Ethenielle Cosaru Noremaga
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Queen Ethenielle's full title is: Her Most Illumined Majesty, Ethenielle Cosaru Noremaga, By the Blessing of the Light, Queen of Kandor, Protector of the Land, Shield of the North, High Seat of House Noremaga (The Strike at Shayol Ghul). There seems to be a bit of confusion as to her actual name; the Wheel of Time RPG, as well as 'Strike at Shayol Ghul,' gives her name as Ethenielle Kirukon Materasu, while the Guide gives her name as Ethenielle Cosaru Noremaga. It is not known if they are the same person, with just a simple mistake on Robert Jordan's part, or if they are two different people.
Ethenielle, now a widow, was once married to Prince Consort Brys; he was the Swordbearer to the Throne of the Clouds, as well as the general of the Kandori army. He was killed twenty years ago by the Black Ajah. One of her sons, Diryk, was also murdered. At the time, Ethenielle was in south Kandor with her other son, Antol. She also has a daughter named Jarene, who is married to King Easar's third son. Antol is married to one of King Paitar's grandaughters.
- Ethenielle, along with her son Antol, is in south Kandor (New Spring).
- Merilille meets with Ethenielle and the others (WH, Ch. 26).
- Elayne meets with Ethenielle and the other Borderlands rulers. An agreement is reached; they will move their armies through Andor to reach Rand, while Elayne hopes that a foreign army will cause the Houses of Andor to band together and put her on the throne (WH, Ch. 27).
- She slaps Rand and tells him she came south to bring order to the world (ToM, Ch. 51).
- She swears fealty to Rand so that he will take her and her armies to Tar'mon Gaidon (ToM, Ch. 51).
- She isn't at the meeting where the Dragon's Peace is signed as she is trying to organise refugees in Kandor (AMoL, Ch. 5).
- She realises Kandor is lost and turns the rescue over to the Aes Sedai so she can join the other Borderlanders at Tarwin's Gap (AMoL, Ch. 9)
Ethenielle, of course, has relationships with each of the Borderlands rulers. She thinks that Tenobia is too young, and believes strongly that she should be married, in the hopes that it will stabilize her. She also thinks that 'Tenobia took delight in shocking Domani and making Altarans seem drab. Saldaean tempers were legendary; hers was wildfire in a high wind, and you could never tell what would provide the spark.' (TPoD, Prologue).
When she was younger, Ethenielle admired Paitar; she thinks that he was a 'stunningly handsome older man.' She thinks that Easar Togita makes Paitar look soft. She trusts both of them (TPoD, Prologue).
Ethenielle's First Councilor is Lady Serailla. She obviously trusts Serailla because of the position she holds. Her Swordbearer is Lord Baldhere. As he commands her army, she must obviously trust him as well.
Prophecies and Viewings
- Her Aes Sedai advisor, Nianh, left without notice when word of the White Tower split arrived (TPoD, Prologue).
- One of her ancestors is Surasa; Surasa believed that the weather would 'heed her wishes just because she held the Throne of the Clouds.'
- Her Swordbearer, Lord Baldhere, has held this position since her husband, Lord Brys died. He carries the Sword of Kirukan.
- She is known for meddling in the affairs of the Souther lands (ToM, Ch. 51).
"What I've left behind can guard the Blight short of the Trolloc Wars coming again. I trust you've all done as well. It hardly matters, though. Does anyone believe we truly can turn back now?" (Ethenielle to the other Borderlands rulers; The Path of Daggers, Prologue)
"Thirteen sisters. All that is needed is for one of them to find some way to send a message. A few lines. A soldier or a mad intimidated. Does any of you think you can stop them?" (Ethenielle to the other Borderlands rulers; The Path of Daggers, Prologue)
"I might like your ferocity another time, Elayne Sedai, but there's little to enjoy falling into an ambush that one of your own allies has helped lay." (Ethenielle to Elayne; Winter's Heart, Chapter 27)
"I am glad someone finds this amusing. Try to think like a southlander, Paitar. They play the Game of Houses here, and I think she is being very clever at it. She should be, I suppose; I've always heard that Aes Sedai created Daes Da'mar." (Ethenielle to the other Borderlands rulers; Winter's Heart, Chapter 27)