From Tar Valon Library
A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion confirming the information available in the main story arc.
Author: Leora Oldessroth
Daerid Ondin is a commander of Cairhienin pikemen; he is half a head shorter than Mat, has hard eyes, three white scars crisscrossing his face, and a nose that has been repeatedly broken (TFoH, Ch. 43). Daerid is a little taller than Talmanes and fifteen years older than him; Daerid is a commoner and has been a soldier all his life (LoC, Ch. 5).
- He agrees to follow Mat's plan to survive an ambush by the Shaido during the fighting outside of Cairhien (TFoH, Ch. 43).
- After the troops under Mat's command are dispersed, Daerid, Talmanes, and Nalesean find Mat to find out what to do next in the battle; Daerid tells Mat that the next group of Shaido they will face is led by Couladin (TFoH, Ch. 43).
- Daerid warns Mat to stay with his pikemen when facing Couladin's Shaido and not to try and fight a duel; he says that Mat's plan for entrapping Couladin is a good one (TFoH, Ch. 44).
- After they win the battle, Daerid gives Mat an ointment to stop his bleeding (TFoH, Ch. 45).
- To celebrate the win, Daerid gets drunk with Estean and an Aielman; Mat sees them staggering, holding each other up and singing Jak o' the Shadows.
- Daerid joins the Band of the Red Hand and Mat makes him Commander of the Band's foot soldiers (LoC, Ch. 5).
- So many men want to join the Band that Daerid doubles his number of foot soldiers and has to turn people away (TFoH, Ch. 51).
- Daerid, Talmanes, and Nalesean come down to the docks after the explosion of the twisted red door-frame ter'angreal (TFoH, Ch. 53).
- As an officer, Daerid stays with Mat at The Golden Stag in Maerone; Daerid laughs at Mat's attempts to flirt with Betse Silvin, the serving maid (LoC, Ch. 5).
- Mat gives Daerid, Talmanes, and Nalesean orders to get the Band ready to move at first light; Daerid and the rest of the Band begin making their way to Tear (LoC, Ch. 5; Ch. 22).
- Daerid lets Mat know that Rand has arrived in the Band's camp; Rand sends Mat and the Band to find Elayne and escort her back to Caemlyn (LoC, Ch. 33).
- Once the Band reaches Salidar, Mat orders Daerid, Talmanes, and Nalesean to make camp as though the Band were to be attacked; he leaves the Band and heads for Salidar (LoC, Ch. 38).
- Daerid is still with the main group of the Band, giving advice to Estean, who is in charge while Mat and Talmanes are gone (KoD, Ch. 26).
- During the Last Battle, he is with the Dragons (AMoL, Ch. 41).