From Tar Valon Library
Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Guaire Amalasan was one of the most powerful false Dragons that could channel. In history he came to be known as the Second Dragon.
At the beginning of his rise he was a young, educated man in his twenties with deep-set eyes and a mesmeric gaze.
Even today, after a thousand years, the name of this false Dragon is enough to send shivers through the population. After Logain Ablar proclaimed himself the Dragon Reborn in 997 NE everyone was afraid that a "new Guaire Amalasan" might rock the world to its foundations.
His banner was the ancient Aes Sedai symbol on a field of blue (TWoRJTWoT)
- Early in FY 939 he proclaimed himself the Dragon Reborn and his followers the Children of the Dragon in Darmovan.
- Within half a year Darmovan fell under his banner and during the next year Balasun and Elan Dapor did as well. He continued his conquests during the following three years, while tens of thousands began to join behind him.
- In spring FY 940 Artur Hawkwing sent an army against him from Shandalle and a year later every nations had done the same, starting the War of the Second Dragon.
- By the time of FY 943 his army consisted of a 26,000-strong cavalry and a 140,000-strong infantry, and Amalasan had added Dhowlan, Esandara, Farashelle, Fergansea, Kharendor, Moreina, Nerevan and Shiota to his occupied nations.
- When he wanted to attack Tova in the same year, his armies collided with the much smaller ones of Artur Hawkwing. Over the following two days both forces suffered heavy losses, but in the end Amalasan was captured and brought to Tar Valon.
- Three days later Sawyn Maculhene started from Khodomar with some 5000 followers, while Elinde Motheneos set out from northern Esandara with a larger force to rescue Amalasan from the hands of Aes Sedai before they could execute him.
- Amalasan was gentled after days of sitting in judgment on him. Maculhene and Motheneos were both killed and their armies fell apart.
(Reference: "The World of Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time").
- He possessed the basic knowledge of the Prophecies of the Dragon (TWoRJtWoT).
- He is said to be one of the greatest generals of his time, perhaps second only to Artur Hawkwing himself (TWoRJtWoT; WH, Ch. 24).
- He besieged the Stone of Tear in Moreina, but thirty Aes Sedai who had taken refuge there resisted his force (TWoRJtWoT).
- When six Aes Sedai tried to take him, he killed one and stilled two more (LoC, Ch. 54).
- His armies had reached and attacked the White Tower, after Amalasan was taken (TDR, Ch. 22; LoC, Ch. 8; ACoS, Ch. 11).
- Altogether, more than 40,000 of his followers died (TWoRJtWoT).
- Ishamael tells Rand, Mat and Perrin in their dreams they are going to be used by the Amyrlin Seat just like the false Dragons of history, including Guaire Amalasan, were used (TEotW, Ch. 14).
- Rand, Mat and Perrin tell of their dreams and mention Guaire Amalasan (TEotW, Ch. 15; Ch. 42; Ch. 52).
- Rand tells Siuan that he is not going to be leashed like Amalasan and the other false Dragons (TGH, Ch. 8).
- Siuan orders Taim to be gentled immediately once he is captured no matter what the Tower Law states, because she does not want to risk another Guaire Amalasan (TSR, Ch. 17).
- As Leane, Logain, Min and Siuan are on the run to Salidar, Logain wanted to take on the name "Guaire" as a disguise (TFoH, Ch. 1).
"More than a thousand years ago, Guaire Amalasan had named himself the Dragon Reborn, a false Dragon who could channel. Amalasan had conquered more land than al'Thor now held, before a young king named Artur Paendrag Tanreall took the field against him and began his own climb to empire." (Niall; Lord of Chaos, Prologue)