Author: Estyrien al'Halien
|Wheel of Time Random Quote|
The full name was not recorded in the main series, but was given in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Liandrin Guirale is an Aes Sedai of the Black Ajah, though she posed as Red Ajah (TSR, Ch. 38). She swore her oaths as a Darkfriend before she went to the White Tower and sought out the Black Ajah as soon as she knew she could channel (TFoH, Ch. 18).
Liandrin convinced Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne and Min that Rand needed their help (TGH, Ch. 38). She took them to Toman Head, through the Ways, and betrayed them to the Seanchan on Ishamael's orders (TGH, Ch. 40). She then returned to the White Tower and received further orders. Liandrin and twelve other Black sisters stole several ter'angreal from the Tower storerooms and then fled Tar Valon. In their haste to leave, the Black sisters killed twenty one people, including three sisters and two warders. (TDR, Ch. 13) Liandrin was the leader of the group (TSR, Ch. 38).
Liandrin and the others traveled to Tear and stayed in the Stone of Tear, obeying Be'lal. Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene went to Tear to find them but Liandrin captured them again. (TDR, Ch. 51) Liandrin and the other Black sisters had to flee Tear when Rand claimed the Stone. They went to Tanchico in search of the male a'dam. Liandrin had Jaichim Carridin seize the Panarch's Palace for them so that they could locate the a'dam. (TSR, Ch. 38) However, when riots broke out in the city, Liandrin and the others were once again forced to run (TFoH, Ch. 18).
Liandrin traveled to Amador and stayed in a Darkfriend merchant's house. It was there that Moghedien found them. She took command of the group away from Liandrin and assigned the Black sisters tasks. Liandrin was ordered to search for Nynaeve, though she and her fellow Blacks had little success. (TFoH, Ch. 18) When Moghedien was attacked by Nynaeve in Tel'aran'rhiod and was at her weakest, Liandrin seized her chance to try to Compel the Forsaken. Unfortunately for her, Moghedien blocked her attack and decided to punish her. She shielded her and Compelled her to live. Moghedien then ordered Temaile to hurt Liandrin and sent her to work as a servant (TFoH, Ch. 34). When the Seanchan invaded Amadicia, Liandrin was captured. She was made da'covale and was forced to serve the High Lady Suroth (TPoD, Ch. 24). Suroth wanted to train her to become the perfect da'covale but was forced to consider collaring her when rumours began circulating that there was a marath'damane in her household (KoD, Prologue).
Liandrin has dark brown eyes and honey-coloured hair, which she wears in braids. She is pretty and has a doll’s face and a rosebud mouth. She is taller than Moiraine by a hand (TGH, Ch. 4). She is slightly taller than Nynaeve (TDR, Ch. 49). She has the ageless face of an Aes Sedai (TPoD, Ch. 24).
- Unknown: Liandrin swears oaths to the Shadow before she goes to the White Tower (TFoH, Ch. 18).
- 998 NE: Liandrin attends a Darkfriend meeting near Shayol Ghul on the orders of Ishamael (TSR, Ch. 38).
- 998 NE: Liandrin disappears shortly after Moiraine leaves the group of sisters traveling back to Tar Valon (TGH, Ch. 12).
- 998 NE: Liandrin takes Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene and Min to Toman Head to be captured by Suroth and her Seanchan soldiers (TGH, Ch. 40).
- Late 998/ Early 999 NE: Liandrin and the twelve other Black sisters flee the Tower (TDR, Ch. 13).
- 999 NE: Liandrin, Rianna, Joiya and Amico capture Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene in Tear (TDR, Ch. 51).
- 999 NE: Liandrin orders Jaichim Carridin to move his soldiers into the Panarch's Palace and hold it for the Black sisters. (TSR, Ch. 38)
- 999 NE: Liandrin flees Tanchico during the riots and heads to Amador. (TFoH, Ch. 18)
- 999 NE: Moghedien orders Liandrin, Chesmal, Eldrith, Asne and Temaile to search for Nynaeve. (TFoH, Ch. 18)
- 999 NE: Liandrin tries to Compel Moghedien and so she shields Liandrin and Compels her to live. (TFoH, Ch. 34)
- 1000 NE: The Seanchan invade Amadicia and Liandrin is captured. She is made da'covale. (TPoD, Ch. 24)
- 1000 NE: Liandrin murders Alwhin (KoD, Prologue).
- 1000 NE: Liandrin tells Suroth that General Galgan would like to speak to her and Suroth has her beaten for a list of failures (KoD, Prologue).
Strengths and Talents
- Liandrin learned a weak form of Compulsion before she went to the Tower. She cannot force somebody to do something but it does leave a person open to her arguments. (TGH, Ch. 5)
- Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are stronger than Liandrin. (TDR, Ch. 14)
- Liandrin is stronger than the other twelve black sisters. (TDR, Ch. 14)
- Liandrin is very poor at Healing and cannot kill with the One Power since it is closely linked to Healing. (TSR, Ch. 38)
- Liandrin does not have any friends who do not wear the shawl and few who are not Red Ajah. (TGH, Ch. 4)
- Liandrin does not like Moiraine. (TGH, Ch. 38)
- Amico Nagoyin was Liandrin's other Black Ajah contact in the White Tower. She did not know that the other eleven sisters were Black. (TGH, Ch. 4 and TFoH, Ch. 18)
- Liandrin despises Nynaeve. (TFoH, Ch. 18)
- Liandrin is quite young. (TGH, Ch. 4)
- Liandrin is from Tarabon. (TGH, Ch. 4)
- She always sounds as if she is dissatisfied with something. (TGH, Ch. 4)
- Liandrin was the only Red from the thirteen Black sisters. (TDR, Ch. 25)
- Liandrin's father sold fruit from a barrow. Despite her less than plentiful upbringing, Liandrin copies the way that nobles speak. However, if she is angry, she will revert back to her roots and speak like a commoner. (TSR, Ch. 38)
- Liandrin learned to channel a year before she enrolled as a novice. However, she does not consider herself a wilder; indeed, she loathes all wilders. (TFoH, Ch. 18)
- Liandrin is not a very good da’covale (KoD, Prologue).
"Liandrin (lee-AHN-drihn): An Aes Sedai formerly of the Red Ajah, from Tarabon. Now known to be of the Black Ajah." (The Dragon Reborn, Glossary)
"Liandrin made few friends, and none outside the Red Ajah. Certainly never outside the Aes Sedai. She would sooner make friends with a man, or a Trolloc. Moiraine was not sure Liandrin saw much difference between men and Trollocs." Moiraine about Liandrin (The Great Hunt, Chapter 4)
"Theft was the least of what they did. Three sisters died that night, as well as two warders, seven guards, and nine of the servants. Murder, done to hide their thieving and their flight. It may not be proof they were Black Ajah but few believe otherwise." Siuan Sanche about Liandrin and the other Black sisters (The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 13)
"They had been Browns. Sometimes it was difficult to remember they no longer were, or that she herself was no longer a Red. So much of what had marked them clearly as members of their old Ajahs remained even now they were openly pledged to the Black." Liandrin about herself and other Black sisters (The Shadow Rising, Chapter 38)
"I also serve the Dark Lord. I swore my oaths as a Darkfriend before I ever went to the White Tower. I sought the Black Ajah from the day that I knew that I could channel." Liandrin to Moghedien (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 18)
“We are both bound to serve the Great Lord, High Lady. Have I not proven I can be useful? I removed Alwhin for you, yes?” (Liandrin to Suroth; Knife of Dreams, Prologue)