Master/Mistress of Revels (North America)
The MoR – NA is an Admin level position within the Department of Events and Conferences responsible for planning our large-scale North American Events each year, namely, our Anniversary Event and Fall Ball.
Department: Department of Events and Conferences
Position Level: Administrator
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Administrator Merit
Chain of Command
The Master/Mistress of Revels reports directly to the Director of Events and Conferences.
The Local Liaisons and committee groups for each event report to the Master/Mistress of Revels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help to develop the MoR manual with what he/she learns during training.
- Solicit proposals for each North American Event. Advise members of proposal requirements and aide in preparation of proposals as requested.
- Work with Amyrlin Seat, Keeper, Director of Events and Conferences and Selection Committee to choose location for each North American Event.
- Work with Local Liaison and Director of Events and Conferences to plan details of event.
- Organize and Delegate. You will be working with a strong team of committee leaders, committee members, local liaison, site contacts, and Tower execs who can all help you. Making sure to use them to the benefit of the event and giving them appropriate work is what enables our events to happen.
- Crisis Management. No matter how much pre-planning you do, the unexpected will happen. Recognizing issues early and addressing them calmly and promptly is key.
- Share learnings with other MoRs to ensure continually improving events.
- Must be detail-oriented. You must be able to think logically through the entire event and all needs for members. Everything from transportation, food, activities, payments, registration, marketing, budgeting, materials, decorations, room assignments, negotiations with the site, etc. Almost all of the MoR work is done well in advance of the event.
- Must be organized and discreet. There is a lot of information to keep track of, including legal contracts with the facilities, schedules, and registration information including medical and person data which must be kept confidential.
- Must be able and willing to travel to each North American event at your own expense. Cost of tower event (“event ticket”) is covered for MoR, but not transportation, non-event, etc. expenses.
- Must be professional. Responsibilities of this role include representing our community with outside organizations such as lodging options and vendors, and potentially negotiating contracts with these groups. In addition you are held accountable for the responsible management of the funds many of our members pay to attend events. Professionalism, high-performance, and self-starting are mandatory.
- Must be able to dedicate at least 15 hours per week to this role. This role has some flexibility in when things must be done, but with the magnitude of work and balancing at least two events at any given time, the work load is significant.
- Must have attended at least one official real life event. Helpful, but not required, is attendance at more than one event. Even better is attendance at more than one kind of event (Anni vs. Dragon*Con vs. Euro, etc.). Better still is serving as staff of an event through committee work or similar.
- Must be a member in good standing for at least one year (you need NOT be a senior member).
The Mistress of Revels role was one of the earliest created.
Mistresses of Revels (North America)
- Vivianna L'antreau: April 14, 2016 - present
- Lillian O'Neeus: August 8, 2013 - April 13, 2016 (In Training until June 25, 2014)
- Yelenia Hylraren: December 22, 2010 - June 25, 2014
- Cassandra Dainar: June 5, 2009 - December 22, 2010
- Serinia Edoras: January 22, 2007 - June 5, 2009
- Ne'mireth Simoua: June 29, 2006 - January 22, 2007
- Jenarra Tikvah: May 11, 2005 - June 29, 2006
- Katarianna al'Leya: October 10, 2002 - May 11, 2005 (likely known simply as Mistress of Revels as there were no other equivalent positions until February 2006)
- Zara Ravenwood: Unknown - April 19, 2002 (known as Mistress of Revels)