The Tower in 2016
The major events at TarValon.Net in 2016.
- Main article: 2016 Annual Report
It was a relatively quiet year for major change at the site. The only main structural change was the elimination of the role of Department of Administration, and the division of that department's duties into other departments. The community structure had no major changes this year. Six new Merit Badge categories were released, including: Alchemist Merit, Tournament Winners Merit, Sponsorship Merit, Gleeman Merit, Logo Design Merit, and Event Participation Merit Da’covale. The Graphics Development Team completed several projects, including the creation of a Citizen logo, Junior Member logo, and the ongoing creation of Merit Badge logos.
- Main article: Spring 2016 Admin Meeting
The decision was made to release the number of applicants received for a job posting, in order to show the difficulty in obtaining applications for many of the jobs on the site. Focus groups were suggested and decided upon to discuss any changes to the current site rules for bonding. The decision was announced to open a new open graphics request forum to the site as a whole. The Book forums were rearranged into WoT 1-8 and WoT 1-14, and a new forum dedicated to the works of Brandon Sanderson was also decided upon.
- Main article: Winter 2016 Admin Meeting
The decision was announced that the Merit Staff team would be transformed into the Awards Historian role, who would report to the Director of Research and Records. The decision to officially dissolve the Department of Administration was announced, and their duties were dispersed into other departments.
- Main article: 2016 Membership Survey
Out of 382 active members, the response rate for this survey was 43.19% and the completion rate was 33.77%. The community group with the highest number of participants was the Blue Ajah with 14 members completing the survey. The most important question asked on the survey was “Are you Team Julie or Team Jessica?!” with 31% being for Rabid Novice Julie, and 17% for Rabid Novice Jessica. The survey is then broken down by Department.
The site experienced a slight increase to new membership, with a total of 39 new Citizens joining this year. 9 Citizens applied to the Tower to join the Novice/Recruit rank, and 4 Junior Members applied to join the Accepted/Soldier rank. 15 Junior Members were raised to Senior Member status in 2016. 230 members were removed during the 2016 Membership Cleanup.
- Main article: 2016 Raisings
- Main article: 2016 Bondings
Seven couples bonded during the year. Three couples dissolved their bonds in January, with a further four following suit in July, of which two were the result of demotions.
- Main article: 2016 Demotions
Five people demoted this year.
- Main article: Maintaining the Tower Fundraiser
The TarValon.Net Maintenance Fundraiser for 2016 had the theme of "Pugs vs. Kittens". Several prizes were raffled, and the Tower raised a total of $2,842.91 which fell short of the $3,500 goal.
- Main article: 2016 Outreach Activities
- Black Tower Week 2016: This event was held from March 28 - April 1 to commemorate being completely debt free.
- Bel Tine: This event was held from April 10 - 16.
- Homecoming: This event was held from October 14 - October 17 to celebrate Robert Jordan's birthday.
- Shaoman: This event was held October 23 - November 1.
- Main article: 2016 Official Events
April 1-4, held in Placerville, California. 27 people attended.
April 22-24, held in Atlanta, Georgia. 47 members attended.
October 14-16, held in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 10 people attended.
September 23-24, held in Ølbergtunet, Stavanger, Norway. 13 people attended.
- Member of the Year: Sailea Nerid
- Philanthropist of the Year: Ivanor Winshaw
- Volunteer of the Year: Cahalan Sothron
- Unsung Servant: Lithiel Morn
- Keeper's Awards
- Main article: Keeper's Awards 2016
- Extraordinary Service: Sa'areah Britthorn
- Staff Member of the Year: Selvyn al'Aran
- Staff Member of the Year: Kerwin Thaumiel
- Non Membership Admin of the Year: Reniel Killan
- Membership Admin of the Year: Kassidy Rose ni DaiShan t'al'Kalin
- Moderator of the Year: Leira Galene
- Merit Awards
The first set of Merit Awards were given out at the beginning of January, following the Winter Admin Meeting. At the start of February, many Gold Membership Merits were given to people that have been here and/or been a Senior Member more than 10 years.
- Members' Choice Awards
- Main article: Members' Choice Awards 2016
25 awards were given out this year.
- Main article: Administrative and Staff Positions in 2016
The Department of Administration was officially disbanded as of the Winter 2016 Admin Meeting.