Word of the Day: July 2015
Author: Zandera Sommers
Welcome to the Word of the Day for July 2015!
This month features some quirky, little-known holidays, such as July 4th, which is Sidewalk Egg Frying Day. We also have a set of delicious holidays on July 29th and 30th, which are National Lasagna Day and National Cheesecake Day respectively. I much prefer those to July 16th, which is Fresh Spinach Day!
Words for July
- July 1st: jeté - noun - "a jump forward, backward, or to the side, from one foot to the other."
- July 2nd: Bedlam - noun - "a scene or state of wild uproar and confusion."
- July 3rd: Rutilant - adjective - "glowing or glittering with ruddy or golden light."
- July 4th: Squeegee - noun - "an implement edged with rubber or the like, for removing water from windows after washing, sweeping water from wet decks, etc."
- July 5th: Gat - verb - archaic; "simple past tense of get."
- July 6th: Euchre - noun - "cards. a game played by two, three, or four persons, usually with the 32, but sometimes with the 28 or 24, highest cards in the pack."
- July 7th: Inequity - noun - "lack of fairness or justice."
- July 8th: Descant - noun - "a melody or counterpoint accompanying a simple musical theme and usually written above it."
- July 9th: Dapple - noun or verb - "a small contrasting blotch; also, to mark with spots."
- July 10th: Provisional - adjective - "accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary."
- July 11th: Remex - noun - "one of the flight feathers of the wing."
- July 12th: Wadi - noun - "the channel of a watercourse that is dry except during periods of rainfall."
- July 13th: Nieve - noun - "a clenched or closed hand; fist."
- July 14th: Jupon - noun - "a close-fitting tunic, usually padded and bearing heraldic arms, worn over armor."
- July 15th: Skylark - verb - "to frolic; sport."
- July 16th: Zappy - adjective - "energetic, lively, or fast-moving; zippy."
- July 17th: Pullet - noun - "a young hen, less than one year old."
- July 18th: Os - noun - "a bone."
- July 19th: Roue - noun - "a dissolute and licentious man; rake."
- July 20th: Quotha - interjection - archaic; "indeed! (used ironically or contemptuously in quoting another)."
- July 21st: Tizzy - noun - "a sixpence."
- July 22nd: Poi - noun - "a Hawaiian dish made of the root of the taro baked, pounded, moistened, and fermented."
- July 23rd: Jole - noun - "jowl."
- July 24th: Assay - verb - "to examine or analyze."
- July 25th: Bailiwick - noun - "a person's specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill, or work."
- July 26th: Gawk - verb - "to stare stupidly; gape."
- July 27th: Lek - noun - "a traditional place where males assemble during the mating season and engage in competitive displays that attract females."
- July 28th: Sciolism - noun - "superficial knowledge."
- July 29th: Wot - verb - "first and third person singular present of wit."
- July 30th: Facetious - adjective - "treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant."
- July 31st: Coxa - noun - "the joint of the hip."