Tuon Athaem Kore Paendrag
From Tar Valon Library
Tuon is the second daughter of the Seanchan Empress (TGH, Ch. 34). She was favoured by the Empress and named heir to the Crystal Throne and given the title Daughter of the Nine Moons. This title allows her to shave her head completely, though she hid this at first and remained under a veil (WH, Ch. 14). She is able to command loyalty easily. Her maid Selucia was her nursemaid and bodyguard for the first sixteen years of her life. Selucia was given great freedom to choose where to go after Tuon grew up, but she instead chose to stay with Tuon (WH, Ch. 14). Likewise, Furyk Karede was previously a member of Tuon's bodyguard and felt great affection for her (CoT, Ch. 4). Tuon was sent from Seanchan to take control of the Return, though was kidnapped by Mat before she could reveal herself (WH, Ch. 31).
The forces of the Shadow considered Tuon significant enough that Semirhage killed Neferi, Tuon's Truthspeaker, and took her place. Semirhage became Tuon's new Truthspeaker, posing as a Seanchan woman named Anath. At one point Semirhage at described Tuon as a willful charge (LoC, Ch. 6). Semirhage seems to change her mind when Tuon disappears. After Tuon's disappearance, Semirhage kills the entire Royal family and encourages Suroth to arrange for Tuon to die (KoD, Prologue).
Two of Tuon's greatest joys in life are training horses and damane and she takes pride in both of them (WH, Ch. 14), especially with a damane such as Mylen, who was half dead before Tuon found her. In Seanchan customs, Mat's gift of the razor horse signified that he accepted her greater social status (KoD, Ch. 9).
Tuon is twenty years old and boyishly slim. She could be mistaken for a child at first glance (CoT, Ch. 3). She is short and dark with large liquid brown eyes and a heart-shaped, almost childlike face, and does not possess a full bosom (WH, Ch. 14).
She is self-possessed. When she learns that the Seanchan army is hunting her she doesn't worry much, thinking one of her sisters is probably behind it (KoD, Ch. 11). When Egeanin displeases her, she strips her of her name and rank with barely a second thought (CoT, Ch. 28).
Strengths and Talents
Relationships with other Characters
Her father is dead, she claims he died of a bad wager (CoT, Ch. 28).
She was Radhanan's second daughter (TGH, Ch. 34).
Visions and Prophecies
Just before she landed at Ebou Dar she heard a foretelling, from Lidya, one of her damane: “Beware the fox that makes the ravens fly, for he will marry you and carry you away. Beware the man who remembers Hawkwing’s face, for he will marry you and set you free. Beware the man of the red hand, for him you will marry and none other” (KoD, Ch. 36). Tuon disliked the foretelling and had Lidya caned. She regretted it the next day and ordered the sul'dam to give her lionheart for the pain and sweet custard as a treat (WH, Ch. 14).
When Tuon saw Mat's signet ring, it caught her attention and when she asked him later if her remembered Hawkwing's face, she knew his denial was a lie. She marries him just before escaping with Karede, when he fulfilled the final part of the foretelling (KoD, Ch. 36).
- Tuon meets Mat while meeting with Tylin and offers to buy him.(WH, Ch. 17)
- Tuon runs into Mat as he is making his escape from Ebou Dar and kidnaps her. After Egeanin tells Mat that she is Daughter of the Nine Moons he says she is his wife and Tuon smiles.(WH, Ch. 31)
- While being held by Mat they join Valan Luca's traveling show.(CoT, Ch. 1)
- Tuon asks Mat if he remembers Hawking's face.(CoT, Ch. 3)
- Tuon receives gifts from Mat but gives them to Selucia.(CoT, Ch. 28)
- Tuon gives Luca a warrant putting him and the show under her personal protection.(CoT, Ch. 29)
- Tuon receives a razor and horse, from Mat. She takes a ride with him she names the horse Akein.(KoD, Ch. 8)
- While traveling with Mat, Tuon comes across a Shiotan village that sinks into the ground.(KoD, Ch. 10)
- While at a hell (the roughest sort of tavern), Thom learns that some Seanchan are trying to find and kill Tuon. After leaving the hell Mat, Thom, and Tuon are attacked by Darkfriends and defeat them. They decide to leave Luca's circus.(KoD, Ch. 11)
- Tuon asks Mat for a kiss and while traveling they run into Talmanes from Mat's army, the Band of the Red Hand.(KoD, Ch. 25)
- The group travels and meets up with the army.(KoD, Ch. 26)
- Mat attacks different Seanchan groups to lure them out of Molvaine Gap so his group can travel through it.(KoD, Ch. 27)
- Furyk Karede from the Deathwatch Guard shows up and tries to bluff Mat into letting them take Tuon. Mat calls the bluff but tell Karede he can take Tuon as long as he can get her back safely. Karede says he can. Tuon then says Mat is her husband three times, finishing their marriage ceremony. Tuon then leaves with Karede as Mat makes a distraction for the army that is trying to kill Tuon.(KoD, Ch. 36)
- Tuon arrives back at Ebou Dar with the head of Elbar. She punishes Suroth by making her [da'covale]] and giving her to the Deathwatch Guard.
- She holds court in Ebou Dar and convinces Beslan to swear fealty. She raises him to the High Blood (TGS, Ch. 19).
- Yulan proposes a raid in the White Tower (TGS, Ch. 19)
- Tylee returns and tells her of the Trollocs outside Ebou Dar and that they would do better to seek alliances rather than antagonise the Dragon Reborn. She agrees to meet with Rand (TGS, Ch. 19).
- She refrains from declaring herself Empress so that she can meet with the Dragon Reborn as equals (TGS, Ch. 35).
- She meets with Rand and almost bends to his demands, but resists and tells him he must bow to her. He refuses and leaves (TGS, Ch. 35).
- After Rand leaves, she declares herself Empress and orders the raid on the White Tower to proceed (TGS, Ch. 35).
- She sends the raid off personally, giving up one of her own damane, Dali (TGS, Ch. 36).
- Tuon heads to the training room, where Melitene, while using Elaida as a damane, shows that they have learned Traveling. Tuon thinks about how Galgan had met with the assassins in the city and had them killed after getting the prices for her head. She found it more comforting than unwavering loyalty like Beslan's. She makes commands to gather the finest soldiers and to train every damane to Travel so they can make an attack on the White Tower. (ToM, Ch. 47)
Quotes about Tuon
"Beware the fox that makes the ravens fly, for he will marry you and carry you away. Beware the man who remembers Hawkwing's face, for he will marry you and set you free. Beware the man of the red hand for him you will marry and none other." (Lidya's foreteliing, Knife of Dreams, Chapter 36).
Quotes by Tuon
“She’s a very-fine animal. Toy. A wonderful gift. Either you have a good eye, or you were very lucky.” Tuon to Mat after receiving the razor. (KoD, Ch. 8).