The Tower Historian is a staff role in the Department of Research and Records. They are responsible for documenting the history of the Tower's real world and web activities and maintaining all site-related portions of the TarValon.Net library.
Position Level: Staff
Department: Department of Research and Records
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Staff Merit
Contact the Tower Historian regarding any changes to a Who's Who profile and any mistakes/typos about the Tower's official histories that you may notice, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chain of Command
The Tower Historian reports directly to the Director of Research and Records.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibility of the Tower Historian is maintaining all site-related portions of the TarValon.Net library, primarily those involving history of staff positions held on the site.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Histories - making sure the history of the Tower is well documented.
- Changes -
- Any time structure is changed the new structure will need to be added.
- Personnel - making sure each department is updated every time they have a change, making sure that subgroups, such as online events have a page, recording winner of "Best...." on that page.
- Bondings and Raisings - keeping up to date.
- Community pages - making sure the links are valid and that content is not inappropriate.
- Communicates with Department heads or people assigned by them to make sure all pages relevant to the TarValon.Net pages are adequately maintained.
- Follow established guidelines for editing the Library wiki.
- Must be a member in good standing.
- Must know Wiki formatting or be willing to learn.
- Be ready to spend at least the first couple of weeks in an onboarding process by the Director or the outgoing Historian.
- Familiarity with the Bylaws, chain of command, and administrative structure is very helpful.
- Must be willing to spend a minimum of two hours a week at this position.
- Must have been a member of the community for at least six months.
- Rank within the community does not matter for this position.
- Familiarity with the site Library is preferable.
- Good English written communication skills with attention to consistent language and grammar.
Between May 2010 and December 2020, there were two Historians at any given time. This was due to the level of workload involved in keeping the History up to date whilst continuing to expand areas in the site's long history. Rather than have one Historian and an Assistant, as was tried in 2005, it was judged that as both were staff roles "assistant" would be an incorrect term. Starting at the beginning of 2021 there is only one Tower Historian.
- Tallan Daar: July 31, 2020 - present
- Chiyuki Nohara: June 1, 2017 - December 31, 2020
- Elia LePhant: November 13, 2018 - July 30, 2020
- Nyavene al'Meer: September 15, 2015 - November 12, 2018
- Jeffan Caliarthan: July 7, 2016 - April 27, 2017
- Bryher al'Venna: April 21, 2014 - July 7, 2016
- Kitan Tataru: November 4, 2012 - July 16, 2015
- Zimone Zarasri: August 23, 2011 - April 21, 2014
- Kerna Shedrian: May 12, 2010 - November 4, 2012
- Loira al'Ramoidra: October 21, 2010 - August 23, 2011
- Xylianna Paladina: May 12, 2010 - September 30, 2010
- Vivianna L'antreau: December 10, 2008 - December 2009
- Kariada Kunai: October 2, 2007 - December 10, 2008
- Ismene Gillandred: February 8, 2005 - October 2, 2007
- Alaria Celentari: date unknown - February 7, 2005
- Naomi al'Moranwin: March 1, 2003 - date unknown
Assistant to the Tower Historian
- Yelenia Hylraren: February 8, 2005 - April 8, 2007