From Tar Valon Library
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Tamra Ospenya, Amyrlin Seat from the year 973 NE until 979 NE, was raised from the Blue Ajah. After being raised to the position of Amyrlin, as is required, she gave up her Ajah and became a member of all Ajahs and none. To show this, she wears skirts slashed with the seven colors of the Ajahs (NS, Ch. 2).
During her reign as Amyrlin Seat, Tamra had two Keepers of the Chronicles. The first, Gitara Moroso, died after Foretelling the rebirth of the Dragon. After Gitara's death, Aeldra Najaf was raised to this position (NS, Ch. 7).
- Tamra is raised to the Amyrlin Seat in 973 NE (TWoRJTWoT, Ch. 24).
- Tamra is confident about the war with the Aiel (NS, Ch. 2).
- Tamra sits with Gitara Moroso, looking through papers, while Moiraine and Siuan stand in attendance (NS, Ch. 2).
- When Gitara dies, Tamra tells Moiraine and Siuan not to tell anyone (NS, Ch. 2).
- Tamra speaks to all of the Accepted, telling them that the White Tower will be giving a bounty of one hundred gold marks to every woman in the camps outside who has given birth to a child within the past little while. It is really an attempt to find the Dragon Reborn (NS, Ch. 3).
- Tamra visits Moiraine and Siuan on the second day that they spend recopying the lists of names for the bounty. She agrees to let them keep working, until they become bored with the task (NS, Ch. 6).
- On the third morning of recopying, she visits them once again, and is surprised that they are not yet bored. She again agrees to let them keep working (NS, Ch. 7).
- Tamra sends notes to Kerene Nagashi and Aisha Raveneos, most likely about searching for the Dragon Reborn (NS, Ch. 7).
- Tamra sends more messages, to Meilyn Arganya, Valera Gorovni and Ludice Daneen (NS, Ch. 7).
- Five days after Gitara's death, Aeldra Najaf is raised to the position of Keeper of the Chronicles (NS, Ch. 7).
- Tamra raises Moiraine and Siuan to Aes Sedai (NS, Ch. 11).
- Tamra dies in 979 NE, killed by the Black Ajah, who are also trying to find the Dragon Reborn (NS, Ch. 14).
Relationships with Other Characters
Tamra seems to have a fairly good relationship with her first Keeper, Gitara Moroso. She genuinely grieves after her death (NS, Ch. 2).
Moiraine admired Tamra greatly; Tamra was kind to Moiraine, and seemed to like her fairly well (NS, Ch. 2).
- It is believed by the general public that Tamra died in her sleep. The truth is that the Black Ajah tortured her for information on the Dragon Reborn (ACoS, Prologue; ACoS, Ch. 40; WH, Ch. 10).
- Siuan still shivers sometimes when she thinks of the torture Tamra must have endured (TGS, Ch. 8).
"Not now, Gitara. Not now, when I need you most." (Tamra to Gitara; New Spring, Chapter 2)
"You are both intelligent. And not deaf, unfortunately. You know what Gitara just Foretold." (Tamra to Moiraine and Siuan; New Spring, Chapter 2)
"You will tell no one about this, not for any reason. If necessary, lie. Even to a sister. Gitara died without speaking. Do you understand me?" (Tamra to Moiraine and Siuan; New Spring, Chapter 2)
"A Whitecloak will know an Accepted's dress when he sees one, and if he can safely put an arrow through her back, it will please him as much as if she were Aes Sedai." (Tamra to the Accepted; New Spring, Chapter 3)
"It is half done, and the White Tower is graven on your bones. Rise now, Aes Sedai, and choose your Ajah, and all will be done that may be done under the Light." (Tamra to Moiraine and Siuan at their raising; New Spring, Chapter 11)
"Very well, if you think you need to be occupied, you may continue. When the boredom of copying all day overcomes you, leave a note with your finished work, and I will see to replacing you." (Tamra to Moiraine and Siuan; New Spring, Chapter 6)
"Ink is very difficult to remove, especially from white cloth. I won't tell you not to channel to do it; you know that already." (Tamra to Moiraine; New Spring, Chapter 6)
"May the Light illumine Tamra's soul, brightly as she deserved, and may she shelter in the Creator's hand until her rebirth. The Light send her a radiant rebirth. I cannot think of any woman I admired more than Tamra. I admire her and honor her still. I always will." (Moiraine's speech at Tamra's funeral; New Spring, Chapter 14)