From Tar Valon Library
Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Jondyn Barran is an old man from the Two Rivers; he is also the best hunter and bowshot in the region next to Tam al'Thor. He is grizzled, gnarled and lazy, except when hunting (ACoS, Ch. 1).
- Since leaving home, he has not worked any more than absolutely necessary (ACoS, Ch. 1).
- Although not directly mentioned at the time, he follows Perrin from the Two Rivers (LoC, Ch. 45) everywhere until finally to Dumai's Wells (ACoS, Ch. 1), where we hear of him for the first time.
- The day after the battle at Dumai's Wells, he talks with two younger Two Rivers men about the battle and the Aes Sedai captives (ACoS, Ch. 1).
- After Faile vanishes, Dannil sends Jondyn, Hu Marwin and Get Ayliah to search for her (WH, Ch. 2). Perrin has hopes that Faile is still alive when Jondyn and Gaul do not return, because they would have taken her body back to the camp, had they found it. He fears, however, that the snow makes the search all but impossible (WH, Ch. 5).
- Jondyn shows the Maidens how to make snow-shoes. He and Elyas found several tracks while hunting for Faile, among them scrapes at trees that were caused by carts (WH, Ch. 6).
- The falling snow slows their traveling pace down until Jondyn finds another wagon-scraped tree (CoT, Ch. 5).
- Perrin sends Jondyn, Hu Marwin and Get Ayliah after people the Shaido sent out of Malden to see if they can learn anything (CoT, Ch. 5). They manage to catch up to the fleeing inhabitants, but the only useful thing they received was a puzzling map of Malden (CoT, Ch. 5).
- Perrin takes Jondyn and Jori Congar with him to the meeting with Tylee Khirgan and Bakayar Mishima of the Seanchan's Ever-Victorious Army to demonstrate their skills and that his force should not be taken lightly (KoD, Ch. 4).
- The only things he cares about are the forests, the hunt and drinking too much on feastdays (ACoS, Ch. 1).
- He always says what he thinks straight out no matter who hears him. For example, he says it would have been better if the Aes Sedai all died during the battle at Dumai's Wells, because they all might pay large for holding them in captivity (ACoS, Ch. 1).
- Even though he is much older than Perrin, Jondyn carries out his suggestions as if they were orders (TPoD, Ch. 9).
- He is very good at following traces (WH, Ch. 2).
- He is an excellent shot (ToM, Ch. 4).
"Was those bloody Asha'man won it, anyway. And welcome to it, I say. Too bad they don't take it and go someplace else to celebrate." (Jondyn to Tod al'Caar and Kenly Maerin about the battle at Dumai's Wells; A Crown of Swords, Chapter 1)