Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Alteima is tall, slender, full-bosomed, and lovely. She has large brown eyes and long black hair that hangs halfway to her waist (TSR, Ch. 21). Her large brown eyes make some people mistakenly think that she is innocent and harmless; Alteima is neither, but it suits her to have people think so (TFoH, Ch. 1).
- Alteima attempts to kill her husband, Tedosian, with poison, but he lives (TSR, Ch. 21; TFoH, Ch. 1).
- Rand sends Alteima to Cairhien to oversee the distribution of food. When he mentions that Tedosian will be cared for by Estanda, she faints (TSR, Ch. 21).
- Alteima and Morgase meet and talk; Gaebril enters the room. He sends Morgase away and questions Alteima (TFoH, Ch. 1).
Alteima is married to Tedosian. There is obviously no love lost between them; she tried to poison him and is now afraid that he will kill her (TFoH, Ch. 1).
There are feelings that go beyond rivalry between Alteima and High Lady Estanda. Moiraine thinks that, had they been men, one would have shed the other's blood in a duel years ago (TSR, Ch. 21).
Alteima and Morgase met once, five years ago, during a state visit. When she goes to visit Morgase, Alteima makes sure to dress carefully, not wanting to anger Morgase's sensibilities (TFoH, Ch. 1).
When Alteima first sees Gaebril, she thinks that he is incredibly handsome, surely the most handsome man she has ever met, as well as the grandest, strongest, and most powerful (TFoH, Ch. 1). Gaebril spends many of his nights with Alteima (TFoH, Ch. 19).
- Even though Tedosian still lives, Alteima is decked out in mourning white (TSR, Ch. 21).
- She met Morgase briefly five years ago during a state visit (TFoH, Ch. 1).
- Alteima's plan upon escaping to Andor is to find a husband, preferably one who is older, a touch feeble and infirm, and who has vast estates (TFoH, Ch. 1).
The High Lady Alteima was far more dangerous than her husband or her lover, both of whom she had manipulated without either knowing it. (Moiraine; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 21)
"I tried to poison my husband and had to flee before Tedosian and that trull Estanda could kill me instead, or worse. Rand al'Thor meant to let them do it, as an example. I chose Caemlyn because I could not bear Illian and though Andor is little better, Cairhien is in near ruins. In Caemlyn, I can find a wealthy husband, or one who thinks he is my protector if need be, and use his power too." (Alteima to Gaebril; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 1)