Director of Events and Conferences
The Director has overall responsibility for planning our official events, and ensuring that the planning of unofficial events in our Local Events forum follows TarValon.Net's rules. In this position, you will work closely with the Amyrlin Seat, Shatayan and Keeper, as well as the other Directors, particularly Membership, Marketing, and to a lesser extent, Community Outreach.
Position Level: Executive
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Executive Merit
Chain of Command
The Director of Events and Conferences reports to the Keeper.
The Master/Mistress of Revels (North America), Master/Mistress of Revels (Europe), Master/Mistress of Revels (South Pacific), and the Conference Coordinator report to the Director of Events and Conferences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice to the Amyrlin Seat, Shatayan and Keeper.
- Work closely with the Master/Mistress of Revels and local liaisons for each event to make sure they are planned and executed well.
- Make sure event bids are solicited in a timely manner.
- Make sure our events operate within budget and still provide a good value to our members.
- Moderate all Events forums, including Local Events, and make sure our rules are being followed.
- Managing all other needs of the Department as they arise.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be extremely organized and creative.
- Be able to employ tact and diplomacy, even with people you don't necessarily like or respect.
- Able to comfortably and professionally interact with people around the world.
- Able to comfortably and professionally represent our organization to outside groups and vendors, such as hotels.
- Be willing and able to spend 15 hours a week handling Department issues. This is an estimate. Some weeks are less, some are more, depending on what's happening.
- Be a Senior Member in good standing, preferably for at least 1 year. We will also consider applicants who have previously been Senior Members in good standing with at least 1 year of time at the senior member rank.
- Regularly attend official Events (past attendance at TarValon.Net events is helpful).
- Experience planning events (although these do not necessarily have to be TarValon.Net events).
The position was created when the department was formed in May 2009.
Directors of the Department of Events and Conferences
- Melisande Arneil: April 22, 2017 - present