Talaan din Gelyn
From Tar Valon Library
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
- Talaan travels to, and across, Andor. After that, she arrives at the Royal Palace with the others (TPoD, Ch. 6; TPoD, Ch. 20; TPoD, Ch. 28).
Talaan is very close to her mother. In private, they display affection quite openly, but in public, Caire is unable to show any sign of favor towards her daughter. This makes it seem, to others like Nynaeve, that they are not close at all (WH, Ch. 11).
Both Tebreille and Caire share a deep concern for Talaan after she runs off with Merilille (KoD, Ch. 22).
- Talaan is a very strong channeler; she is as strong as Nynaeve (TPoD, Ch. 2).
- The Gelyn family is blessed with many high-ranking members in Sea Folk society. Five of Talaan's family members are Windfinders to Sea Folk Clans. This, however, causes others to be suspicious that perhaps the Gelyn family is abusing its power. Because of this, Talaan is punished for doing things she did not do, or for being too slow when she is going as fast as she can. She realizes that she will be held back for several years, just so that no one can think that she is being favored (WH, Ch. 11).
- Chanelle wants to know if Elayne is even trying to find Talaan and Merilille. Elayne replies that the news regarding them is the same as yesterday, and the last week, and the week before that: Talaan and Merilille are not to be found in Caemlyn (KoD, Ch. 14).
- Chanelle claims that Merilille has kidnapped Talaan, and thinks that Elayne is hiding them (KoD, Ch. 14).
"'Can I go to the White Tower?' she asked breathlessly, wringing her hands and dancing from foot to foot. 'I will never be chosen. A sacrifice, they call it, leaving the sea forever, but I dream of becoming a novice. I will miss my mother terribly, but...please. You must take me to the Tower. You must!'" (To Nynaeve; WH, Ch. 11)
"'I am nineteen!' Talaan replied indignantly. Looking at that boyish face and form, Nynaeve was not sure she believed. 'And of course I will miss my mother. Do I look unnatural? Oh; I see. You do not understand. We are very affectionate in private, but she must avoid any sign of favor in public. That is a serious crime, with us. It could have mother stripped of her rank, and both of us hung upside down in the rigging to be flogged.'" (To Nynaeve; WH, Ch. 11)
"Everyone tries to avoid even a hint of favor, but it is worse for me, Nynaeve! My grandmother is Windfinder to the Wavemistress of Clan Rossaine, my great-grandmother is Windfinder to Clan Dacan, and her sister to Clan Takana. My family is honored that five of us have risen so high. And everyone watches for signs that Gelyn abuses its influence. Rightly so, I know - favor cannot be allowed - but my sister was kept an apprentice five years longer than normal, and my cousin six! Just so no one can claim they were favored. When I cast the stars and give our position correctly, I am punished for being slow even when I have the answer as fast as Windfinder Ehvon! When I taste the sea and name the coast we are approaching, I am punished because the taste I name is not quite what Windfinder Ehvon tastes! I shielded you twice, but tonight I will hang by my ankles for not doing so sooner! I am punished for flaws ignored in others, for flaws I never make, because I might! Was your novice training any harder than that, Nynaeve?" (To Nynaeve; WH, Ch. 11)
"My aunt is sly and deceitful. She celebrates any humiliation she can cause my mother. But my mother will bring her low, as she deserves. One day, Tebreille will find herself serving on a soarer, beneath a Sailmistress with an iron hand and sore teeth!" (To Nynaeve; WH, Ch. 11)
"You cannot speak out during the lessons, of course, but any other time will do. Announce that I am to go to the Tower, and they will not be able to deny you. You are Aes Sedai!" (To Nynaeve; WH, Ch. 11)