Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Semaradrid of House Maravin is a high-ranking Cairhienin nobleman. He is dark-eyed with white streaks in his hair at his temples, hollow cheeks and a hard face. He wears the front of his head shaved and powdered like a soldier (LoC, Ch. 4; TPoD, Ch. 13).
He wears slashes of his House colors to below his waist (LoC, Ch. 4).
- Semaradrid is among the nobles Rand meets on the Plains of Maredo, close to the border of Tear. They discuss Sammael's defenses in Illian and High Lord Weiramon claims that he and Semaradrid could conquer them in two months at most (LoC, Ch. 4).
- When Rand is about to meet with one of the bands of Illianer soldiers loyal to "Lord Brend" (Sammael), Semaradrid tries to convince him that talking is a waste of time. Instead, he speaks in favor of fighting them (TPoD, Ch. 13).
- Semaradrid, Gregorin, Tolmeran, Weiramon and Rosana arrive with the news that the men nearby acquiesced, just to find Rand laughing very hard - what they cannot know is that Lews Therin has come back after having disappeared from Rand's head (TPoD, Ch. 14).
- He does not appreciate fighting against the Seanchan with only six thousand men, because he does not know that the force that the Asha'man represent is more than adequate (TPoD, Ch. 22).
- He follows Weiramon's lead into the battle against the Seanchan. Afterwards, he shares his saddle-flask with Gueyam (TPoD, Ch. 23).
- Semaradrid leads Torean, Maraconn and Ershin Netari into the final battle against the Seanchan. With the channeling of the Asha'man, the battle gets out of control, and Bashere sends order to Semaradrid, Gregorin and Weiramon to rally to Rand (TPoD, Ch. 24).
His House has been allied to House Riatin for a long time (TPoD, Ch. 21).
Rand does not really trust Semaradrid at first and did not regard him as very bright (TPoD, Ch. 13). After some skirmishes against the Seanchan, however, Rand does not think him a fool anymore (TPoD, Ch. 24). Semaradrid, on the other hand, is doubtful of whether or not Rand is still completely sane and does not immediately believe his claim that the Forsaken are loose (LoC, Ch. 4). He watches Rand closely to assure himself of his state of mind (TPoD, Ch. 21).
- He moves stiffly because of the wounds he received from fighting in Cairhien's civil war. Additionally, he has a limp from fighting the Tairens (LoC, Ch. 4).
- He hopes that the next person to occupy the Sun Throne will be someone he will be able to follow (TPoD, Ch. 13).
- Despite being a noble, Semaradrid suffered from hunger just like the commoners during the civil war and the Shaido siege (LoC, Ch. 4).
"He cared nothing for the King of Illian, and little enough for the Dragon Reborn, except that the throne of Cairhien was Rand's to give, and Semaradrid hoped it would be given to one he could follow instead of fight." (Rand on Semaradrid; The Path of Daggers, Chapter 13)