From Tar Valon Library
Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Alanna Mosvani is Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah (TGH, Ch. 4). She is Arafellin (TDR, Ch. 29). Alanna is a beautiful woman. She is slender and has dark eyes and hair. Her eyes are very expressive and flash when she is angry (LoC, Ch. 10). She is noted for her temper and her sense of humor (TDR, Ch. 23).
There are conflicting quotes about Alanna's age. In LoC, Ch. 43, Alanna is supposedly 36 years old but in TPoD, Ch. 12 it is claimed that she has worn the shawl for forty years, making her about 56. In NS, Ch. 3, 978, Alanna is an Accepted. She was a novice for six years, (LoC, Ch. 43), so if she started channeling at the average age of 16 and was just raised to Accepted she would be 43 in the scenes mentioned above.
Alanna and Verin Mathwin traveled to the Two Rivers to test the girls there to see if they could channel. It was there that they found Trollocs and Myrddraal terrorizing the region and both sisters fought the Shadowspawn (TSR, Ch. 31). They take part in the two battles in Emond's Field (TSR, Ch. 44; Ch. 56). They left the region with many female channelers and journeyed towards Tar Valon. When they reached Whitebridge they learnt of the split in the White Tower but continued to Caemlyn. They later decided against taking the girls to Tar Valon (LoC, Ch. 10).
In Caemlyn Alanna and Verin join the Salidar embassy to Rand (LoC, Ch. 43). When Rand leaves for Cairhien Alanna is included in the new embassy because of her bond to Rand (LoC, Ch. 49). She and the new embassy travel to Cairhien with Perrin and his troops (LoC, Ch. 54). Alanna takes part in the battle at Dumai's Wells and is forced to swear fealty to Rand afterwards (LoC, Ch. 55). She is sent to the Wise Ones (ACoS, Ch. 3).
When Rand goes to Far Madding, Cadsuane decides to follow him there. Alanna had to beg to be let to go with her; she disliked being away from Rand for so long. However, Rand asks her to go to Cairhien to collect Rafela, Merana, Bera, and Kiruna. The five sisters are then to Travel to Tear to negotiate with the rebels in Haddon Mirk (WH, Ch. 25).
- Alanna leaves the White Tower to collect women's names for the bounty after the Aiel War (NS, Ch. 3).
- Alanna and Verin leave the Two Rivers with many potential novices (LoC, Ch. 11).
- Alanna arrives in Caemlyn and bonds Rand (LoC, Ch. 10).
- Alanna travels with the reduced Salidar embassy to Cairhien (LoC, Ch. 54).
- Alanna fights in the Battle of Dumai's Wells and swears fealty to Rand (LoC, Ch. 55).
- Alanna Travels to Far Madding with Cadsuane to find Rand (WH, Ch. 23).
- Alanna Travels back to Cairhien to collect Rafela, Merana, Bera, and Kiruna and then Travels to Tear (WH, Ch. 25).
- Alanna is present when Rand Travels to the Stone of Tear to meet with Darlin Sisnera. She seems genuinely pleased to see Rand again. (KoD, Ch. 21)
- Alanna is with Darlin when Rand returns to Tear, but Rand chooses not to look at her (TGS, Ch. 42).
- Alanna disappears from the Stone. Bera claims she felt channeling, but not enough for a gateway. Cadsuane finds an envelope in the room but no letter (ToM, Ch. 12). Rand says she is somewhere to the north (ToM, Ch. 13).
Strengths and Talents
Alanna has been interested in Rand, Mat, and Perrin since she first heard of them (TGH, Ch. 12). She believes that they are too important to be allowed to remain unbonded. She tried to bond Perrin in the Two Rivers but Faile threatened to kill her if she tried it (LoC, Ch. 11). Alanna has, however, bonded Rand. She did this without his permission while she was staying in Caemlyn; he was furious when he realised what she had done (LoC, Ch. 10). Rand has at times forbidden her to approach him (ACoS, Ch. 18).
She has tried to compel Rand using the bond but has found that she can't (LoC, Ch. 49). Alanna is jealous when it comes to Rand. She dislikes it when other sisters try to control him (LoC, Ch. 43). Alanna considers him her responsibility (WH, Ch. 25). She later swears fealty to Rand after the Battle of Dumai's Wells (LoC, Ch. 55). Min has since had a viewing of Alanna showing that she will keep her oath (ACoS, Ch. 34). Over time it becomes easier for Rand to ignore Alanna's presence in his head (TPoD, Ch. 13). Alanna is furious to know that Rand has been bonded by someone else, even though she does not know by whom (WH, Ch. 25).
Min, Elayne, and Aviendha are livid when they learn that Alanna has already bonded Rand (WH, Ch. 12).
Alanna has bonded two willing Warders, Ihvon and Owein. However, Owein was killed by Whitecloaks in the Two Rivers (TSR, Ch. 31). Alanna is distraught over his death and cries often; Rand knows that she is distraught but doesn't know why (ACoS, Ch. 18). Since Owein's demise Ihvon is even more determined to protect Alanna (LoC, Ch. 11).
Perrin was suspicious of Alanna when he first met her in the Two Rivers because he remember Egwene telling him that she was too interested in Rand (TSR, Ch. 31). This is deepened when Verin tells him not to trust Alanna (TSR, Ch. 33).
Egwene does not trust Alanna because she thinks that she shows too much interest in Rand and that she might be Black Ajah (TDR, Ch. 23; TSR, Ch. 31). She feels that behind Alanna's actions are hidden motives (ACoS, Ch. 9).
- When Alanna was an Accepted she was quite shy but always exaggerating. Even then she knew she wanted to be Green Ajah (NS, Ch. 3).
- Alanna accompanied Siuan Sanche to Fal Dara. When they travelled back to Tar Valon, Alanna taught Egwene and Nynaeve about the One Power (TGH, Ch. 11).
- Alanna was partially responsible for the three-arched ter'angreal during Egwene's Accepted test. When it almost destructed she felt that she was to blame and asked for penance. Egwene was suspicious of her motives and thought that she might be Black Ajah (TDR, Ch. 23). When Nynaeve mentioned this suspicion to Siuan she decided to have someone keep an eye one her (TDR, Ch. 29).
- Alanna spent six years as a novice (LoC, Ch. 43). She was Accepted at the same time as Moiraine, Siuan, and Sheriam (NS, Ch. 3).
- When Elayne, Min, and Aviendha bond Rand, Alanna falls unconscious for three days (WH, Ch. 25). During this time her Warder senses that she is afraid to wake (WH, Ch. 13).
- Alanna dislikes fully masking the bond with her Warders (WH, Ch. 25).
Alanna was a shy woman at heart, but she worked hard at being fierce. She told anyone who would listen that she wanted to belong to the Green, the Battle Ajah, and have a dozen Warders. (Moiraine about Alanna; New Spring, Chapter 3)
Alanna nodded in satisfaction. And suddenly the warmth was heat, one great flash of it, as if he stood for a heartbeat in the middle of a roaring furnace. Even after it passed, he felt odd, aware of himself as he never had been before, aware of Alanna. (Rand about Alanna bonding him; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 10)
"I do not know yet, Alanna, whether your actions have had any adverse affect. He did not bring up your bonding him- against his will- but he was very sharp, very sharp." (Merana Ambrey to Alanna about Rand al'Thor; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 43)
"If you had to bond a man without asking him, why, by the Light most holy, have you not used the bond to bend him to your will? Compared to the other, that is only slapping his wrist." (Kiruna Nachiman to Alanna about Rand al'Thor; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 49)
He had sensed tears from the moment she bonded him, tears a raw grief like being ripped by claws. Sometimes it was less, sometimes more, yet always there. (Rand al'Thor about Alanna's grief; A Crown of Swords, Chapter 18)
"You let someone else bond you?" she snarled. "How dare you! Whoever she is, I'll see her before a court! I'll see her birched! You are mine!" (Alanna on hearing that Rand has been bonded by someone else; Winter's Heart, Chapter 25)
"Success? A blow?" Alanna's scowl took in Weiramon and Anaiyella both before she twisted back around to face Rand. "They landed at the Stone's docks with one ship, but they put most of their armsmen and all the mercenaries they hired in Cairhien ashore from the rest upriver. With orders to enter the city and attack the rebels." She made a sound of disgust. "The only result was a great many men dead and our negotiations with the rebels thrown back to the beginning." (Alanna talking about Weiramon and Anaiyella; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 21)
Caraline and Min seemed to have switched their talk to clothing. At least, they were fingering each other's coats, and he heard words like back-stitch and bias-cut. Whatever that meant. Alanna's gaze drifted between him and Min, and he felt disbelief warring with suspicion along the bond. (Rand observing Alanna; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 21)