From Tar Valon Library
The Tower Voices are responsible for maintaining our Facebook and Twitter accounts for posting relevant TV.Net AND fantasy literature news. Voices also ensure that our social media outlets are used to help promote TarValon.Net to a wider audience.
This position is also responsible for posting news content on the main site News on occasion. This position involves public interaction with both TV.Net members and the Wheel of Time fan community at large.
Chain of Command
The Tower Voices report to the Director of Marketing. This is a shared position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain our Facebook and Twitter feeds with relevant information (announcements from TarValon.Net; news from Tor and the WoT community; interact with fans as needed on Twitter especially)
- Research and implement new social media/content for TarValon.Net
- Work with the Graphics Development Team on any necessary graphics for news (i.e. Twitter themes, images for blog articles on the main site, etc.)
- Write and post articles for the main Site News where appropriate; generally WoT news and major site news
- Work with the External Marketing Coordinator and Director to help us reach new members via social media
- Check official email regularly to ensure that all site news posting requests are acknowledged
- Must have been a member in good standing for at least 6 months
- Must be able to dedicate approximately 5 hours per week to this position
- Must be able to access the boards and Facebook/Twitter frequently. If you only check Site Announcements once a week, this position is not for you. If you're always online, perhaps you're a good fit. We need someone who will be able to post news promptly.
- Be interested in WoT news and the community at large -- whether that means you're also a member of Dragonmount, or you attend conferences, or you stalk Tor's Twitter account
- Excellent familiarity with social media platforms and strategies
- Good English grammar, spelling, and writing skills
- Able to work with a team and a co-Voice
- Ability/interest with social media analytics is a plus, but not required
- Skills with haiku or limericks might prove useful as well
- Ideal candidate will be in a time zone other than the co-Voice (Laralelle). Since our membership is global, News may not always be posted at the most ideal time for all members, but we do strive to encompass our diversity as best we can. Also, having the Voices in different time zones ensures that post attempts will not clash with/override one another. However, being in the same time zone will not exclude you from eligibility.
The position was discontinued after Mellyn stepped down. It was reinstated in November 2009 when the increasing importance of social media such as Facebook and Twitter necessitated having a position within the Tower to run those sites. Initially it was set within the Department of Research, which was temporarily renamed Department of Research and communications, but moved to the Department of Marketing when that Department formed.
- Anastazia Tomlinson - date unknown - January 21, 2002
- Laralelle Susandrea - February 29, 2012 - April 09,2014
- Loraella Melodie - September 13, 2010 - February 29, 2012
- Melana al'Cairera - January 21, 2002 - March 9, 2003
- Mellyn al'Baya - March 10, 2003 - January 13, 2007
- Mhór Rioghain Blathnaid - August 24, 2011 - August 10, 2012
- Stasia t'Andrei - November 24, 2009 - August 24, 2011