From Tar Valon Library
Author: Leora Oldessroth
Gray Men are also called the Soulless as a Darkfriend gives up his or her soul to the Dark One to become a Gray Man (TDR, Ch. 15). Most Gray Men are indeed men but a few are women (TDR, Ch. 15). They do not dream (TDR, Ch. 36) and unlike other Shadowspawn, Warders and Aes Sedai cannot sense Gray Men; Perrin can smell a Gray Man (TDR, Ch. 42; Ch. 43).
They appear like normal human beings but you can look right at them and not notice them at all (TDR, Ch. 15).
Uses, Purposes and Talents
Gray Men are used as assassins (TDR, Ch. 15).
Appearances in the Series
- Ingtar lets a Gray Man into Fal Dara; the Gray Man attempts to kill Rand but misses, but wounds Siuan Sanche and kills another man instead (TGH, Ch. 9, Ch. 46).
- A Gray Man attempts to kill Egwene and/or Nynaeve in the White Tower. Slayer kills the Gray Man before he can kill the girls (TDR, Ch. 15; WH, Ch. 22).
- Sheriam finds another Gray Man, a female, lying dead in her bed without a mark on her (TDR, Ch. 29).
- Six Gray Men try to kill Perrin, Moiraine, Lan and Faile in Illian. Perrin can smell them and alerts the others in time. They manage to kill the Gray Men (TDR, Ch. 42; Ch. 43).
- A Gray Man attacks Rand while he is talking to Lanfear; he is one of four who managed to get by Rand's Aiel guard. Rand manages to sense the Gray Man and kill him. Lanfear denies sending the Gray Man (TSR, Ch. 9; Ch. 10).
- A Gray Man also attacks Mat (TSR, Ch. 13).