The Eye of the World: Chapter 42
From Tar Valon Library
Author: Val a'Shain
Remembrance of Dreams
Chapter Icon: Two Crows
Point of View: Rand
Location: The Queen's Blessing
Several of them tell of stories that the Dark One means to blind the Eye of the World. Moiraine decides to go to the Blight to prevent it
Rand takes Perrin, Egwene and Nynaeve down to the library and introduces the amazed party to Loial. While they wait for Moiraine and Lan to join them they exchange news and ask Loial questions about Ogier. After a while Mat comes down with Moiraine. He looks healthy but Moiraine hasn't been able to sever the ties to the dagger. That will have to be done in Tar Valon. She has been able to contain the attraction of the dagger to Darkfriends and Shadowspawn though.
Moiraine is introduced to Loial and asks him to leave so the company can talk. Rand tells Moiraine that he promised Loial he could join them. Moiraine accepts this and asks Lan to keep guard. Moiraine tells them they cannot remain Caemlyn long. After some discussion Moiraine finds out Rand met Elaida and the royal family of Andor.
Loial has a question he wants to ask Moiraine. He tells about a man who came to the stedding at the end of the Aiel War, some twenty years ago. The man was hurt and talked about the Dark One trying to blind the Eye of the World and killing the Great Serpent, time itself. This reminds Perrin of a story he heard among the Tinkers of an Aiel Maiden saying the same thing. This news troubles Moiraine greatly.
Perrin thinks that it is time now to tell Moiraine about the dreams Mat, Rand and he have been having. Moiraine is very displeased the boys didn't bring this up sooner. She thinks she could have helped them but it is too late now. She explains the boys how they can keep Ba'alzamon from hurting them in their dreams by denying him. Perrin replies he has already found his protection.
After hearing the conversation about the dreams Loial concludes all three boys are ta'veren. Moiraine agrees. She thinks they should get out of the city and travel to the Blight to warn the Green Man of this threat but realize that they will be attacked by the Trollocs outside the city as soon as they leave. The only solutions Moiraine can think of is asking Loial to guide them to a Waygate and travel the Ways. Moiraine tries to convince Loial but when pressed he flatly refuses to do it.
- Who was the man that visited the stedding, why was he ill and did he make it to Tar Valon?
- What is a Dreamwalker and why has there not been one in 1000 years and why does Moiraine think she could try?
- How does being near Moiraine protect people?
- Why are the Ways fatal?
- What is the Eye of the World and the Great Serpent?
- How did the Forsaken bind men to them?
- Why does Loial decide all three are ta'veren
Mat and Rand have not been apart, there seems no reason to suppose both are ta'veren
Perrin is the one to decide to tell Moiraine about Ba'alzamon.
- First Mention
Aginor, Demandred, Balthamel, Lanfear
- Literacy isn't 100% - people who can read are generally rich enough to afford more expensive inns
- All the Aes Sedai in Caemlyn with Logain were red.
- Loial has been gone from the stedding for three years.
- "None of the Forsaken had a tenth of the strength of their master" - Moiraine quote. Though literally true, it is quite bizarre
- Loial knows of Mafal Dadaranel, but has not heard of the modern town of Fal Dara.