Author: Eireann Namar
Masuri Sokawa is an Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah, as well as a member of Salidar's embassy to the Dragon Reborn. An Arafellin, Masuri is described as "slim and merry-eyed" (LoC, Ch. 43) and "pretty without being beautiful, with dark eyes" (CoT, Ch. 7). Masuri has a warder named Rovair Kirklin. One of the most unusual things about Masuri is that she has specialized in knowledge of Darkhounds, having crossed the trails of eight packs, so far.
As a member of the Salidar embassy, Masuri takes an oath of service and obedience to the Dragon Reborn. Since taking her oath, she has served as an apprentice Wise One. For the last several months, Masuri has been travelling with Perrin Aybara's party, searching Ghealdan and Amadicia for a man known as the Prophet. The Wise Ones claim that Masuri believes that the Prophet, Masema, can be used if leashed properly. The Wise Ones think that he is dangerous and should be killed. Later, Masuri apparently changes her mind about using Masema (WH, Ch. 1), saying that he "must be killed." Once Masema has joined Perrin's contingent, Masuri is observed visiting the Prophet's tent. Because the Wise Ones must give Masuri permission to go anywhere, she must have visited Masema with their knowledge and blessing. She later admits to Perrin that she had hoped to use Masema, but has since seen the error of their ways (AMoL, Ch. 44).
- Masuri, along with the embassy, leaves Salidar. Merana Sedai of the Gray Ajah leads the embassy (LoC, Prologue).
- The embassy arrives in Caemlyn. Masuri visits the Dragon Reborn, along with Merana Sedai and Seonid Sedai. Later, the embassy members join forces with Verin Sedai and Alanna Sedai (LoC, Ch. 41; LoC, Ch. 42; LoC, Ch. 43).
- After it is discovered that Rand al'Thor has left for Cairhien, Masuri is chosen to follow after him with the remains of the embassy, now led by Kiruna Sedai and Bera Sedai (LoC, Ch. 49).
- The embassy meets up with Perrin's rescue party near Dumai's Wells. Masuri becomes interested in the Aiel Wise Ones, persistently questioning them. Later, she takes part in the battle of Dumai's Wells, helping to rescue the Dragon Reborn from the Tower Aes Sedai. After the battle, Masuri is forced to swear fealty to the Dragon Reborn (LoC, Ch. 54; LoC, Ch. 55).
- Travels to Ghealdan with Perrin's contingent, in search of the Prophet. Masuri is an apprentice Wise One and must obey the Aiel women (ACoS, Ch. 27).
- Masuri accompanies Perrin's group into Abila to meet with the Prophet in person (TPoD, Ch. 30).
- Along with the rest of the camp, Masuri leaves Abila to look for Faile and the others who have been taken by the Shaido (WH, Ch. 6).
- Masuri is observed visiting the Prophet, accompanied by her warder and Annoura Sedai. She also reveals her extensive knowledge of Darkhounds when checking out the fresh trail near the camp (CoT, Ch. 5; CoT, Ch. 6; CoT, Ch. 7).
- Masuri accompanies Perrin to So Habor to buy grain. Later, she is present when Perrin questions the Shaido prisoner (CoT, Ch. 25; CoT, Ch. 26; CoT, Ch. 27).
- She is bitten by a snake from a Bubble of Evil (ToM, Ch. 2).
- She advances enough in the Wise Ones eyes that they allow her to speak without their permission (ToM, Ch. 6).
- She tells Perrin he is a fool when he orders his banners burnt (ToM, Ch. 6).
- She Heals Perrin after he destroys the Dreamspike (ToM, Ch. 38).
- She forms a circle with Grady and Annoura so they can Travel to Caemlyn (ToM, Ch. 44).
- She removes the weariness from Perrin so that he can return to Tel'aran'rhiod to protect Rand (AMoL, Ch. 44)
Strengths and Talents
Masuri is quite strong in the One Power. Merana Sedai reveals that Masuri stands higher than she does, enough so that Merana would normally defer to her.
Masuri's greatest Talent, so far, seems to be her knowledge of Darkhounds and her affinity to sensing their trails. She is able to sense different things about each trail, such as the pack numbers and the difference between packs.
"He Perrin could see the glare on Masuri's face. Aes Sedai did not stir kettles, nor perform twenty other tasks the Wise Ones had her and Seonid doing. Masuri laid it at Rand's feet, but he was not here, and Perrin was. Given half a chance, she would peel his hide for him." (The Path of Daggers, Chapter 8)
"Masuri was glancing their way between slashes with the beater; she would learn about Elyas's eyes soon enough and start trying to ferret out what else linked him to Perrin." (The Path of Daggers, Chapter 10)
"She was a pretty woman without being beautiful, though some of that might have been Aes Sedai agelessness, with a grace and elegance that might also have come from being Aes Sedai." (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 7)
"Relatively little is known of Darkhounds, but I've made something of a study of them, in a small way." (Masuri; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 7)
"...in many ways she [Masuri] seemed more of the Green Ajah than the Brown, more intent on action than on contemplation, straight to the point and never vague, yet she was still capable of losing herself completely in whatever captured her interest." (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 7)
"Fear is a useful spear to the wits, and to determination, when well controlled. If we have no fear of our enemies, that leaves only contempt, and contempt leads to the enemy's victory." (Masuri; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 7)