The Shadow Rising: Chapter 12
Author: Inanna Landred
Chapter Icon: Flame of Tar Valon
Point of View: Elayne
Setting: The Stone of Tear
Egwene decides to go to the Waste to learn from the Wise Ones Dreamwalkers, while Elayne and Nynaeve will go to Tanchico
The women finally manage to wake Egwene up from her trip to Tel'aran'rhiod and Egwene tells them of meeting Amys and her orders to go to Cold Rocks Hold. Egwene asks Aviendha if she knows Amys and Cold Rocks Hold. From Aviendha they learn that Amys was Far Dareis Mai before she became a Dreamwalker and Wise One. Aviendha briefly explains about Aiel relationships and that Amys is sister-wife to Lian, who is Aviendha's sister-mother.
The girls are shocked when they hear about the Aiel customs for women marrying the same man. Egwene tells them what Amys said about there being evil in Tanchico. They decide it would be best for Egwene to go to Amys and learn as much as she can about Tel'aran'rhiod even though it means leaving Elayne and Nynaeve behind to look for the Black Ajah.
At this point Moiraine enters the room to inform them about Joiya's and Amico's killing during the attack on the Stone. She describes the gruesome way they were killed and it makes the women sick to their stomachs. They wonder why they were killed and by whom. Moiraine says the guards never saw anyone come down to the dungeons, so it seems the Shadow has more resources than they know.
When they tell her of Egwene's plans to go to the Waste, Aviendha remarks she would rather stay with Elayne and Nynaeve to go to Tanchico.
The women are very surprised at Aviendha's refusal to go with Egwene and Aviendha is indeed behaving very strangely. She almost seems to be sulking.
At this point Moiraine produces a letter from the Wise Ones stating that Aviendha is to come to them at Rhuidean. Aviendha's behaviour becomes even stranger as she proclaims she is Far Dareis Mai and does not go running at everyone's beck and call. Aviendha balks and storms out the room, while the others are left behind in wonder. Egwene wonders why the Wise Ones want Aviendha. They finally settle down to prepare for their trips to the Waste and Tanchico. Moiraine tells them there is a Atha'an Miere ship at the docks that they can take to Tanchico.
- She decides she needs to go to the Waste to learn how to control her dreams
- She also agrees to give up the dream ter'angreal
- She was shocked at the idea that Amico and Joiya could have been killed as punishment
- Secondsisters in the Aiel traidtion are women, whose mothers are sisters
- Fathersisters are women, whose fathers are brothers
- Fathersisters are not considered as closely related as secondsisters
- Sisterwives are women who have the same husband
- In Aiel custom, the woman is the one who asks the man to marry her. A man can make his wish known, but he will need to wait for the woman to ask first
- First Mention
- Moiraine has heard of Dreamwalkers - What has she heard? The Aiel are usually very secretive and Aes Sedai are generally dismissive of the idea of others knowing things they don't