New Spring: Chapter 3
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Chapter Icon: A Fish
Point of View: Moiraine
Setting: The White Tower
Tamra decides to offer a bounty to any woman who had recently given birth
Siuan and Moiraine are walking through the corridors. They decide to skip breakfast as they both feel as if they couldn't eat a thing and head towards the Accepted quarters. In Siuan's room, they begin to practice for the Aes Sedai test, with Siuan attempting to make Moiraine lose her concentration. After a little while, Myrelle enters the room and joins in their practicing. Together, Siuan and Myrelle do a good job of distracting Moiraine.
When the four of them reach the Lecture Hall, all of the other Accepted are already there, all of them gossiping about why Tamra wishes to speak to them. One girl thinks that they are all to be tested immediately for the shawl, while another thinks that Gitara had a Foretelling about the end of the White Tower, so they are all going to be sent home.
When Tamra enters the room, she puts all of these rumors to rest. She announces to them all that, in thanksgiving for the continued safety of Tar Valon, the Tower will be awarding each woman in the city and surrounding area who has recently had a child with one hundred crowns. As there are no available Aes Sedai around, she is sending them into the camps nearest to the city to record information on each child that has been born. Each Accepted will be accompanied by four guards. She warns them to be careful, as there are Whitecloaks with the army.
As the Accepted leave, Moiraine and Siuan are both very excited. They know that Tamra wishes to find the Dragon Reborn.
- First Mentioned
- First Appearance
- Siuan is too straight forward to have much ability at Daes Daemar
- Moiraine things Siuan is born lead
- Suian wants to see the world
- Only one daughter of a ruler had become Amyrlin seat - do we know who this is?
- Male servants tend to ignore Accepted, female one tend to watch them closely
- There are rooms for over two hundred accepted, but half haven’t been open in memory. There are about 60 occupied
- There are under a hundred novices rooms occupied, fewer than 20 of the novices will test for accepted
- Some men, the spark doesn’t come until as late as 30
- There are four Sea Folk Aes Sedai, two almost as old as Gitarra..
- Moiraine has seen Zemaile fumble a weave time after time before setting perfectly - is she faking not being able to do it?
- Despite the fortelling, Moiraine isn’t sure if the Dragon has actually been born yet
This section contains Notes on this Chapter which may contain spoilers. Please expand to view.
- Only one daughter of a ruler had become Amyrlin seat - do we know who this is? We are later told Elayne could become the first openly Aes Sedai ruler in a thousand years or more
- Two of the four Sea Folk Aes Sedai, have died by the time of the main series - presumably the older two
- It is likely, based on what we are told in the Companion that Zemaile was indeed attempting to make the Aes Sedai think the Sea Folk were not good candidates