The Eye of the World: Chapter 21
From Tar Valon Library
Author: Arn Oakenskye
Listen to the Wind
Chapter Icon: A Staff
Point of View: Nynaeve
Setting: Woods along the River Arinelle
Nynaeve catches up with Moiraine and Lan and learns she can channel. She agrees to go with them to find the boys
Nynaeve wakes in a hallow near the River Arinelle and sets out downriver with her horse. She warily watches the woods for Trollocs as well as the ground ahead of her for any tracks that'll help lead her to the boys and Egwene.
Nynaeve catches the scent of wood smoke and stalks through the woods to a clearing where Moiraine and Lan are speaking. Hiding behind a tree Nynaeve listens to Moiraine and Lan talk about the Trollocs the night before and wonder how they'd gotten so far from the Borderlands so quickly. Moiraine tells Lan that she'd done some searching and says that one of the boys is across the river and there is a faint trace of the others downriver.
Moiraine senses Nynaeve and tells her to come out and Lan whirls around drawing his sword. Nynaeve feels some satisfaction that the Warder was unaware of her. Nynaeve approaches Moiraine demanding to know what dirty Aes Sedai schemes she got Egwene and the boys into. Lan raises his arm and bars Nynaeve's way. Moiraine tells Nynaeve that she can wield the One Power and that's how could sense her. Nynaeve thinks that the Aes Sedai is trying to off balance her and denies what Moiraine says.
Moiraine talks of the people in Emond's Field telling her about all the wonderful things their young Wisdom could do. Nynaeve only answers that Mistress Barran taught her well. Moiraine goes on saying that some years ago there must've been something Nynaeve wanted more than anything else and she got it. Moiraine says that Nynaeve must've Healed either Egwene or Perrin and that is how she had found them at the inn in Baerlon.
Moiraine tells Nynaeve that she is lucky to of managed crude control of the Power, that if she hadn't, it would've killed her as it may kill Egwene if she is untrained. Nynaeve replies that if she could learn to control it, so could Egwene. Moiraine says that the reactions from using the Power will eventually lead to a violent death that would last days and that there is nothing that can be done once it's begun.
Nynaeve also learns from Moiraine that she has great potential and with training could become even more powerful than Egwene who could be one of the most powerful in centuries. Nynaeve asks hesitantly for Moiraine not to tell anyone about this.
When asked about the boys, Moiraine says that the Dark One wants them and that she opposes anything the Dark One wants. Moiraine tells Lan that they will be heading south and that the Wisdom will not be accompanying them to which Nynaeve replies that she will, thinking to herself she will not leave the Emond's Fielders alone with an Aes Sedai.
Lan goes to recover Nynaeve's horse and Nynaeve smiles, thinking that he'll never find her tracks. Moiraine says she'll be able to find the boys by a token she had given each of them. Two of the boys have lost their coins though, so Moiraine believes they will need her help first even though the third boy is only a few miles away across the river. Nynaeve is worried about Egwene, but the Aes Sedai says it's the boys the Dark One wants, not Egwene.
Lan returns with Nynaeve's horse and they set out south.
- What are the ways and why are they closed?
- Why does Moiraine expect opposition from the Amyrlin
- Nynaeve found the Stag and Lion because Egwene was there and she had once Healed Egwene of Breakbone fever
- She asks Moiraine who said she was too young to be Wisdom
- She is pleased that Lan didn’t realise she was watching them
- She does not like the look from Lan when he learns she can channel
- She still thinks of Aes Sedai as being Darkfriends
- She thinks Lan is mocking her by obviously omitting the word “Sedai”
- When Lan goes to fetch her horse, she expects him to fail and looks forward to the feeling of satisfaction. She only feels a tiny blow when he manages it
- She eventually accepts she can channel and agrees to go to Tar Valon for revenge against Moiraine
- Lan seems surprised and speculative when Moiraine says Nynaeve can channel
- Lan’s eyes widen when he sees her crying