From Tar Valon Library
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Perival, the High Seat of the Andoran House Mantear, is a pretty, golden haired boy with blue eyes, shorter than Dyelin. He still has a high voice. He wears a sword that looks much too long for him, and is a little clumsy at handling it (CoT, Ch. 13).
Perival is twelve years old, one year younger than Branlet (KoD, Ch. 17).
- Perival arrives in Caemlyn with Dyelin and speaks with Elayne, proclaiming his support for Trakand (CoT, Ch. 13).
- When Dyelin returns from trying to convince Luan and the others to support Elayne for the throne, Elayne and Birgitte meet with her in the Map Room. Perival, Branlet, Catalyn and Conail show up as well (KoD, Ch. 17).
- When Birgitte learns that the Far Madding Gate is under attack while she is arranging Elayne's rescue from the Black Ajah, she tells Dyelin to defend it. Dyelin tells Perival, Branlet, Catalyn and Conail to come with her, as their foot soldiers, who are being sent with Dyelin, will fight better with them there. As they leave, Conail says something to make Perival and Branlet chuckle (KoD, Ch. 32).
- During the battle against Arymilla, Elayne sees Perival, Branlet and Conail ride through the Far Madding gate, swords in hand, to urge on their men. They are far enough away to avoid harm, but Elayne still thinks they shouldn't be there. After Elayne has spoken to a beaten Arymilla and her followers, she rides towards Dyelin, who is riding out of a side street followed by Perival and the other three (KoD, Ch. 33).
- When Elayne arrives at the Grand Hall for her meeting with Abelle, Aemlyn, Arathelle, Ellorien, Luan, and Pelivar, all of her supporters are already there. Dyelin is watching Sylvase converse with Conail and Catalyn while Branlet and Perival listen closely (KoD, Ch. 35).
- After gaining their support, Elayne invites Abelle, Aemlyn, Arathelle, Luan and Pelivar to dine with her in her apartments. It is likely that the rest of her support, Perival included, accompany her as well (KoD, Ch. 35).
Elayne thinks that Lord Willin has done a good job with Perival, and that she must keep it from going to waste (CoT, Ch. 13).
Conail treats Perival and Branlet almost like younger brothers, and they are embarrassed when he ruffles their hair (KoD, Ch. 17).
Arymilla considers Branlet to be a child who can be swayed to her cause. She thinks to herself that she will use torture on Perival, Branlet, Catalyn and Conail, if she must (KoD, Ch. 17).
Ellorien comments snidely that Elayne has gathered most of her support from among the children and Arymilla's leavings. When she says this, Branlet straightens angrily until Perival puts a hand on his arm and shakes his head (KoD, Ch. 35).
- Perival is shy his first time in Caemlyn (CoT, Ch. 13).
- Dyelin excluded, Conail, Catalyn, Branlet and Perival are Elayne's most important allies (KoD, Ch. 17).
- Whenever the Andoran nobles meet, everyone except for Elayne, Birgitte, Branlet and Perival drink wine. The other four drink goat's milk, Elayne and Birgitte because of Elayne's pregnancy and Perival and Branlet because of their ages (KoD, Ch. 17; Ch. 35).
"My pleasure, my Lady Elayne. House Mantear stands with House Trakand." (Perival to Elayne; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13).
"Uncle Willin told me to uphold the honor of Mantear and Andor," Perival said, intent as only a child being serious could be. "I will try, Elayne. I will try very hard." (Perival to Elayne; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13).
"They will not ride very fast in winter," Perival said quietly. And astonishingly, since no one had spoken to him. "I think that whatever we do, we will have to do it with who we have now." (Perival to Elayne, Catalyn, Branlet and Conail; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13).
"It's the Borderlanders." Perival's voice was a boy's piping, but he sounded sure of himself. "They're holding back because whoever wins here, the Borderlanders still have to be dealt with." He picked up the bear, hefting it as if its weight would give him the answers. "What I don't understand is why they're invading us in the first place. We're so far from the Borderlands. And why haven't they marched on and attacked Caemlyn? They could sweep Arymilla aside, and I doubt we could keep them out as easily as we do her. So why are they here?" (Perival to Elayne, Dyelin, Birgitte, Conail, Branlet and Catalyn; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 17).