Word of the Day: June 2015
Author: Zandera Sommers
Welcome to the Word of the Day for June 2015!
There are some wonderfully unusual words to variegate your conversation in the article below. I hope they bring mirth to your day and cause small chat to become much more engrossing. This month brings the very interesting day of June 21st, which is both Father's Day this year and the Summer Solstice, which is the longest day of the year. Please enjoy!
Words for June
- June 1st: Antiquated - adjective - "old-fashioned or outdated."
- June 2nd: Chortle - verb - "to utter, or express with, a snorting, exultant laugh or chuckle."
- June 3rd: Novation - noun - "the introduction of something new; innovation."
- June 4th: Pied - adjective - "having patches of two or more colors, as various birds and other animals."
- June 5th: Sabbatical - noun - "any extended period of leave from one's customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc."
- June 6th: Rakish - adjective - "smart; jaunty; dashing."
- June 7th: Hyperbole - noun - "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally."
- June 8th: Futz - verb - "to pass time in idleness."
- June 9th: Exculpate - verb - "to clear from alleged fault or guilt."
- June 10th: Conciliate - verb - "to overcome the distrust or hostility of; placate; win over."
- June 11th: Ethereal - adjective - "extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world."
- June 12th: Tempest - noun - "a violent windy storm."
- June 13th: Prescience - noun - "knowledge of events before they take place."
- June 14th: Ineluctable - adjective - "unable to be resisted or avoided; inescapable."
- June 15th: Equivocate - verb - "to be deliberately ambiguous or unclear."
- June 16th: Offal - noun - "the edible internal parts of an animal, such as the heart, liver, and tongue."
- June 17th: Fortnight - noun - "a period of two weeks; fourteen days."
- June 18th: Runic - adjective - "having some secret or mysterious meaning."
- June 19th: Gasconade - noun - verb - "extravagant boasting; boastful talk."
- June 20th: Flounce - verb - "to go with impatient, exaggerated movements."
- June 21st: Progenitor - noun - "a biologically related ancestor."
- June 22nd: Aesthetic - adjective - "concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty."
- June 23rd: Spirituel - adjective - "showing or having a refined and graceful mind or wit."
- June 24th: Fain - adverb - adjective - "gladly; willingly."
- June 25th: Glower - noun - verb - "to look or stare with sullen dislike, discontent, or anger."
- June 26th: Effloresce - verb - "to burst into bloom; blossom."
- June 27th: Torrefy - verb - "to subject to fire or intense heat."
- June 28th: Purloin - verb - "to take dishonestly; steal."
- June 29th: Concupiscible - adjective - "worthy of being desired."
- June 30th: Addendum - noun - "an item of additional material, typically omissions, added at the end of a book or other publication."