The Shadow Rising: Chapter 5
Author: Asandra al'Terra
Point of View: Egwene
Setting: The Stone of Tear
The girls interview the captured Black Ajah members
Egwene is in the Stone, sitting with Aviendha and Nynaeve, and wondering where Moiraine went. Nynaeve speaks about their lack of choice except to go to Tanchico, whilst Egwene answers that she is not convinced. The two Accepted - who are acting as Aes Sedai - are speaking of their hunt for the Black Ajah.
Joiya and Amico, two Black sisters, are being held captive in the room, bound by Air and with their ears stopped up. A shield stops Joiya from touching the Source; there is no need for one with Amico - she has been stilled. When she is ungagged, Amico said that they should go to Tanchico, that there was something very dangerous to Rand there. Not a word had changed from what she had said during previous questionings. She is bound again, and then Joiya is unbound. The Black sister begins a speech on repenting her sins and the like, but Egwene does not believe a word of it. She commands Joiya to tell her tale, but using different words. The sister complies, and says that the Black Ajah intended to break Mazrim Taim - who is traveling to the Tower to be gentled - free, proclaim him the Dragon Reborn, and give his name as Rand al'Thor; and make him destroy the world a great deal. Nynaeve interrupts, saying that the Dragon was reborn, and that the Pattern would not accept another Dragon. Egwene, however, ushers the other woman to continue. Joiya begins speaking again. Rand al'Thor would be blamed for the things the impostor did. The countries would unite against him, crushing him, and he would be destroyed. Tarmon Gai'don would arrive, and the Dark One would win with no Dragon to face him.
Egwene thinks about their two answers, and decides that Amico's is more plausible. At that moment, Moiraine strides in, her face a thunderhead, with Elayne following.
- She has taken to preferentially wearing colours Lan likes on her
- How did Liandrin learn of the thing that could control Rand?
- How would that object be also dangerous to whoever used it too?
- Moiraine chooses to bring Elayne with her to go see Rand and not one of the Emond's Field girls
- Egwene and Aviendha have become friends, but Aviendha seems largely indifferent to Elayne
- The plan Joiya outlines for Taim does seem ambitious for what is apparently a fairly low ranking member of the Black Ajah
- Moiraine has allowed the people in the Stone to believe the girls are Aes Sedai - a lie of ommision
This section contains Notes on this Chapter which may contain spoilers. Please expand to view.
- Moiraine has ordered Aviendha to stay with Egwene and Nynaeve, probably because Moiraine has sensed her ability to channel and wants to keep her close
- Joiya has not been stilled, so the oath to not betray any Black Ajah plan still holds her. We can therefore conclude that her story of trying to free Mazrim Taim is not true.
- Amico new Liandrin, Chesmal and Rhianna
Two of these must have been in her heart, and the other her "one more". We later see Liandrin only knew one of the other twelve, so it is likely Amico, Chesmal and Rhianna were a heart, though as they joined the Black Ajah decades apart, this is not certain. However, as Amico had only been Aes Sedai for around 7 years at this time, it is probable that whoever she was initially assigned as her heart would still be the same. We do know that there are around 1000 Aes Sedai, and that as they live 250-300 years, we probably have 3-4 die each year. At the time of the books, there are only 7-8 Novices strong enough to be raised Accepted and that there were fewer than 50 Accepted. That does suggest 6-8 women raised Aes Sedai each year, assuming an average of 7-8 years as an Accepted, based on all the times we know.
- Amico has lost the Ageless look