Director of Research and Records
From Tar Valon Library
The Director of Research and Records is an Executive position and as such will have all responsibilities inherent in that position, such as working with other Directors and Officers, providing counsel to other Executives when asked, and managing the Department of Research and Records. It is responsible for handling the research needs of our community to make us one of the top go-to websites for Wheel of Time research.
As this position is an Executive level role, it is not subject to rotation.
Chain of Command
The Director of Research and Records reports directly to the Keeper.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a sounding board and counsel for the Officers as needed
- Administrates articles, from assigning articles to keeping track of their progress to nudging people who have articles assigned but not completed to editing articles to entering articles into our Wiki. Anything and everything to do with articles, you should be prepared to do.
- Fills in gaps in articles as necessary
- Handles all personnel issues within the Department
- Comes up with new and innovative ideas for articles
- Organizes the Library into an easily searchable database via the Wiki
- Moderates the Library forums, including the Classrooms, and keeping forums spoiler free.
- Helps the Tower Historian handle the Tower histories
- Must currently be a Senior Member with at least one year good standing as a Senior Member
- Must currently be able to dedicate at least one year to this position
- Must be willing and able to spend at least 15 hours a week handling Department issues
- Must have worked in the Department at some point or have a significant interest in research, particularly Wheel of Time research.
- Must either know or be willing to learn the mark-up language utilized in the Wiki
- A professional background in research of any kind or libraries is a plus but not required.
- Must have a good knowledge of the series
- Must be extremely organized
- Must be a self-starter.
This position was once known as "Librarian". With the dissolving of the Department of Communication in October 2009, and the creation of the position of Tower Voice, the role was officially known as the Director of Research and Communication. When the Department of Marketing was created in 2010, the position of Tower Voice was moved into that Department and the role again became the Director of Research. After the 2011 Admin Meeting to emphasize the fact that the department has the added mission of keeping our communities official historical records the Department was called the Department of Research and Records, and once again the Director's official title changed to reflect this.