From Tar Valon Library
Cha Faile, The Falcon's tongue in the Old Tongue is one of the societies formed by young Cairhienin and Tairen nobles, in imitation of the Aiel Warrior Societies. At first it is primarily young women, but they are soon joined by men (LoC, Ch. 17). As with the other societies, they have taken Aiel ways and terms and modified them to better suit their ways. They are led by Selande Darengil (ACoS, Ch. 4), who, though a member of a minor family, commands them with little argument (TPoD, Ch. 8). Though imitating Aiel ways, they do not take up the spear, instead the Sword, as though they want to be Maidens of the Sword (LoC, Ch. 17). Rhuarc and the other Aiel are offended by them claiming to follow Ji'e'toh and want Rand to stop it, but Berelain faces them down as since they started, none has been killed in a duel (LoC, Ch. 17). The Aiel eventually adjust and not long after are split between those who want to help and those who want to put a stop to the whole thing (ACoS, Ch. 4). To try and help them, and keep them out of trouble, Faile takes them into her service and they adopt the name Cha Faile, recognising her as their leader above Selande (ACoS, Ch. 27; TPoD, Ch. 8)
They take to wearing mostly dark coats and snug breeches much like Min's, their hair cut short, gathered in a kind of tail that to the shoulders, tied with a dark ribbon. It is likely that coat colour signifies rank as Selande wears green and Camaille, who was her second, also deviates, wearing a bright blue coat (ACoS, Ch. 4).
- After the Aiel take the city, many of the young nobles start imitating Aiel ways (LoC, Ch. 17)
- Rhuarc forces Cairhienin who defied his ban on duelling to sit naked in the sun under guard to give them a feel for what being gai'shain truly entails (LoC, Ch. 50).
- After Dumai's Wells, they have formed societies, one of which Selande leads (ACoS, Ch. 4).
- Tairens have joined the societies, to Perrin's surprise (ACoS, Ch. 6).
- They go with Perrin to Ghealdan, having been taken under Faile's wing. At this stage, there are around two dozen (ACoS, Ch. 27).
- They take to calling themselves Cha Faile, though try to keep this to themselves (TPoD, Ch. 8).
- In Ghealdan, they act as spies and scouts for Faile (TPoD, Ch. 8).
- When Faile is kidnapped, the male members of Cha Faile are killed, but Lacile and Arrela survive and are made gai'shain with her
- After Faile is kidnapped, they swear to server Perrin until she is free (WH, Ch. 6).
- They continue to act as spies for Perrin, discovering that Masuri and Annoura have been visiting Masema (CoT, Ch. 5).
- Perrin decides to ask Medore Damara to try and befriend Berelain and to find other members of Cha Faile to spend time amongst the Aiel (CoT, Ch. 5).
- Perrin thinks that Haviar and Nerion should perhaps keep permanently away from Masema's mobs, but Balwer says that they haven't been corrupted and are still safe to keep spying (KoD, Ch. 29).
- Though not mentioned, the rest of Cha Faile presumably played some role in the attack on Malden (KoD, Ch. 29)
Members of Cha Faile
- Main article: Cha Faile Character List
"Some of the Cairhienin women are quite impressed with the Maidens, They want to be Maidens. Only,of the sword, I suppose, not the spear. These are daughters of noble Houses, I let them stay here because their parents would not allow this. There are nearly a dozen schools in the city now that will teach the sword to women, but many need to sneak away to attend. It is not only women, of course. The younger Cairhienin in general seem very impressed with the Aiel They are adopting ji'e'toh." (Lord of Chaos, Chapter 17).
"We are ready to dance the blades for you, my Lord Dragon." (Selande, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 4).
"We live to serve our Lady Faile." (The Path of Daggers, Chapter 8).