From Tar Valon Library
Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Egeanin Sarna was a Seanchan ship's captain (WH, Ch. 20). She was chosen to captain the Fearless in the Return and she sailed to Falme with the other Forerunners (WH, Ch. 20). While in Falme she captured Bayle Domon's ship and took him to Falme to see the High Lord Turak (TGH, Ch. 29). Egeanin is forced to flee Falme and sails to Cantorin with the rest of the Hailene. The High Lady Suroth then sends her to Tanchico to look for sul'dam who deserted after the disaster at Falme (TSR, Ch. 38).
It was in Tanchico that Egeanin met Elayne and Nynaeve (TSR, Ch. 46). She had found out that sul'dam could be held by the a'dam and so she wanted to learn more about channeling (TSR, Ch. 51). She helped the two women free Amathera from the Panarch's Palace (TSR, Ch. 54). Egeanin sailed from Tanchico with Bayle Domon, "a properly set-up man," meaning to help him dispose of the male a'dam (WH, Ch. 21).
Before they could throw the a'dam into the waters near the Aile Somera, the Seanchan tried to board their ship. Egeanin announced that they were on their way to Cantorin to present the High Lady Suroth with a gift for the Empress. She had to give the ter'angreal to Suroth (WH, Ch. 21). The High Lady rewarded her by making her Captain of the Green Lady Egeanin Tamarath (WH, Ch. 20). Egeanin was left in Cantorin while the Seanchan captured Tarabon, Amadicia, and Altara. Only then was she summoned to Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 21).
It was there that Egeanin found out that found out that a Seeker believed that she was committing treason against the Empire (WH, Ch. 21). He believed that she was plotting with Aes Sedai and Suroth and aiding marath'damane (WH, Ch. 20). Egeanin knew that she had to leave Ebou Dar if she was to stay alive. She asked Mat to help her escape and he agreed, as long as she could find three sul'dam to help him (WH, Ch. 29). Egeanin left Ebou Dar with Mat and hid in Valan Luca's circus. They told the circus folk that they were lovers. Egeanin had left her cruel husband to run away with Mat and that was why they were hiding from the Seanchan (CoT, Ch. 2).
Egeanin later visited Tuon with Mat. Tuon and Selucia humiliated her and stripped her of her titles and status as one of the Blood. She was given a new name, Leilwin Shipless (CoT, Ch. 28). While the circus rested in Jurador, Egeanin was stabbed by Renna Emain, a sul'dam she had blackmailed into helping her; Teslyn Healed her (CoT, Ch. 29).
Egeanin has dark hair and blue eyes. Her skin is very fair and she has a hard face. She looks too hard to be pretty (TGH, Ch. 29). She is tall and lean (CoT, Ch. 1). When she was raised to the Blood, she cut her hair so that it was a bowl-like cap with a shoulder-length tail hanging down at the back (CoT, Ch. 1). She grew her nails long and lacquered the little fingers sea green (WH, Ch. 21). When she escaped Ebou Dar she had to shave off all her hair, much to her horror, and wear a black wig (CoT, Ch. 1).
- Unknown: Egeanin is chosen to be one of the Forerunners. She captains the Fearless (WH, Ch. 21).
- 998 NE: Egeanin captures Bayle Domon's ship near Falme (TGH, Ch. 29).
- 998/999 NE: Suroth sends Egeanin to Tarabon to find the sul'dam who deserted (TSR, Ch. 38).
- 999 NE: Egeanin lets Bethamin go (TSR, Ch. 51).
- 999 NE: Egeanin helps Elayne rescue Amathera from the Panarch's Palace (TSR, Ch. 54).
- 999 NE: Egeanin sails from Tanchico with Bayle Domon (WH, Ch. 21).
- 999 NE: Egeanin gives Suroth the male a'dam (WH, Ch. 21).
- 999 NE: Egeanin buys Bayle Domon (WH, Ch. 20).
- 999/1000 NE: Egeanin is ordered to travel to Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 21).
- 1000 NE: Bethamin Zeami tells Egeanin of the Seeker's suspicions (WH, Ch. 21).
- 1000 NE: Egeanin hires Mat to help her and Domon escape Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 29).
- 1000 NE: Tuon humiliates Egeanin and removes her from the Blood (CoT, Ch. 28).
- 1000 NE: Renna Emain stabs Egeanin but Teslyn Baradon Heals her (CoT, Ch. 29).
- 1000 NE: Egeanin and Domon get married in Runnien Crossing by Mother Darvale. She doesn't take his name because Tuon had told her her name will always be Leilwyn Shipless (KoD, Ch. 8).
- 1000NE: Egeanin again insists she is Leilwyn and won't answer to anything else (KoD, Ch. 9).
- 1000NE: Egeanin grows out her hair and continues to respond only to Leilwin, even after Tuon has left (TGS, Ch. 34).
Egeanin and Bayle Domon are in love with each other (WH, Ch. 21). They first met in Falme but it was only in Tanchico that they acted on their feelings. Egeanin decided that she was going to marry him when they left Tanchico on the Seahawk. She liked that he was intelligent, strong, and a seafarer (WH, Ch. 21). When Domon was made property by the Seanchan, Egeanin bought him and made him her so'jhin (WH, Ch. 20).
Egeanin was friends with Bethamin Zeami, a sul'dam, for ten years. However, Egeanin found her in Tarabon and discovered that the a'dam could hold her. Their friendship ended (TSR, Ch. 38). Egeanin later blackmailed Bethamin, along with Renna and Seta, into helping her escape from Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 31).
During Egeanin's stay in Tarabon, Nynaeve, Elayne, and Egeanin became friends. Elayne admired her directness and independence. Nynaeve and Elayne were horrified to find out that Egeanin was Seanchan (TSR, Ch. 51). However, Egeanin proved her worth during the riots and they began to trust her again. She liked them even though they could channel (WH, Ch. 29).
Egeanin often tries to take command and this annoys Mat greatly (CoT, Ch. 1).
Even after he marries Tuon, Egeanin does not show Mat respect and insists on calling him "Master Cauthon" (TGS, Ch. 34).
- Egeanin speaks with the slurred Seanchan accent, like silk sliding against iron (TGH, Ch. 29).
- Egeanin bought a damane called Serrisa and hired a sul'dam to control her. She is annoyed that she had to leave her behind in Cantorin (CoT, Ch. 1).
- Egeanin used some of the money that Suroth sent her to fund a soup kitchen in Tanchico (TSR, Ch. 38).
- Egeanin used the name Mistress Elidar when she was looking for sul'dam in Tarabon (TSR, Ch. 38). She calls herself Mistress Leilwin now that she is escaping with Mat (CoT, Ch. 1).
- Egeanin likes tidiness (TSR, Ch. 38).
- She is good with a quarterstaff (TSR, Ch. 46).
- Egeanin's father was a soldier (TSR, Ch. 46). Her mother was the Captain of the Gold, commander of the Empress' fleets. Egeanin always wanted to follow in her mother's footsteps (WH, Ch. 21).
- Bethamin thought that Egeanin was the model of duty before the Return (WH, Ch. 20).
- Egeanin no longer believes that female channelers need to be collared (WH, Ch. 21).
- Egeanin's sigil is a sword and a fouled anchor (WH, Ch. 21).
- Egeanin's handwriting is very neat (WH, Ch. 21).
- Egeanin has a prudish streak (CoT, Ch. 2).
"I will mention your name to the Empress, Egeanin. After the Return, new names will be called to the Blood. Show yourself fit, and you may shed the name Egeanin for a higher." (High Lord Turak to Egeanin; The Great Hunt, Chapter 29)
She was not going to let the Seekers kill her. Not just to let the High Lady Suroth keep a secret. Perhaps not for any reason. It was a thought shiveringly close to treason, but it would not go away. (Egeanin about the sul'dam's secret; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 38)
She had always prided herself on being level-headed. She had risen to command by skill and daring, a veteran of sea battles and storms and shipwreck. (Egeanin about herself; Winter's Heart, Chapter 21)
"I know she's tougher than old boots, Domon, but old boots don't count with me. This isn't a bloody ship, and I'm not letting her take charge and ruin everything." (Mat to Domon about Egeanin; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 3)
"I did see her stab Egeanin in the back and run. If I could have reached her, I would have broken her neck, but my hand be all that's holding Egeanin's blood in." (Domon to Mat, about Renna and Egeanin; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29)