Strengths in the One Power (Ranked)
Relative strengths of chanellers
This portion is incomplete and will be expanded at a later date
For many of these, an actual strength number on a 72 point scale is given in the companion, but we do not include those numbers here. This also frequently reveals if a person is strong enough to channel.
Information on the strength of many of the women has been given, generally in relation to other women, so a picture of the relative strengths can be built up. Others are just referred to as being of a particular sort of strength, such as "quite strong, not weak or middling". A third type of information comes from people's thoughts on how much they should defer. Finally, people are referred to as being strong enough to do certain things, most notably Travel. From all this, it is possible to work out relative strength for many, though several groups are not connected. Occasionally a woman is referred to as "not strong enough to become Aes Sedai" instead of "Not strong enough to be raised Accepted", and although this implies that a woman can be raised Accepted, but not Aes Sedai, the nature of everything else we learn, indeed the term "Accepted" suggests this isn't so. We do know of some examples in the Companion where someone was raised Accepted for political reasons, even though they could not be Aes Sedai.
Strong enough to become Aes Sedai
This group includes all the Aes Sedai, Accepted and Forsaken.
- Approximately 62.5% of all women who can channel (Tuesday, October 4th, 2005|Robert Jordan's blog)
- Between one fifth and one quarter of the novices in the Tower in the Great Hunt (TGH, Ch. 4) - the difference here may be that weaker women take longer to learn, so the novice ranks tend to be stacked with those who are not strong.
- Around twenty of under a hundred novices in the Tower during the Aiel War (NS, Ch. 3).
- Lisandre (NS, Ch. 6).
- Siuan to Egwene and Nynaeve after their return from Tarabon (TDR, Ch. 14).
- Surandha (LoC, Ch. 27).
- Alarys, Someryn, Belinde, Modarra, Therava, Rhiale, Tion, Meira, Dorailla (ACoS, Prologue).
- Amys and Melaine (ACoS, Ch. 10).
- Berowin, Garenia, Reanne (ACoS, Ch. 23).
- Monaelle, Tialin, Viendra, Tamela (TPoD, Prologue.
- Alivia (WH, Ch. 8)
- Shalon (WH, Ch. 35)
- Larine, Bode (Potential) (CoT, Ch. 30).
- Alvistere (KoD, Ch. 24).
Too weak to be raised Aes Sedai
- Alise, Kaiden, Kumiko (KoD, Ch. 13)
- Sorilea (LoC, Ch. 37).
- Setsuko (NS, Ch. 6)
- Asra (LoC, Ch. 52) (Though she is close)
- Morgase (ACoS, Ch. 22).
- Derys (ACoS, Ch. 23).
- Sarainya (TPoD, Ch. 30).
Strong enough to Travel
Only eight of the Kin can Travel out of one hundred and forty seven (TPoD, Ch. 6) and two of those only weakly. The majority of the Kin, however were put out for being too weak. Julanya and Sabeine are strong enough to Travel, but not strong enough to be part of the Weather Circle *(Naime, Rysaid, Tebraille, Caire (Running it), Metarra, Rainyn, Elayne, Aviendha, Nynaeve, Reanne, Garenia, Kirstian), the same goes for Renaile. Kirstian is in the circle and is the weakest of those for whom their strength is known relative to others. Other than Tebreile, who may have got special dispensation due to Cloud Dancing Talent, the others must all be stronger than Renaile, Sumeko, Julayne and Sabeine.
None of the Knitting Circle were weak (TPoD, Ch. 28). There are eleven surviving members of the knitting circle (Chilares, Reanne, Famelle, Sumuko, Tamarla, Ivara, Ieine, Eldase, Demara, Kirstian, Sibella). Two at least, Reanne and Sumuko can Travel and at least three none Knitting Circle members (Garenia, Julanya and Sabeine), so it seems that at least six of the knitting circle are not strong enough to Travel, yet still considered not weak. However, "several" can Travel.
- A handful of Aes Sedai in Salidar are strong enough to make a gateway larger than they could put their hand through and most not even that (LoC, Ch. 39).
- Cetalia, Anaiya (NS, Ch. 12).
- Alviarin (ACoS, Ch. 7)
- The Windfinders who go with the Bowl from Ebou Dar - Channelle, Shielyn, Renaile, Caire, Tebreile, Dorile, Naime, Rysael, Kurin, Rainyn, Metarra, Talaan, however Elayne judges them as standing "not low, but not high" (TPoD, Ch. 1) She also thinks that Renaile was far from the strongest (TPoD, Ch. 2).
- Therava, someryn (TPoD, Ch. 11)
- Viendra, Tamela (TPoD, Prologue.
- Reane (CoT, Ch. 12 and those of equal or greater strength, Kiruna, Kwamesa , Sheriam (ACoS, Ch. 23), Kirstian (TPoD, Ch. 1), Bera, Masuri, Faeldrin, Rafela, Merana (LoC, Ch. 49).
- Alanna (WH, Ch. 25) plus Merana and Verin (LoC, Ch. 43).
- Sumeko, Sabeine Ocalin, Julanya Fote (CoT, Ch. 14).
- Beonin (KoD, Ch. 2) and those women of equal strength, Morvrin, Maigan, Anaiya ,Myrelle Carlinya (LoC, Ch. 34).
- Taim (LoC, Ch. 3)
- Damer, Eben, Fedwin, Jonan, Manfor, Jahar, Fager, Jur (ACoS, Ch. 7).
- Gedwyn, Rochaid, Nensen (TPoD, Ch. 22)
- Sandomere (KoD, Ch. 27
Not strong enough to Travel
- Most Aes Sedai
- Sisters classed as middling or less (CoT, Ch. 11).
- Adeleas, Vandene (LoC, Ch. 44).
- Monaelle (TPoD, Prologue)
- Merilille, Sareith, Careane (WH, Ch. 26).
- Phaedrin, Shemari (CoT, Ch. 17).
Those on the same line are of aproximately equal strength. Some are estimates. Much is guess work
Excluding the forsaken
Sharina (potential), Alivia
Elayne, Egwene, Aviendha, Metarra
Cadsuane, Someryn, Bode
Elaida, Moiraine*, Romanda, Lelaine, Garenia, Rainyn, Melaine, Amys, Theodrin, Faolain
Sheriam, Kiruna, Bera, Kwamesa, Kirstian, Reanne, (K), Masuri, Faeldrin, Rafela
Anaiya, Morvin, Beonin, Carlinya, Maigan
Akkarin, Siuan, Therva
Others, who can be compared to each other, but do not have a certain place in the above list.. Those on the same line are not necessarily equal, just stronger than those on the line below
Shannelle, Renaile, Shielyn, Naime, Rysaid, Tebraille, Caire, Metara, Raiyne (All WF), Alviarin, Sumeko, Sabeine, Julanye
Vandene, Adeleas, Phaedrine, Shemari, Aiden, Zemaille
Joline = Teslyn
Vandene, Adeleas, Sareitha, Merilille
Alanna = Verin = Merana
Tialin (WO), Demira
Pevara = Saerin = Yukiri
Chesmal, Asne, Temaile