Metwyn was one of the cavalrymen in the Band of the Red Hand who accompanied Mat to Ebou Dar as he had heavy shoulders and had kept order well as Redarms back in Maerone, something Mat hoped would help keep the group out of trouble (LoC, Ch. 44). He is a Cairhienin, who despite being ten years older than Mat, only looks a few years older (ACoS, Ch. 38; WH, Ch. 17). He is very good with a sword (WH, Ch. 17) and has a weakness for tavern brawls (CoT, Ch. 2).
- He goes with Mat to Ebou Dar (LoC, Ch. 44).
- He moves into the Tarasin Palace with Mat and the rest (ACoS, Ch. 28).
- He goes to the Rahad to collect the Bowl of the Winds (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- Along with Gorderan, Harnan and Fergin he is one of the four Redarms to survive (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- Mat offers to buy him passage out of Ebou Dar after the gholam finds him, but he refuses (WH, Ch. 17).
- He leaves Ebou Dar with Mat (WH, Ch. 31).
- He travels with Mat and Valan Luca's menagerie through Altara (CoT, Ch. 28).
- He continues with Mat until the rejoin Talmanes and the Band (KoD, Ch. 25).
- He can be assumed to have taken part in the battle after Tuon left (KoD, Ch. 37).
“Women start crying, the only thing to do is leave if you value your hide (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 3).