From Tar Valon Library
Masema Dagar was a Shienaran who Rand, Mat and Perrin meet in Fal Dara and who accompanies them when they follow Fain and the Horn. He had previously served in the Eastern Marches and does not like Aiel, so is cold and unfriendly towards Rand until he proclaims himself over Falme (TGH, Ch. 10; Ch. 49). He has sunken eyes and a scar on his cheek and initially has the Shienaran soldiers top knot (TSR, Ch. 6) but shaves his head completely when he takes the name of the Prophet (TFoH, Ch. 39). He believes that people who oppose or fail him are darkfriends (TGS, Prologue). If some merchant hadn't given him her house, he'd be in a stable, or one of those huts outside the city. Even his food comes as a gift. They used to bring him dishes fit for a king, until they learned he just gave away everything but a little bread, and soup or stew. He hardly drinks wine, now. (TFoH, Ch. 39). He drank only water, and wherever he went, he hired a poor widow and ate the food she prepared, fair or foul, without complaint. Masema disapproved of grubbing for money, but he was willing to accept the accommodations of those who did (TPoD, Ch. 30). He slipped soldiers enough coin to live on so they stayed close to him (TFoH, Ch. 38). He was as bad as the Whitecloaks when it comes to finding a Darkfriend under every rock (TFoH, Ch. 38). Masema thinks the White Tower will try to control Rand. Uno & Ragan escort Nynaeve to the back of where Masema is staying to avoid the crowds hoping to catch a glimpse of him at a window. They soundlessly surrender their weapons before being allowed to approach Masema. Masema has considered banning dresses that distract men's eyes, and minds. He declares that taverns and places that sell strong drink, and all places that would take the minds of people from that perfect contemplation be closed and burned to the ground (TFoH, Ch. 39). He has hanged nobles, fine lords and ladies (TPoD, Ch. 7) and torn down inns (TPoD, Ch. 9). He had destroyed armies larger than Perrin's (TPoD, Ch. 10).Balwer cautioned Perrin about the dangers of using Masema's name or calling Rand anything but the Lord Dragon Reborn. Masema calls himself simply the Prophet of the Lord Dragon, may the Light illumine him and the world come to kneel before him. He is the Light made flesh (TPoD, Ch. 30). Perrin smells a strange fever on Masema's guards, a reflection of the madness in Masema (WH, Ch. 1). He decides to stay with Perrin after Faile is kidnapped by the Shaido (WH, Ch. 6). After his mobs were broken by the Shaido (KoD, Ch. 30), he was killed by Faile (TGS, Prologue). His decayed body is later discovered by Perrin (TGS, Ch. 2).
- He served three years in the Eastern Marches at Ankor Dail, against the Aiel (TGH, Ch. 10).
- He is in Fal Dara and is one of those who does not accept Rand (TGH, Ch. 3).
- He is one of the soldiers who go south under Ingtar (TGH, Ch. 10).
- He goes through the Portal Stone to Toman Head with the others and leaves with tears streaming down his face (TGH, Ch. 37}).
- He proclaims allegiance to Rand after seeing him fight Ba'alzamon (TGH, Ch. 49).
- Over the winter, he becomes ever more fervent in his support of Rand (TDR, Ch. 5).
- When Rand leaves them to go to Tear, he decides he must also go to spread the word of the Dragon's rebirth (TDR, Ch. 6)
- He begins preaching in Ghealdan about the coming of the Dragon to save us, and we all have to follow, and that even the beasts will fight for the Dragon (TDR, Ch. 34).
- He speaks to a crowd of nearly ten thousand, proclaiming the return of the Dragon. The speech was followed by a battle with soldiers trying to disperse them, and the soldiers apparently got the worst of it (TSR, Ch. 47).
- Alliandre is the fourth to sit on the Light Blessed Throne since Masema came to Ghealdan in half a year. Johanin wore the crown when Masema began attracting a few crowds; he did nothing as the crowds grew and his nobles told him he had to put an end to it. He died in a hunting accident. Elizelle pitched battle and it was the army that was chased off. She took poison. Teresia lasted ten days and sent two thousand soldiers against ten thousand folk who had gathered to hear Masema. Her soldiers were routed and she married a commoner, which abdicated any claim to the throne. Alliandre began calling on Masema (TFoH, Ch. 39).
- He declares to Queen Alliandre that a man who steals will have his right hand cut off. A man who interferes with a woman, or insults her honor, or commits murder will be hung. A woman who steals or commits murder will be flogged. If any accuses and finds twelve who will agree, it will be done. Let it be so (TFoH, Ch. 39).
- He meets with Alliandre, Queen of Ghealdan, and she yields her jewelry to him at his request (TFoH, Ch. 39).
- He called for an axe and a chopping block for a woman who said "this Rand al'Thor" in Masema's hearing. She groveled and was hung by her wrists from the back of her own coach. Then she was strapped the length of the village. Her own retainers watched it. She thanked Masema for his mercy (TFoH, Ch. 39).
- He orders his mobs to secure a ship for Nynaeve and Elayne, leading to a riot with the Whitecloaks (TFoH, Ch. 47).
- He ordered his people to take Amadicia with fire and swords (TFoH, Ch. 47).
- Rand acknowledges Masema as the Prophet and counts on the Dragonsworn under Masema in Ghealdan and maybe Amadicia in his plan for the Last Battle (LoC, Ch. 5)
- Rand sends Perrin to bring Masema and his followers to him (ACoS, Ch. 27).
- Edarra and the other Wise Ones saw Masema as a possible enemy to be ambushed before he could set his own trap (TPoD, Ch. 7).
- Six Wise Ones, three dreamwalkers, Seonid and Masuri advise Perrin that Masema Dagar is a danger and must die (TPoD, Ch. 9).
- Perrin meets with him and Masema is reluctant to go to Rand and refuses to use the Power (TPoD, Ch. 30).
- He meets with the Seanchan (TPoD, Ch. 30).
- Despite hating Aes Sedai, he meets with Annoura and Masuri behind Perrin's back (WH, Ch. 6)
- He makes deals with the Whitecloaks (CoT, Ch. 5).
- Santes steals a document signed by Suroth, commanding anyone who sees it to give the bearer whatever aid they require, from Masema (CoT, Ch. 10)
- He brings his mob to Perrin outside of Malden (KoD, Ch. 29).
- His mob is mostly broken by the Shaido, but he survives and flees (KoD, Ch. 30).
- Faile hunts him down and kills him (TGS, Prologue).
"A sign to confirm our faith. Even wolves came to fight for the Dragon Reborn. In the Last Battle, the Lord Dragon will summon even the beasts of the forest to fight at our sides. It is a sign for us to go forth. Only Darkfriends will fail to join us (The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 5).
"Masema," (Perrin) said carefully, "whatever the Lord Dragon did, it was according to his plan. The Lord Dragon would not abandon us." "Yes. Yes, I see that, now. He has gone out alone to spread the word of his coming. We must spread the word, too. Yes." (TDR, Ch. 6).
(To Nynaeve) "There is no way to the Light save through the Lord Dragon. You will see the way and the truth in the end, for you have seen the Lord Dragon, and only those whose souls are swallowed in the Shadow can see and not believe. You are not such. You will believe...You, woman. Are you ready to come to the Light of the Lord Dragon, abandoning sin and flesh?(TFoH, Ch. 39).
"The Prophet of the Lord Dragon, blessed be his name in the Light, has destroyed greater armies by far than your tag end. You may kill us, but we will be avenged when the Prophet spills your blood on the ground. None of you will survive us long. He will triumph in fire and in blood" (TPoD, Ch. 10).
"The Dragon had appeared to him the night before the attack. Appeared in full glory! A figure of light, glowing in the air in shimmering robes. Kill Perrin Aybara! the Dragon had commanded. Kill him!" (The Gathering Storm, Prologue).