Faile ni Bashere t'Aybara
From Tar Valon Library
fah-Eel nih bah-SHEER ti-ay-BAHR-ah ; suggested
Lady Faile ni Bashere t'Aybara grew up in the Saldaean court houses where she is a member of high nobility. Her father, Lord Davram Bashere, is the Marshal-General for the Saldaean Army, and is also the uncle of Queen Tenobia. Her mother, Lady Deira Bashere, named her Zarine: a name suited to a woman who relaxes and lets her noble husband take care of everything.
Faile is tall and slender with black hair and dark tilted eyes. She has a bold nose that often gives her the look of a falcon (TDR, Ch. 33).
After leaving Saldaea Faile is an independent woman, and takes the name of Mandarb, blade in the Old Tongue before travelling to Illian to become a Hunter for the Horn (TDR, Ch. 35). When she first meets Perrin Aybara in Falme, she declares that she is a hunter for the horn and decides that his group is the one she will travel with to find the Horn. She discovers that Lan’s horse is named Mandarb, so opts for the name Faile, meaning falcon, in order to impress Perrin. She travels with Perrin to Emond's Field, after the Whitecloaks capture Mat Cauthon’s family, and kill Perrin’s. Faile provides constant support during that time, and romance between the two blossomes. They are married after their town is well defended against a large Trolloc invasion, and both are now thought of by the Two Rivers people as their Lord and Lady. After her capture by the Shaido, she meets Rolan in Malden. After Rolan is killed, and she is rescued by Perrin, she has to divide her attentions between taking care of Masema, dealing with her feelings for Rolan, and convincing Perrin that nothing happened to her while she was in Malden
Relationships with Other Characters
Strengths and Weaknesses
Faile has always shown that she can assess each situation clearly, and is more than capable of teaching Perrin the ways of being a Lord in his home town of Emond’s Field.
She is also known for her secrecy. She has many eyes and ears across Cairhien, who report information to her when she needs it. These people call themselves Cha Faile, the Falcon’s Talon, and they are loyal to her alone.
Faile has proven that she lies in many situations to gain advantage. She has given a false name twice, and has lied about her background to Perrin Aybara so she wouldn't seem as important as she is. She has also been willing to put herself in compromising positions in order to gain advantages over others (ACoS, Ch. 5).
Visions and Prophecies
A viewing by Min Farshaw states that Perrin Aybara will have a hawk and a falcon in his life. Her viewing becomes true when Faile marries Perrin, and it is revealed that Berelain sur Paendrag is the hawk due to her Royal crest.
- Zarine sees Perrin in Remen (TDR, Ch. 33).
- Zarine follows the group and jumps aboard the Snow Goose. She calls herself "Faile" (TDR, Ch. 35).
- They arrive at Illian, and Faile joins Moiraine, Lan, Perrin and Loial (TDR, Ch. 41).
- Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, Loial and Faile arrive in Tear (TDR, Ch. 50).
- Faile finds herself in Tel’aran’rhiod after encountering a trap in Loial’s room (TDR, Ch. 53).
- Perrin frees Faile after being attacked by falcons. They realise their feelings for each other after Perrin wakes up (TDR, Ch. 55).
- Faile becomes friends with Bain and Chiad (TSR, Ch. 2).
- Faile and Perrin are attacked by Perrin’s axe (TSR, Ch. 2).
- Faile gets angry at Perrin for looking at Berelain in a certain way (TSR, Ch. 3).
- Faile tricks Loial into promising to take her through the Ways so she can accompany Perrin (TSR, Ch. 16).
- Loial leads Perrin, Faile, Gaul, Bain and Chiad through the Ways to the site of ancient Manetheren. They are attacked by Trollocs, a Fade, and then the Black Wind (TSR, Ch. 27).
- After three days travel, they near Emond's Field. Perrin and Gaul go to the Winespring Inn followed by Faile, Bain and Chiad. Perrin learns his family is dead (TSR, Ch. 29).
- Faile and others ride to scout the Whitecloak encampment at Watch Hill. Halfway there, they stop at Jac al'Seen's place (TSR, Ch. 32).
- Perrin leads his growing party to Watch Hill. Perrin, Faile, and the Aiel rescue the Whitecloaks' prisoners (TSR, Ch. 33).
- Faile accompanies Lord Luc to Perrin's camp. She then accompanies him hunting Trollocs and is caught in the ambush (TSR, Ch. 40).
- Faile and others enter a Tinker camp after a battle with Trollocs (TSR, Ch. 41).
- Faile follows Perrin and Verin into the Winespring Inn. She helps hold him down while Alanna Heals him (TSR, Ch. 43).
- Faile tells Perrin that Loial and Gaul went to the Waygate. He wants to go after them, but Faile wants him to remain in bed to heal. They compromise with him riding around the village (TSR, Ch. 44).
- Faile accompanies Perrin as he busily organizes (TSR, Ch. 45).
- Perrin asks Faile to go for help. The price of her agreement is a wedding, and they are married. She and Bain ride north (TSR, Ch. 46).
- Bain and Faile return with an army from Watch Hill that helps win the battle of Emond's Field (TSR, Ch. 47).
- Faile figures out that Alanna wants to bond Perrin and threatens to kill her if she does (LoC, Ch. 11).
- Faile holds court in her and Perrin's manor house. She dispenses fair justice. She goes to talk with Perrin and he tells her he must go to Rand. She intends to accompany him (LoC, Prologue).
- Perrin and Faile arrive in Caemlyn with an army of Two Rivers men. They meet with Rand in the Royal Palace (LoC, Ch. 45).
- Faile meets with her mother, Deira Bashere, then with Davram Bashere and Perrin. Her parents agree to accept Perrin as their son-in-law (LoC, Ch. 46).
- Perrin and Faile accompany Rand when he Travels from Caemlyn to Cairhien (LoC, Ch. 49).
- Faile traps Loial into playing endless games of stones when Perrin is around (LoC, Ch. 51).
- Faile gives Rand's sword to Perrin to take with him in the rescue attempt (LoC, Ch. 54).
- She has taken a position as one of Colavaere's attendants to gain information. She accuses Colavaere of treason and murder. After Colavaere faints she suggests killing her (ACoS, Ch. 5).
- Faile accompanies Perrin to Ghealdan (ACoS, Ch. 5).
- Faile offers to make Maighdin and her group servants. Late that night she meets with Cha Faile members to hear the report on their secret scouting in Bethal (TPoD, Ch. 8).
- Faile sends Basel Gill and some Cha Faile members into Bethal ostensibly to get supplies (TPoD, Ch. 9).
- Faile, and others are captured by Sevanna's Shaido (TPoD, Ch. 30).
- Faile and the others are marched, then carried back to the Shaido camp (WH, Ch. 3).
- After Galina Heals their frostbite, Faile and the others march with the Shaido. Faile, Alliandre and Maighdin become separated from Arrela, Lacile, Bain and Chiad. Therava sets them to spy on Sevanna, then Galina sets them to retrieve Therava's binder (WH, Ch. 4).
- As gai'shain to the Sevanna, Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin and Dairaine all share a single tent. Faile is terrified when three ripples pass through reality. Theril brings her the binder he stole from Therava and she hides it in a building (KoD, Ch. 5).
- Faile and Alliandre are beaten because Sevanna's bath is not hot enough. Faile tells Galina she has the binder and, after a fight, they agree to meet the next morning (KoD, Ch. 26).
- Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin, Arrela and Lacile go into town. Faile retrieves the binder and they meet Galina. She insists they go into the basement of a burned out house. Galina leaves with the binder and collapses the stairway. Maighdin channels to signal for help (KoD, Ch. 28).
- Rolan, Jhoradin and Kinhuin free Faile, Arrela, Lacile, Alliandre and Maighdin from the rubble. Perrin sees Rolan leading Faile and kills him with his hammer. Faile stabs Kinhuin in the back. After the battle, Perrin introduces Faile and Alliandre to Banner-General Tylee Khirgan (KoD, Ch. 30).
- Faile tracks down and kills Masema (TGS, Prologue).
- Perrin tells her he doesn't care what she did to survive, but she doesn't tell him as it would hurt him to know he killed the man who protected her (TGS, Ch. 21).
- After Perrin falls asleep, she joins Arrela, Lacile and Alliandre to hold a ceremony for the Mera'din who died protecting them (TGS, Ch. 21).
- Faile tells Perrin that the time apart was good for them, but shows jealousy regarding the rumors about Berelain bedding Perrin. In Ghealdan, they find a deserted village radiating the Blight and constructed with material outside Ghealdan. (ToM, Ch. 2).
- Faile tells Perrin to only send away those who wish to go and to send messengers to Rand for more Asha'man. She adds a member of Cha Faile to a group of scouts going to Cairhein and argues for Balwer to be included in the group (ToM, Ch. 6).
- Faile surveys camp and reviews the quartermaster's ledgers. She celebrates their one year anniversary by listening to him speak about wolves and sharing some information about her captivity (ToM, Ch. 16).
- Faile threatens to duel Berelain to the death in a knife fight. Berelain suggests they pretend to be friends to douse the rumors (ToM, Ch. 18).
- Faile is angry about "Maighdin" being Morgase and is worried about the trial. She plans to make use of Berelain's expression toward Galad (ToM, Ch. 28).
- A bubble of evil causes her belt knife to attack. Sulin breaks it on a rock. She helps Berelain drive her knife in the ground and threw dirt at two of the three knives that Alliandre had. She orders the Maidens to tell everyone about the trick with the dirt (ToM, Ch. 29).
- Faile states that Galad must be reasonable if he wants to unite the Whitecloaks with Aes Sedai for the Last Battle. She confirms an escape plan with Dannil Lewin for Perrin should the trial turn to fighting (ToM, Ch. 30).
- Faile discerns that the Maidens are scouting to determine who is readying an attack on both groups. She reminds Perrin of his duties to prevent him from agreeing to accept punishment. She asks and is denied permission to speak at the trial (ToM, Ch. 34).
- Faile yells at Perrin for submitting to the Whitecloaks (ToM, Ch. 35).
- Faile tells Perrin to not send away Berelain and Alliandre. She watches Perrin forge his hammer and agrees to intervene if Perrin does try to ambush the Whitecloaks. She sees Trollocs emerge to attack the Whitecloaks (ToM, Ch. 40).
- Faile agrees to retreat to the rear guard if Perrin explains how he knew about the ambush. She thanks and kisses him for not letting the Trollocs have the Whitecloaks (ToM, Ch. 41).
- Faile is cutting bandages and expresses pity for Berelain for only seeing sport or politics in men (ToM, Ch. 43).
- Faile releases Lamgwin and Breane to serve Morgase and accepts Morgase's offer to speak with Elayne on their behalf. She scolds Perrin for his brevity in conducting the wedding ceremony of Morgase and Tallanvor (ToM, Ch. 44).
- Faile, along with Alliandre, Morgase, and Perrin adeptly negotiate with Elayne for Perrin to become Steward of the Two Rivers. She asks about Rand and discovers where he plans to be (ToM, Ch. 47).
- Faile travels to the Field of Merrilor (ToM, Ch. 53).
"Farmboy! Perhaps I will call myself Faile. My father used to call me that, when I was little. It means 'falcon.' "
"Loial does not know everything. He isn't very old for an Ogier."
"I'll not have you bleeding to death on me. That would be just like you, to die and leave me the work of burying you. You have no consideration. Hold still."
"You addle-brained lummox! You don't have to do any such crackpate thing! You goose-brain! If you try it, I'll hang you myself!"
"My husband, you have the courage of three men. And the sense of a child on leading strings. Why is it that as a man’s courage goes up, his sense goes down?"
"The worst sin a general can commit, worse than blundering, worse than losing, worse than anything, is to desert the men who depend on him. Men fight when they should run, and fools fight when they should run. But I had no need to say it twice."
"a husband needs to know a wife is jealous otherwise he won't realise how much she cares for him" (The Gathering Storm, Chapter 21).
"A polished sword reflects the truth" (ToM, Ch. 16).
"The hawk is better at hunting the rabbit. But, you see, the falcon is better at hunting the hawk" (ToM, Ch. 44).