From Tar Valon Library
Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Karede's full title is Banner-General Furyk Karede. He is a member of the Deathwatch Guard and is therefore da'covale to the Empress. He has ravens tattooed on his shoulders to show that he is in the Guard (TPoD, Ch. 23). He is the highest-ranking Deathwatch Guard in the Return (CoT, Ch. 4).
Karede has received numerous citations for heroism and was a member of Tuon's bodyguard twice and the Empress's once. He also served during the Muyami Uprising and the Jianmin Incident. Karede was selected to accompany High Lord Turak across the Aryth Ocean. Among his duties was an order to watch the Blood for signs of over-ambition (CoT, Ch. 4)
Karede lead part of the Seanchan army during Rand's attack on Altara. The Asha'man attacked Karede's forces, creating havoc. One of Karede's captains, Jadranka, gave out wrong orders in the confusion, so Karede killed him. Karede gave the order to fall back (TPoD, Ch. 23). During the resulting fighting, Karede gained small successes against the Asha'man and was promoted to Banner-General for them (CoT, Ch. 4).
As the most senior Guard in the Return, it was Karede's duty to ensure Tuon's safety. When she disappeared, he ordered Ebou Dar to be searched for her. Almurat Mor, a Seeker, visited Karede to tell him who he believed to be behind Tuon's disappearance. Mor told Karede that the White Tower was implicated, as were Suroth, Mat, Egeanin and Thom. Karede then decided to conduct a personal search for Tuon, though he did not let the Seeker know this. He requested one hundred Guards, twenty Gardeners and two damane. Karede then led them to look for Tuon (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 958 NE: Karede is born (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 973: Karede is chosen to become a Deathwatch Guard (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 980 NE: Karede is made a member of Tuon's personal bodyguard (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 980 NE: Karede is the only survivor of an attempt on Tuon's life. He becomes an officer in the Guard (CoT, Ch. 4).
- Unknown: Karede serves during both the Muyami Uprising and the Jianmin Incident (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 986 NE: Karede joins Tuon's bodyguard again (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 987 NE: Karede is seriously injured when he protects Tuon from assassins (CoT, Ch. 4).
- Unknown: Karede joins the Empress's bodyguard (CoT, Ch. 4).
- C. 998 NE: Karede sails across the Aryth Ocean (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 1000 NE: Karede leads an army in Altara but he is attacked by Asha'man (TPoD, Ch. 23).
- 1000 NE: Karede is approached by a Seeker who believes that he knows who had Tuon kidnapped (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 1000 NE: Karede begins a personal search for Tuon (CoT, Ch. 4).
- 1000 NE: Karede talks to Loune and learns that they have no prisoners from the Band and that Chisen is bringing his army back through the Malvide Narrows. Karede realises what Mat has been up to but does not trust Loune enough to say (KoD, Ch. 34).
- 1000 NE: Karede rides into the camp and asks to talk to Thom, thinking he is the general (KoD, Ch. 36).
- 1000 NE: He tries to bluff Mat into letting Tuon go by pretending to have more men than he does, but Mat does not fall for it. Mat lets her go with him anyway (KoD, Ch. 36).
- Karede is present when Tuon is shown that they have learned traveling. When it is said that they could be surprised at anytime by people traveling there to kill Tuon all the members of the Guard shuffled except him. She expects he will start a new rotating location of her sleeping quarters.(ToM, Ch. 47)
Karede is very fond of Tuon. He was a member of her bodyguard when she was born and protected her from assassins in the first known attempt on her life. Karede left her bodyguard but requested to be allowed to rejoin it just before Tuon's sixth birthday. He took grave injuries protecting her from assassins the next year. Tuon gave him her doll, Emela, as a present and he kept it until it was lost in the Great Fire of Sohima. He made two more requests to join her bodyguard but both were refused. When he learnt of her disappearance in Ebou Dar, he was determined to find her (CoT, Ch. 4).
- One of Karede's ancestors followed Luthair Paendrag to Seanchan while another tried to claim a Kingdom before the country was secure (TPoD, Ch. 23).
- Karede stays in The Wandering Woman in Ebou Dar (CoT, Ch. 4).
- Karede's parents were weavers and the property of Jalid Magonine. He was born in Ancarid (CoT, Ch. 4).
- Karede was married to Kalia but she is now dead. They had three sons, two of whom are Deathwatch Guards, while the other is dead (CoT, Ch. 4).
"You have protected my life, so you must take Emela to watch over you in turn, she said. She can't really protect you, of course; she's only a doll. But keep her to remind you that I will always hear if you speak my name." Tuon to Karede (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 4)
"Karede was da'covale and proud of it, like every man of the Guard, the property of the Crystal Throne, body and soul. He fought where the Empress pointed, and would die the day she said die." Karede (The Path of Daggers, Chapter 23)
"There had been countless attempts to kidnap or assassinate her, beginning on the day of her birth. If he found her dead, he must find who had killed her, who had given the ultimate commands, and avenge her whatever the costs." Karede about Tuon (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 4)