Director of Community Development
The Director of Community Development was an Executive level position in the Department of Community Development. Because the work done in this position touches every level of membership, the main goals of this position were to provide a positive, more cohesive community experience for all members. This position involved a lot of trial and error, therefore it also involved a lot of creativity and willingness to fail and tweak what's not working.
The Director was responsible for the various aspects of TarValon.Net that contribute to building a stronger community.
Chain of Command
The Director of Community Development reported to the Keeper.
The Art Museum Curator, the Guildmaster, the Recognitions Coordinator, and the Online Events Coordinator reported to the Director of Community Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- this position is an executive position, which means that you will provide counsel to the Amyrlin Seat and Keeper as necessary
- handle all personnel issues (replacing and training staff, disputes between staff members, etc)
- keep current programs in place and work continually to keep them fresh and interesting
- be innovative and think of new ideas that can help serve the community's needs
- be in touch with the community in general so you can best serve its needs
- write regular reports to the Keeper and Amyrlin to keep them up-to-date on what is going on in your Department
- read monthly reports submitted to you by your admins and staff and respond to anything brought up in them requiring feedback
There is a lot in this position that isn't quantifiable. It's working with the current administrators and staff to make sure that current programs are working and meeting the needs of the community. It's bridging the gaps between Research and Moderators and Membership and Technology and coming up with something that meets the needs and desires of all levels of membership. It's coming up with new ideas. It's stretching yourself and those in the Department to be innovative.
- must have been a Senior member for at least a year
- you'll need to be able to fill this position for at least a year, preferably longer. If you think you won't be able to do this, please consider carefully whether you should apply.
- must be willing to dedicate at least 10-15 hours per week to this.
- must have had some sort of experience with our CD Department (serving on a committee for an event, serving on our online events planning staff, a radio show host, a guildmaster--anything that touches on the Department, even if it the position you held is now defunct or is in a different Department) or real life experience directly related to this Department's objectives and goals.
- must be self-directed, self-motivated, and innovative. More than almost any other Executive position, this position requires an agile mind that is able to spot a need and figure out a way to meet that need, even if it takes thinking outside the box.
- be able to manage both people and projects
The Department of Community Development was disbanded in May 2011 and with that the position became defunct.
Directors of Community Development
- Adina al'Mari: November 14, 2009 - April 24, 2011
- Ilissa al'Nari: September 3, 2009 - November 14, 2009
- Yelenia Hylraren: April 13, 2008 - September 3, 2009
- Darim Pelegro: April 27, 2007 - April 13, 2008
- Kariada Kunai: March 27, 2007 - April 27, 2007