From Tar Valon Library
Chel Vanin is a former horse thief and poacher who was employed by Mat as a scout for the Band. He was so good at this that only the three other best, who themselves had escaped the attentions of most soldiers and all the commanders, even knew he was a thief (LoC, Ch. 22). He is an Andoran and very fat, but an excellent horseman (LoC, Ch. 22). Unlike the other scouts, who were on triple pay, he demanded quadruple, something Mat considered to have been good value. He also considers himself above much of the other mundane work of soldiering, such as putting up tents or hitching teams and wagons, something the others accept (CoT, Ch. 28; KoD, Ch. 8). He is balding with a gap in his teeth (LoC, Ch. 38). Vanin is somewhat protective of his position and was jealous of the Band having a mapmaker until it became clear that Roidelle was no guide (TGS, Ch. 20).
Vanin does not much like noblemen and approved of Mat not wanting to be called “lord” (LoC, Ch. 22). Despite this, by the time he reaches Ebou Dar, he is knuckling is forehead to Elayne and calling her “my Lady” (LoC, Ch. 47).
He manages to avoid getting into scrapes while in Ebou Dar (ACoS, Ch. 12).
He is not good on boats (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- He is taken on as a scout on the way to Maerone (LoC, Ch. 22).
- He finds a group of slaughtered Tuatha'an (LoC, Ch. 22).
- He finds the Salidar camp and returns to Mat without getting caught by the Warders (LoC, Ch. 38)
- He sneaks out of Salidar to take a message to Talmanes (LoC, Ch. 40) and sneaks back in shortly after (LoC, Ch. 44).
- He accompanies Mat to Ebou Dar (LoC, Ch. 44).
- He moves into the Tarasin Palace with Mat and the rest (ACoS, Ch. 28).
- He goes to the Rahad to collect the Bowl of the Winds (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- He enters the house with Elayne and is attacked by the gholam (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- Mat offers to buy him passage out of Ebou Dar after the gholam finds him, but he refuses (WH, Ch. 17).
- He leaves Ebou Dar with Mat (WH, Ch. 31).
- He returns to Mat with Talmanes (KoD, Ch. 25).
- Using Roidelle's maps, Vanin helps the Band through the Damona mountains (TGS, Ch. 20; Ch. 17).
- When the three Aes Sedai leave Mat's camp, Mat sends Vanin with them (ToM, Ch. 17).
“Vanin could steal a hen pheasant's eggs without disturbing her on the nest, though it was unlikely he would fail to put her in the sack too. Vanin could steal a horse out from under a nobleman without the nobleman knowing it for two days.” (Lord of Chaos, Chapter 22)
"You chase them off before they steal too much—they'll snap up children if you don't look sharp; raise them as their own—maybe you add a kick to speed them, but you don't do this. Who would?" (Vanin on murdered Tuatha'an; Lord of Chaos, Chapter 22)
"'Bloody well have,' Vanin said, then unabashedly scratched himself. Good man, Vanin. Mat smiled. Treated all people the same, Vanin did. Aes Sedai and all." (Mat watches Vanin talk with Joline Sedai; The Gathering Storm, Chapter 20)