Author: Val a'Shain
Couladin is a Shaido Aiel of the Domai sept. His warrior society is the Black Eyes (The Shadow Rising, Glossary). Couladin is tall, broad-shouldered, flame-haired, and short of his middle years (TSR, Ch. 23). He's a very emotional man. He is ambitious and gets upset easily, especially over what he sees as violation of Aiel custom. His temper makes him easy to manipulate.
Despite his concern over Aiel customs he breaks them a number of times, pretending to be a clan chief, claiming to be He Who Comes with the Dawn and making people who don't follow ji'e'toh gai'shain. This alienates him and the Shaido from the other Aiel clans and leads to a confrontation near Cairhien where he is killed.
- Couladin argues with the Wise Ones about entering Rhuidean on the day of Rand's arrival. He is very upset over the fact Rand and Mat are allowed to go when he isn't (TSR, Ch. 23).
- Couladin accuses Rand of murdering his brother when Rand returns from Rhuidean. When Couladin and a number of Shaido attack Rand and Mat, Bair threatens to outlaw him. When Rand proclaims himself Car'a'carn he refuses to accept it and retreats to the Shaido camp (TSR, Ch. 34).
- Couladin takes the Shaido in a separate party to the meeting place of the clan chiefs (TSR, Ch. 36).
- Couladin starts assuming the role of clan chief without the trip to Rhuidean or the Wise Ones' support (TSR, Ch. 37).
- Couladin leaves Rand's party and hurries to Alcair Dal to talk to Sevanna before Rand arrives (TSR, Ch. 50).
- Couladin, now counseled by Sevanna, claims to be Car'a'carn. He shows then the dragons on his arms and claims to have been to Rhuidean. Rand tells the gathered Aiel the secret of Rhuidean, only known to those who went in before. Couladin doesn't believe Rand and tells the Aiel he is lying. The clan chiefs now know him for a liar. The Shaido, without a clan chief at that time, follow Couladin (TSR, Ch. 57).
- Couladin, the Shaido, and the Aiel who follow him make for the Jangai Pass and Cairhien. Rand follows as quickly as he can (TFoH, Ch. 2; Ch. 6).
- Couladin razes the town of Taien almost to the ground. He kills or captures almost the entire population. The ones he captured are made gai'shain in violation of Aiel custom. The clan chiefs following Rand feel he has abandonned ji'e'toh (TFoH, Ch. 20).
- Couladin proceeds to the city of Cairhien and lays siege to it, burning and pillaging as much as he can without slowing him down. He burns Foregate, almost setting fire to the city itself, and proclaims himself He Who Comes with the Dawn to the city (TFoH, Ch. 30).
- Rand catches up with the Shaido and forces Couladin to fight. In the biggest battle seen since the Aiel War, Rand pushes the Shaido away from the city and into the Kinslayer's Dagger (TFoH, Ch. 41-Ch. 45).
- Mat kills Couladin in battle (TFoH, Ch. 45).
Mat thinks Couladin is a very good fighter (TFoH, Ch. 45).
- The Wise Ones consider Couladin flawed within (TSR, Ch. 23).
- Sevanna is using Couladin (and anyone else she can use) to achieve her personal goals.
The flame-haired man's face grew red. "My first-brother will return marked as clan chief, and we will lead the Shaido to great honor! We mean to --!" He snapped his mouth shut, almost quivering. (Couladin awaiting Muradin's return form Rhuidean; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 23)
"You accept this outlander as one of us," he rasped, pointing at Rand with the spear he had attempted to use on Mat. "If you say it, then so be it. He is still a soft wetlander, and Rhuidean will kill him." The spear swung to Mat, who was trying to slip a knife back up his sleeve without being noticed. "But he -- it is death for him to be here, and sacrilege for him to even ask to enter Rhuidean. None but those of the blood may enter. None!" (Couladin objecting to Mat going into Rhuidean; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 23)
"Muradin, wetlander! He entered two days before you, yet you come out first. He could not fail where you survive! You must have murdered him!" (Couladin to Rand after Rand's return from Rhuidean; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 34)
Sevanna smiled smugly, adjusting her shawl, as Couladin strode to the front of the ledge with his arms high. "I bring change!" he shouted. "According to the prophecy, I bring new days! We will cross the Dragonwall again, and take back what was ours! The wetlanders are soft, but rich! You remember the wealth brought back when last we went into the Wetlands! This time, we will take it all! This time... !" (Couladin proclaiming himself to be the Car'a'carn; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 57)
"Liar!" The canyon's shape carried Couladin's bellow, wrath mixed with triumph, over the shouts of the gathering. Shaking her head frantically, Sevanna reached for him. She must at least have suspected now that he was the fake, yet if she could keep him quiet they might yet pull it off. As Rand hoped, Couladin pushed her away. The man knew Rand had been to Rhuidean -- he could not possibly believe half of his own story -- but neither could he believe this. "He proves himself a fraud from his own mouth! We have always been warriors! Always! To the beginning of time!" (Couladin exposing himself as a liar; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 57)