Author: Val a'Shain
Pedron Niall is the Lord Captain Commander of the Children of the Light, a military organisation with the sole purpose of fighting Darkfriends. Niall is an old man with over forty years of service as a commander of the Children of the Light. He is considered one of the great captains of his time.
His body looks all bone and sinew but there is noting frail about him. His skin is thin as scraped parchment drawn tight over by age (TDR, Prologue). He has white hair and a thin reedy voice (TGH, Ch. 5).
Niall is focussed on uniting the nations under the banner of the Children of the Light. He believes Tarmon Gai'don is approaching and dreams of being to one to lead the last battle and winning it. He spends much of his attention to the outside world underestimating discontent in his own ranks. A mistake that will cost him his life in 1000 NE.
- In 957 NE the then Captain Commander Pedron Niall leads the Whitecloak army in their attempt to gain control over Altara. A coalition lead by the King of Illian, Mattin Stepaneos, opposed them. This war is know as the Whitecloak War, the Children of the Light refer to it as the Troubles though. Under Niall's command the Whitecloaks won almost all battles but Altara proved more than they could stomach in the end. Niall's name as a great battle commander was made though (TWoRJTWoT).
- In 978 Captain Commander Niall leads the Whitecloak forces in the Battle of the Shining Walls. He is in overall command on the second day of the battle (The World of Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time"). He is also in command the day the retreating Aiel reach the Kinslayer's Dagger (NS, Ch. 12).
- In 989 Niall is appointed to the position of Lord Captain Commander (TDR, Prologue).
- In the spring of 998 NE Niall sends Geofram Bornhald on a mission that will take him to Falme (TGH, Ch. 5). The objective of that mission is to revive the nation of Almoth under the banner of the Whitecloaks effectively pincering Tarabon between Whitecloak ruled Amadicia and Almoth. The objective is not known to Bornhald but only to the Questioner Jaichim Carridin (TDR, Prologue).
- A month after Ordeith's arrival Jaret Byar reports to Niall of Geofram Bornhald's death. His plans are ruined but he sees new opportunities, if he lives long enough to realize them. Niall is now convinced Tarmon Gai'don is coming. He gives Byar leave to join Dain Bornhald near Tar Valon (TDR, Prologue).
- After Byar leaves Niall berates Carridin for messing up his plans for Almoth. He orders the Questioner to keep the newly proclaimed Dragon alive. He hopes to frighten Almoth, Arad Doman and Tarabon into rallying to the Whitecloak's banner. He also makes it clear to Carridin that if anything were to happen to Niall Carridin would not live much longer (TDR, Prologue).
- After Carridin leaves Ordeith comes to see Niall. He knows the name of the newly proclaimed Dragon and knows he is from the Two Rivers. The same place the "Darkfriend" Perrin is from. Ordeith seems to know him, too. Niall tells Ordeith he should make plans for the Two Rivers once the snow clears (TDR, Prologue).
- Ordeith carries Niall's orders regarding the Two Rivers to Dain Bornhald. They include giving Ordeith a free hand (TSR, Ch. 1).
- In the long summer of 999 Niall starts pulling the Whitecloak legions back to Amadicia (TFoH, Ch. 9).
- Morgase, Queen of Andor, seeks refuge in Amadicia after fleeing Gaebril/Rahvin. Niall attempts to use her to gain influence in Andor, traditionally closely allied to Tar Valon (LoC, Prologue).
- Niall recalls Carridin to Amador. He has admitted to himself the world will not rally to his banner without further action. He sends Carridin to Altara with new orders (LoC, Prologue).
- Niall receives a report of Seanchan activity from the hands of his decoy spymaster Omerna. Matters are spiraling beyond his control quickly. He continues his ingathering of the Legions to strike where it will do the most good. He still intends to live long enough to see the world united to face Tarmon Gai'don (LoC, Ch. 9).
- Morgase agrees to Niall's condition for the Children's help to regain her throne. Niall tells here there are things to consider before he can move into Andor (LoC, Ch. 31).
- Niall is murdered in 1000 NE by Omerna. He was tricked into it by Valda and is killed on the spot by Valda for treason. Before he dies, Niall tries to draw the attention of his killers to an important message he has just received. The message is unreadable when Valda finds it though (ACoS, Prologue).
Niall considers Geofram Bornhald to be his best battle commander. He is one of the few people Niall trusts (TGH, Ch. 5).
Niall thinks Byar is not a man who can think for himself (TDR, Prologue).
Niall is attracted to Morgase, he considers her a worthy opponent (ACoS, Prologue).
Niall despises Valda (ACoS, Prologue).
- Niall is considered one of the Great Captains of his time, only equalled by Gareth Bryne of Andor, Agelmar Jagad of Shienar, Davram Bashere of Saldaea and Rodel Ituralde of Arad Doman (TFoH, Ch. 27).
- Gold doesn't interest Pedron Niall (TDR, Prologue).
- Niall has been married but is now many years a widower (ACoS, Prologue).
- Niall doesn't allow people to wear swords in his presence (TDR, Prologue).
- Niall first battle was over seventy years ago (in 1000 NE) (ACoS, Prologue).
- Niall's left eye flutters involuntarily when he is very angry (LoC, Ch. 9).
"There had been no male Aes Sedai since the Breaking of the World, but the women who still claimed that title were bad enough. They prated of their Three Oaths: to speak no word that was not true, to make no weapon for one man to kill another, to use the One Power as a weapon only against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn. But now they had showed those oaths for the lies they were. He had always known no one could want the power they wielded except to challenge the Creator, and that meant to serve the Dark One." (Niall thinking about Aes Sedai after he has received word on the events at Falme; The Dragon Reborn, Prologue)
"It is no treason to do what must be done. And even blasphemy can be tolerated for a cause." (Niall justifying the orders he's giving; The Dragon Reborn, Prologue)
"Do you know how to unite people behind you, Child Carridin? The quickest way? No? Loose a lion -- a rabid lion -- in the streets. And when panic grips the people, once it has turned their bowels to water, calmly tell them you will deal with it. Then you kill it, and order them to hang the carcass up where everyone can see. Before they have time to think, you give another order, and it will be obeyed. And if you continue to give orders, they will continue to obey, for you will be the one who saved them, and who better to lead?" (Niall giving Carridin new orders; The Dragon Reborn, Prologue)
"Pedron Niall was a man of cold logic, and he had reasoned out how Tarmon Gai'don would be. Bestial Trolloc hordes rolling south out of the Great Blight as they had in the Trolloc Wars, two thousand years before, with the Myrddraal -- the Halfmen -- leading, and perhaps even new human Dreadlords from among the Darkfriends. Humankind, split into nations squabbling among themselves, could not stand against that. But he, Pedron Niall, would unite humankind behind the banners of the Children of the Light. There would be new legends, to tell how Pedron Niall had fought Tarmon Gai'don, and won." (Niall thinking about Tarmon Gai'don; The Dragon Reborn, Prologue)
"Do you think Ailron will give you what you need? You are a beautiful woman, Morgase, and Ailron prizes women with sun-gold hair. He will come a little closer each day to the agreement you seek, never quite reaching it, until you decide that perhaps, with... a certain sacrifice, he will yield also. But he will come no nearer what you want, whatever you give. This so-called Prophet's mobs ravage the north of Amadicia. To the west lies Tarabon, with a ten-sided civil war, brigands sworn to the so-called Dragon Reborn, and rumors of Aes Sedai and the false Dragon himself to frighten Ailron. Give you soldiers? Could he find ten men for every one he has under arms now, or even two, he would mortgage his soul. But I can send five thousand Children of the Light riding to Caemlyn with you at their head if you but ask." (Niall to Morgase after he finds her in Amador; Lord of Chaos, Prologue)