Director of Marketing
The Director of Marketing will have all responsibilities inherent in the position, such as working with other Directors and Officers, providing counsel to other Executives when asked, and managing the Department of Marketing. This position works closely with all Directors; much of this Departments' work is given it to it by other executives and administrators and the work needs to be completed in a timely fashion for them to be able to do their work.
Position Level: Executive
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Executive Merit
For questions about the Department of Marketing, you can reach the Director of Marketing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chain of Command
The Director of Marketing reports directly to the Keeper.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions as a member of the Executive Team
- Handles administration tasks for the Department, including any staff/administrator reviews, selecting and replacing any staff/administrators, complaints, reading and responding to monthly and quarterly reports, etc.
- Responsible for keeping Officers updated on all projects and issues in the Department
- Works with all Directors and Officers to develop and maintain the visual aspects of the site and community. Examples of this include official Ajah and Company logos, merit badge icons, and online events graphics, events logos, advertisements in event/conference programs, external marketing/promotional materials.
- Markets our community. Examples of this include working with the Social Media Team to ensure news from inside our community and from the larger WoT community is posted quickly and consistently, developing advertisements and promotional materials for the site, collaborating with publishers and other WoT resources and retailers to provide news and maintain good working relationships, building a strong social media presence to reach out to fans and current/prospective members, ensuring quality and consistency in all official site materials (Web and print), increase SEO.
- Manages our Zazzle store, including coming up with new merchandise ideas to keep our options fresh.
- Creates all promotional materials for our community
- Oversees management of our social media, including the Facebook Group, Facebook Page, and Twitter Account. Also oversees the Tar Valon Times blog and Graphics Development Team.
- Must be able to lead and manage both people and projects.
- Must have creativity and a willingness to try new things.
- Must be diplomatic and collaborative.
- Must currently be able to dedicate at least one year to this position.
- Must be willing and able to work up to 10-15 hours a week on this position (answering emails, checking boards, etc.)
- Have at least one year good standing as a Senior Member.
- Have experience making graphics, both for print and online media. The ideal candidate will have:
- Access to and very strong ability with Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, definitely preferable to have experience with both. Must have at least one of these programs.
- Understanding of (at least basic) graphic design principles. I.e. what's the difference between RGB and CMYK and when to use each one, how to prepare files for print, how to deal with typography, etc.
- Must have experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
Non Essential Qualifications
- Prior experience in the Department of Marketing.
- Familiarity with FTP, Dropbox, HTML/CSS, etc.
- Access to Discord; this department often uses real time chat to brainstorm and discuss projects.
- Online marketing strategies and/or search engine optimization.
- Online newsletter or journalism.
At the 2010 Admin Meeting, the idea was proposed for a Department of Visual Resources. Until this time, the Visual Resources Lead handled the demand for Tower graphics and other members volunteered their services to ad hoc projects. After some discussion, the Department of Marketing was created and there was a need for a new Executive Director.
The role was advertised and Meilen Gevedon was placed into the role to begin to build and run the fledgling Department.
Directors of the Department of Marketing
- Siera al'Cere: April 18, 2022 - present
- Aleita Taviah: February 27, 2021 - April 18, 2022
- Alenya Al'Roran: July 6, 2019 - February 26, 2021
- Jeffan Caliarthan: August 7, 2018 - July 5, 2019
- Jaryd Kosari: April 22, 2017 - August 6, 2018
- Ariadne Davion: December 20, 2013 - April 21, 2017
- Kytheria al'Shea: August 15, 2011 - December 19, 2013
- Meilen Gevedon: June 2010 - August 15, 2011