From Tar Valon Library
Author: Moriendar Amechi
Morgase Trakand is a queen of Andor. Her sigil is three golden keys; the sign of House Trakand is a silver keystone.
She greatly resembles Elayne, but her beauty is matured and ripened. She has blue eyes and long, reddish-golden curls. Her commanding presence and her rich voice can fill a room like light. She looks perhaps ten years older than Elayne, due to her having slowed (October 4th, 2005 Robert Jordan's Blog
She has a temper of a lioness but as a just ruler.
Strengths and Talents
Relationships with other Characters
Morgase did not marry Taringail Damodred for love, but to stabilize her claims to the Lion Throne. After Taringail's death, she engaged in an affair with Thom Merrilin, the Court Bard. But when meeting with Thom's rage at his own nephew being gentled by Aes Sedai, Morgase's own temper flared and sent Gareth Bryne to hunt Thom down and kill him. Gareth Bryne became the lonely queen's lover.
The Captain of Guards disliked Gaebril when he showed up in Morgase's court, which is why Bryne was exiled. Morgase then fell under the thrall of Gaebril. Regaining her self-control, she escaped Caemlyn with Tallanvor. The young soldier admitted to Morgase that he loved her.
Morgase loves her two children, Gawyn and Elayne, and had high expectations for them. She said that she was very proud of her daughter when Elayne wrote of her raising to the Accepted at the Tower.
Lini had been the nurse for three generations of Trakand women. Morgase, as a queen, couldn't even escape her lectures and criticisms. Morgase had always respected the old nurse and was lenient with her.
She believes that Alliandre doesn't show the decorum of a queen and wants to show her (ToM, Ch. 6).
She comes to respect Perrin, but at first does not want to give him help as she still thinks of him as a rebel. Despite this, she is disappointed when he orders the wolf banners burnt (ToM, Ch. 6)
Faile is annoyed with her after learning her true identity (ToM, Ch. 29).
- Morgase goes to the White Tower, following Andoran traditions, at the age of fourteen to study to become Aes Sedai. (TFoH, Ch. 19)
- After Tigraine disappeared, Morgase returns to claim the Lion Throne at the age of 15. (TDR, Ch. 47; TFoH, Ch. 19)
- After two years of the Succession, Morgase gains the Lion Throne and becomes the Queen of Andor. (TDR, Ch. 47; TFoH, Ch. 19)
- Morgase meets with Siuan Sanche, Amyrlin Seat at the time, who demands that she backs off of the Murandy borders. (TFoH, Ch. 12)
- Morgase travels to the White Tower to visit Elayne. She is furious when she finds out that Elayne is no there and refuses to take Elaida back as her Aes Sedai advisor. She demands that Elayne is to be returned to Andor as soon as she gets back. (TDR, Ch. 13)
- Morgase meets "Lord Gaebril", the Forsaken Rahvin, who overpowers her and uses her to control Andor. (TDR, Ch. 46)
- Morgase, under the influence of Gaebril, exiles her loyal supporters. They are: Gareth Bryne, Lord Pelivar, Lord Abelle, Lady Arathelle, Lady Ellorien, Lady Aemlyn, and Lord Luan. (TFoH, Ch. 19)
- Morgase receives a letter from Elayne, delivered by Matrim Cauthon. She is both pleased and angry at the contents. (TDR, Ch. 46)
- Morgase hears of rebellion of the Two Rivers. She regains control of herself and flees Caemlyn with Lini, Tallanvor, Basel Gill, Lamgwin, and Breane. (TFoH, Ch. 19)
- Morgase and her party finds out that Gareth Bryne is gone at Kore Springs and continue west. (TFoH, Ch. 56)
- Pedron Niall tells her that Gaebril is dead and Rand al'Thor has taken over the rule of Andor. Morgase is given the chance to be escorted back to Caemlyn by Whitecloaks in exchange for a one-sided treaty. (LoC, Prologue)
- Morgase and her party is moved into the Fortress of Light by Pedron Niall, who continues pressing her regarding the treaty. (LoC, Ch. 9)
- Morgase sees Paitr and his uncle hanged on the day she and her party are planning to escape. She signs Niall's treaty. (LoC, Ch. 31)
- Morgase attempts to get favors from Niall. (ACoS, Prologue)
- Morgase abdicates her throne of to Elayne (ACoS, Ch. 26).
- Perrin Aybara and his party rescue Morgase's party from the Dragonsworn. (TPoD, Ch. 7)
- Morgase lives under the name of Maighdin Dorlain* and becomes Faile Aybara's personal maid. (TPoD, Ch. 8)
- Maighdin* was serving refreshments and cleaning when Queen Alliandre of Ghealdan meets with Perrin, Faile, Berelain, and Annoura. (TPoD, Ch. 10)
- Maighdin*, Faile, Alliandre, along with several others are captured and made gai'shain by Sevanna's Shaido Aiel. (TPoD, Ch. 30)
- Maighdin*, Faile, and Alliandre are marched to the Shaido camp. Maighdin* attempted to fight her captors but are beaten for it. (WH, Ch. 3)
- Maighdin's* frostbite was Healed by Galina, an Aes Sedai. She, Faile, and Alliandre are the separated from other in their party. (WH, Ch. 4)
- Therava sets Maighdin* too spy on Sevanna, while Galina sets her to retrieve Therava's binder. (WH, Ch. 4)
- Maighdin* tries to enter Therava's tent but is caught and punished. Galina's berating was cut short when Aravine intercedes. (CoT, Ch. 9)
- Maighdin* notices that Dairaine is likely to tell the Shaido about their plan to escape.
- Maighdin*, Alliandre and Faile tie up Dairaine (KoD, Ch. 28).
- Maighdin*, Alliandre, Faile, Arrela and Lacile are trapped in a collapsed building by Galina. Maighdin* uses saidar on a red scarf Galina had used to mark out the building, causing it to move unnaturally to try to attract attention (KoD, Ch. 28).
- Gareth claims that Rand saved Andor by getting rid of Morgase, if the rumours are true that he did (TGS, Ch. 24).
- After being freed, she settles back into the life of a servant, using the skills she learned in the Shaido camp (ToM, Ch. 6).
- Perrin tells her she and Tallanvor must be married, she refuses (ToM, Ch. 6).
- She learns Gaebril was in reality Rahvin. She tells Tallanvor that she never loved Gaebril but that he twisted her mind (ToM, Ch. 21).
- Galad recognises and identifies her, but she prefers to stay with Perrin than the Whitecloaks (ToM, Ch. 26).
- She acts as judge in Perrin's trial, finding him guilty but that it is subject to the Kainec Protocol, giving Galad authority over the punishment (ToM, Ch. 34).
- Lini insists she and Tallanvor marry, and Perrin performs a quick ceremony (ToM, Ch. 44)
- She returns to Caemlyn and tells Elayne she has renounced the throne (ToM, Ch. 45)
- She speaks in Perrin's favour when he meets with Elayne and makes the suggestion of giving the Two Rivers to the Dragon Reborn (ToM, Ch. 47)
"The best lie is often one too ridiculous to be taken for a lie." (The Eye of the World, Chapter 40)
"You’re young at this yet, so I’ll give you advice. There are some things a lord should be involved in, but others he should always leave untouched. You’ll learn the difference as you practice, but kindly refrain from making demands like this one until you’ve at least counseled with your wife" (To Perrin, Towers of Midnight, Chapter 6)
"I’ve had more from you than I deserve, for longer than I’ve known that I’ve had it. You’ve claimed that the love of a simple soldier is nothing before the mantle of a queen, but I say the measure of a man is not in his title, but in his soul. I’ve seen from you bravery, dedication, loyalty, and love. I’ve seen the heart of a prince inside of you, the heart of a man who would remain true when hundreds around him failed. I swear that I love you. And before the Light, I swear not to leave you. I swear to cherish you forever and have you as my husband" (To Tallanvor, Towers of Midnight, Chapter 44)