From Tar Valon Library
Jaichim Carridin was a Whitecloak Questioner who was also a Darkfriend. He was summoned to a gathering of Darkfriends in Tel'aran'rhiod, where he called himself Bors and along with the others, shown images of Rand, Mat and Perrin by Ba'alzamon. Carridin was ordered to continue his work rooting out Darkfriends in Tarabon and to watch for the three. He was also give other instructions, imprinted deeply on his mind so that he would not even know what they were (TGH, Prologue). He tried to balance these instructions with his job as a Whitecloak, but several failures resulted in Moridin giving him to Milli Skane, who killed him (TPoD, Ch. 28)
Carridin was intelligent and cautious and was able to identify the origin and rank of the majority of the other people at the gathering (TGH, Prologue). He was also noted for his patience (TDR, Prologue) and ambition, it was believed he wanted to head the Questioners, or even the children themselves one day (LoC, Prologue). Despite swearing to the Shadow, however, he holds to many of the prejudices he had before, such as an aversion to the Tuatha'an and an even stronger dislike of Aes Sedai (TGH, Prologue). He had three sisters, the youngest , Dealda, was taken at her wedding feast and another (TSR, Ch. 39), Vanora, was also given to a Myrddraal as punishment for his failures before being cooked over a spit (ACoS, Ch. 16). He was tall, well into his middle years, with a touch of gray in his hair, yet fit and hard and with dark, deep-set eyes (TDR, Prologue).
- He attends a meeting of Darkfriends in Tel'aran'rhiod (TGH, Prologue).
- He was sent to Almoth Plain, with orders to seize it,so that pressure could be applied to Tarabon from either side. There, he was in charge of a contingent of questioners, who were responsible for “pacifying” the village of Alcruna (TGH, Ch. 5).
- He was told that if he did not kill Rand, his relatives would be taken by the Shadow (TDR, Prologue).
- When Bornhald moved towards Toman Head and the Seanchan, Carridin took away their banners and made them take off their cloaks then commanded him and his men to stay on Almoth Plain and root out Darkfriends, a command which was ignored (TGH, Ch. 29).
- After the Seanchan had been routed, he returned to Amador where he encountered a Myrddraal that was an early version of Shaidar Haran (Robert Jordan, Question of the Week, Week 23). He was ordered to find Rand and kill him, conflicting with his orders from Niall to return to Tarabon (TDR, Prologue).
- Using his few hundred soldiers, he is able to attain a position of power and influence in Tarabon (TDR, Ch. 31).
- He meets with Andric, where he agrees to secure the Panarch's palace for Amathera (TSR, Ch. 39).
- After the meeting, he encounters Liandrin, who instructs him to send the Panarch's soldiers away once he holds the Palace.
- He returns to Amador and receives orders to head to Altara, and organise false Dragonsworn to plague the country (LoC, Prologue).
- When Niall learns that Elayne is in the Tarasin palace, Carridin is ordered to snatch her (ACoS, Ch. 15). When he recognises Mat and tells Sammael, Sammael responds by sending the gholam to Ebou Dar.
- As punishment for his failure in Ebou Dar, by letting Elayne and Nynaeve escape with the Bowl of the Winds and other ter'angreal, he is given over to Mili Skane, who takes him to Caemlyn, where she murders him (TPoD, Ch. 28).
"The Great Lord of the Dark is my Master, and most heartily do I serve him to the last shred of my very soul. The Dark One and all the Forsaken are bound . . . . Lo, my Master is death's Master. Asking nothing do I serve against the Day of his coming, yet do I serve in the sure and certain hope of life everlasting." . . . bound in Shayol Ghul, bound by the Creator at the moment of creation. No, I serve a different master now. "Surely the faithful shall be exalted in the land, exalted above the unbelievers; exalted above thrones, yet do I serve humbly against the Day of his Return."
"Poor Jaichim here failed very badly, Moridin wishes him punished. Poor Jaichim does like his brandy." (Milli, before killing him, TPoD, Ch. 28)