From Tar Valon Library
|Affiliation||San d'ma Shadar|
|Join Date||February 14, 2005|
|Bonded to||Rhed al'Tere|
|Link to Forum Profile|
Jeffan is a Gaidin of the San d'ma Shadar company and has been a member since February of 2005. After retiring from the site for a brief period in mid-2006, he rejoined the Tower and was raised to Gaidin at the Tower's 10th Anniversary Party. He has contributed to the Tower in numerous staff positions, accumulating over 170 months of staff time in five departments. Jeffan served as Editor of the Tar Valon Times from November 2011 to August 2012. He holds three gold and nine silver merit badges, and was awarded the Amyrlin's Award for Unsung Servant for 2012. In January of 2013, he bonded Rhed al'Tere of the Red Ajah.
- Joined TarValon.Net: February 14, 2005
- Joined Tower: July 7, 2005
- Raised Soldier: December 25, 2005
- Retired: March 13, 2006
- Citizen Contact List: May 3, 2012 - present
- Library Editor: May 12, 2011 - August 27, 2012
- Chat Operator: February 17, 2010 - August 27, 2012
- Editor of the Tar Valon Times: November 30, 2011 - August 27, 2012
- Merit Minion: August 28, 2011 - August 27, 2012
- Graphics Development Team: July 14, 2010 - August 3, 2012
- Warder Councillor for San d'ma Shadar: July 1, 2011 - July 1, 2012
- Forum Moderator:
- General Forum / Frivolous Fun Forum Moderator: July 1, 2011 - July 1, 2012
- Junior Member Summer Camp: July 7, 2011 - August 10, 2011
- General Forum: January 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
- Olde Warder and Hen Forum: January 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
- Home and Garden Forum: April 15, 2011 - June 30, 2011
- Mundane World / General Forum: January 1, 2010 - July 1, 2010
- SDS Historian: August 9, 2011 - June 29, 2012
- Assistant in the Department of Administration: May 1, 2011 - April 3, 2012
- Outreach Activities Team: November 8, 2011 - December 31, 2011
- Tar Valon Times Staff:
- July 1, 2011 - November 30, 2011
- January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010
- 2011 Town Hall Meeting Moderator: October 29, 2011
- Classroom Teacher:
- Archival Minion: April 20, 2011 - July 30, 2011
- Online Events Team: January 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010
- Creative Articles
- 2013 Members' Choice Award: Most Likely to get Eaten by a Trolloc
- 2012 Amyrlin's Award: Unsung Sevant
- 2011 Feastday Award: Spirit of Shaoman
- 2010 Members' Choice Award: Outstanding Recruit Spirit
- Jaim al'Bearach, Gaidin of Dai M'Hael
- Jasin Bashar, Gaidin of Val'Cueran
- Darim Pelegro, Gaidin of Mahdi'in d'ma Dieb
- Darian Coralis, Gaidin of San d'ma Shadar
- Mentorpartner/husband with Azrael al'Letifer
- Rami al'Quat, Recruit of the White Tower
- Stephen Lightheart, Gaidin of San d'ma Shadar
- Mejjad Martnandi, Recruit of the White Tower
- Midian Venamar, Soldier of the White Tower
Other Tower Relationships
- First-Brother to Guiyall Rithmaire, Gaidin of Dai M'Hael
- Near-Brother to Murasaki al'Aevon, Lireina Dormerus t'al`Bearach and Stephen Lightheart
- Served as a sponsor for Rami al'Quat, Ara Alyona, Julina d'Elrohiri, Mejjad Martnandi, and Owenaleah al'Saturni
- Sponsored to the Tower by Jaim al'Bearach, Kyla Sterling, Arisaema Draconis and Lireina Dormerus t'al`Bearach
Official Event Attendance
- JordanCon 2013 in Roswell, Georgia (Program Participant)
- 11th Anni Party in Estes Park, Colorado (Entertainment Committee Leader & Awards Committee Leader) [Participated in Horseshoes & Trivia]
- 10th Anni Party in Charleston, South Carolina (Decorating Committee) [Partcipated in Sumo Wrestling]
- 9th Anni Party in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin (Dining Committee) [Participated in Archery]
- 8th Anni Party in Millersylvania, Washington (Welcome & Dining Committees)
- Participated in the Investiture Ceremony at 11th Anni
- Was a Soldier of Val'Cueran prior to retirement
- Has had four official avatars
- Was 'drunken raised' to Soldier at 9th Anni
Senior Member Interview
September 26, 2011
- Why did you choose San d'ma Shadar?
I felt that they were where home was. Once I realized that I had a very misconstrued understanding of what SDS was (I assumed they were all woman-obsessed alcoholics), I saw them in a new light, and I found out that I fit in really well with all of the Bears. They're all a bunch of very passionate guys who enjoy having fun and want to live life with no qualms or regrets, and that's something that I also live by.
- Do you fit the San d'ma Shadar stereotype? Do you enjoy the female anatomy and copious amounts of alcohol?
Dear lord, no. I'm probably the least butch SDS in the Company. I do very much enjoy the male anatomy, and alcohol can be fun, but I definitely don't fit the standard SDS mold. I think that we're all a little different, but I'm definitely one of the ones that's quite a bit out there. I do, however, fit the physical mold of an SDS Gaidin: big and husky. To quote Karassa, "SDS: We ain't friggin' elves."
- What male character from the novels do you think would fit best in San d'ma Shadar?
Bayle Domon is always the first person that comes to mind when I think of SDS. He's someone who does anything that he has to do to protect the people that he cares about, and he's also very firm in his beliefs, which is something I think is important. My view of him being SDS is also helped by the fact that he's a big, burly guy that you just don't want to mess with.
Birgitte is someone else who comes to mind. She's also very protective of the people that she cares about, and she's unwavering in her duties. I also love that she's an absolutely badass woman who doesn't take any bull from anyone - man or woman.
- How long have you been a fan of the Wheel of Time series?
Since about 2002, I think! I didn't really get into it until 2005 or so when I joined the site, but I'd been a "casual" fan for awhile.
- How did you first get into the series?
My 6th grade teacher mentioned an epic fantasy series that had to do with dragons, and at the time I was completely obsessed with dragons - it was actually kind of ridiculous and embarassing. So I picked up The Eye of the World and read about half of it, but got a little lost (I was 11 at the time!) so I put it down. About six months later I picked it up again and read it all. I was a little sad realizing that there weren't any "real" dragons in it, but I quickly overcame my initial sadness once I realized how utterly awesome the series was.
- Who is your favorite "hero"?
In the first few books, it's Moiraine all the way. I absolutely love her. She's this mythical figure that we all hope will enter our lives some day to take us away from our humdrum lives, and she's absolutely fantastic. However, when she started playing a more minor role in the series, I eventually came to love Rand. I know, he's a bit of an idiot sometimes, and he's always down on himself moaning about the women he's killed, but he becomes a really badass character! He's like this God among men with all the insane power that he has, and it's kind of ridiculous what he's able to do and how much he's able to influence the world with that power. Nynaeve is also a big-time favorite, just because she's so opinionated and she doesn't let anything get in her way, and that's definitely something that I admire. Another honorable mention is Cadsuane, simply because she's a pretty fearless woman.
- Favorite bad guy/gal?
Padan Fain all the way. He is the most detestable character in the entire series. He's been so twisted and corrupted by The Dark One that he's become almost a victim, but then he also brings Mordeth into himself, and it just creates this absolutely wicked character with a lot of unknown powers. He's been my favorite guy to hate for a long time. Close seconds are Lanfear for being another pretty fearless bitch, and Moghedien, simply because she's just so damned sneaky!
- Favorite book and scene?
My favorite book is probably The Great Hunt. It's such an epic volume, and it does so much for character development. They're all realizing their paths in life and that they aren't farm folk anymore, and it's really interesting to see them transform as individuals. And the end scene at Falme? Well, that just kind of speaks for itself. So much happens it's just ridiculously awesome.
My favorite scene is kind of an ongoing thing. I love every interaction between Nynaeve and Moghedien. I simply love how much they loathe each other, and all of their scenes leave me holding my breath. The first time when they had their battle in the Hall of Artifacts in Tanchico was totally jaw-dropping, and that was the first time that I actually cheered out loud at a book. Ever. My other favorite scene is when Nynaeve finally captures her with forkroot. It was fantastic seeing Moghedien totally owned.
- If you were set down in Randland, who/what would you see yourself as? An Aes Sedai? Innkeeper? Seanchan Captain?
I'd probably want to be a sage innkeeper or something. You know, the type that has a lot of information and knows all the gossip around the the city (and the world, most likely), and keeps people informed for a price. I'd want to be that invaluable character that knows absolutely everything. I'd be a bit of a hussy as well, using my reputation to lure men into bed, simply because it totally fits my personality. I'm definitely not someone who's suited for fighting, so I'd stay the heck away from being a Soldier or Warder. Being an Aes Sedai (assuming men could become Aes Sedai) would be cool, but I just don't really see it fitting my personality too well. I mean, don't get me wrong, it'd be friggin' awesome to be able to do that kind of stuff with the Power, but it's just not me, unfortunately!
- How did you find TarValon.Net and what convinced you to stay and become a Senior Member?
I found TV.Net through a general search in google for "Wheel of Time" - I was looking up the answer to a question I had in the first book and this site just popped up. I saw it had a chat room and I joined the same day. As for what convinced me to stay, well... that has to be the community. The members at the Tower are some of the most supportive and genuinely amazing people that I have ever met, and I couldn't imagine not being apart of that.
- What do you do in "real life"?
I currently have a part-time job posting ads online for car dealerships. It's a pretty easy gig, but not terribly fulfilling. I'm looking for other work right now!
- Do you have any hobbies?
I'm a part-time book reviewer for an online blog, and I absolutely love writing reviews and receiving review copies from publishers (it's kind of a thrill when you get to read a book months before the general public will!), and being able to chat with authors and people in the book business is really a lot of fun. I also like to bowl, although I don't get out to do so as much as I'd like since I left my regular league. I spend time with my sister and I've been slowly converting her to the geeky ways (right now she's pretty obsessed with The Lord of the Rings - so that's a big accomplishment for me!).
- What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
I love things with a good beat that just make me want to dance, so there's quite a bit of pop in my collection. I also listen to a bit of Hip-Hop/R&B, some country and a bit of jazz. My favorite artists are P!nk, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Katie Melua, Kelly Clarkson, Vanessa Carlton, Cher and the Glee Cast. I own all of the Glee songs and listen to 'em all the time!
- What are some of your favorite movies / television shows?
I have an immense DVD collection, so picking out a favorite is kinda difficult. I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter films, as well as The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm a huge Stargate fan as well - all incarnations of it but my favorite is Stargate Atlantis by far. The Wraith are such awesome bad guys. Some other favorite television shows are Bones, The Big Bang Theory, Cold Case, True Blood, Grey's Anatomy, Fringe, Dead Like Me, Chuck and Modern Family.
- Aside from The Wheel of Time, what are a few of your favorite books/series?
I absolutely love the Harry Potter novels. They're the first fantasy books that I read and they're basically what started it all for me. I was so sad when the series ended, but being able to read them over and over is always a treat. Aside from that, I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson and his Mistborn series, and I have pretty high hopes for his Stormlight Archive novels. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is another great YA series with a bunch of wit that makes me laugh quite a lot, which is always a plus for a book. I'm also a fan of Blake Charlton's Spellwright Trilogy and everything Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey.
- What profession did you want to have when you were a kid?
Like all kids, I went through the marine biologist phase. I was obsessed with the ocean and how cool it was. I wanted to dive underwater with sharks and whales and jellyfish and just have fun - but then I realized that very rarely would I actually get to do that as a marine biologist, and that most of my time would be spent in a lab, and that's just not really my type of thing. Then I wanted to be a psychologist, since I knew from experience how much of an impact they can have on peoples lives, but, again, I eventually realized it wouldn't be for me. Then I wanted to be a librarian - and up until recently, that was my ultimate passion, but recently I've given a lot of thought towards getting into the book publishing industry. Not sure what I'd do, hopefully an editor or something, but I'm still exploring possibilities!
With Relinya - and yes, it was that big.