From Tar Valon Library
Daved Hanlon is also known as Doilin Mellar.
A Darkfriend, Hanlon was part of Gaebril's White Lions but is currently taking orders from Moghedien and Lady Shiaine (Mili Skane) in Caemlyn. He works his way into Elayne's bodyguard (WH, Ch. 10), but she soon begins to distrust him (CoT, Ch. 10). He is taken prisoner with the Black Ajah outside Caemlyn (KoD, Ch. 33), but later escapes (ToM, Ch. 23).
He is described as hatchet-faced (ACoS, Ch. 35; WH, Ch. 26) and having a face like an axe (WH, Ch. 9) along with dark, unblinking eyes (WH, Ch. 26). "Doilin Mellar... a coldhearted fellow, though he smiles a lot. Mainly at women. He pinches serving girls, and he's tumbled three in four days that I know of- he likes to talk about his 'conquests'- but he hasn't pressed anyone who's said no. He claims to have been a merchant's guard and then a mercenary, and now a Hunter for the Horn, and he certainly has the skills." (This passage needs a reference) Elayne recalls him as a wiry man with a sharp face (WH, Ch. 10). "A narrow face... yet he moved with a swordsman's lithe grace that spoke of physical strength" (CoT, Ch. 11). He is not bulky, and little taller than the average run of men (CoT, Ch. 15).
- Hanlon is seen by Min in the rebel camp of Toram Riatin, Caraline Damodred, and Darlin Sisnera - Min sees "bruised hues so dark they seemed almost black" around him, and warns Caraline not to trust him (ACoS, Ch. 35).
- Lord Dobraine reports that Hanlon has deserted Toram Riatan after Rand's visit to the rebel camp (TPoD, Ch. 27).
- Reports to Lady Shiaine at The Red Bull inn in Caemlyn to receive orders, witnesses the execution of Jaichim Carridin, and is offered a chance at "a queen," by Shiaine (TPoD, Ch. 28).
- Mellar runs into the room when Elayne is drugged at her midday tea with Dyelin and kills the three would-be assassins who were in the room (WH, Ch. 9), "the second by spearing him with his sword from across the width of the room like somebody in a bloody gleeman's tale" (WH, Ch. 10).
- Mellar comes to visit Shiaine as she is conversing with members of the Black Ajah to tell her that he has been promoted to the Captain of Elayne's personal guard (WH, Ch. 10).
- Mellar reports in to tell Elayne that the Chief Clerk is waiting to see her and reports on the recruiting for her personal bodyguard. He offers to find 100 men for her bodyguard, but she refuses them and has him show Halwin Norry in, thanking him again for saving her life (WH, Ch. 26).
- Palace gossip has Mellar listed as the lead choice for the father of Elayne's babies, which she encourages in order to protect Rand, herself, and the children (WH, Ch. 26).
- Mellar "begs leave to be left behind to be about his duties" when Elayne goes off to meet with the rulers of the Borderlands in Braem Wood (WH, Ch. 27).
- Mellar meets up with Elayne, Birgitte, Aviendha, Sareitha, Careane, Merilille, and Vandene, and Birgitte and Sareitha report on a skirmish he'd led outside the Far Madding gate, rescuing eighty of Lord Luan's men. When he brags about it to Elayne, she questions his knowledge of the identity of the men and the wisdom of bringing them into the city since she has not yet received Lord Luan's backing (CoT, Ch. 11).
- Hanlon goes through the city to report to Shiaine and kills someone who had been following him, but he is unable to identify the person, so he takes the man's money to make it look like a robbery. When he arrives, he talks with Falion for a while before reporting to Shiaine. He's then ordered to make more of an effort in getting the grain warehouses burned down, as well as getting some of the sul'dam free so that they can free others (CoT, Ch. 11).
- Elayne reprimands him for not training the men she told him to (KoD, Ch. 16).
- Hark reports that he followed Hanlon to a house where he saw two Aes Sedai. Egwene orders his arrest (KoD, Ch. 31).
- He stabs Elayne, nearly killing her, but forces Chesmal to Heal her as he had been promised her (ToM, Ch. 23).
- He kills Eldrith and Temaile so that they won't be recaptured, but manages to escape (ToM, Ch. 23).
- He leads a group of mercenaries who don't fight, but pick through the bodies of the fallen for loot (AMoL, Ch. 37).
- They disguise themselves at refugees to get close to Elayne and kill her guard (AMoL, Ch. 37)
- He kills Birgitte, beheading her. He wears one of the Foxhead Medallion copies, so can't be harmed by saidar (AMoL, Ch. 37).
- He intends to cut out Elayne's children to send to Shayol Ghul, then to rape and murder her (AMoL, Ch. 37)
- He is killed by Birgitte after the Horn of Valere summons her back, with an arrow through the chest and one through the head (AMoL, Ch. 37).
Hanlon is in Toram Riatin's employ in the rebel camp (ACoS, Ch. 35).
Hanlon is sent to Shiaine by Moghedien. He is slightly startled and impressed by Shiaine's execution of Carridin and domination of Falion (TPoD, Ch. 28).
Hanlon acts very casual and arrogant with Elayne as he reports the status of recruiting for her personal guard. When she sends him out to send Norry in, she touches his arm and smiles at him and thanks him again for saving her (WH, Ch. 26).
Mellar is praised by Sareitha, but looked on with open dislike by Aviendha, Birgitte, Merillile, Careane, and Vandene (CoT, Ch. 11).
When Hanlon arrives to report to Shiaine, he starts to be crude, but when Falion tells him where everyone is, he stops immediately and sits with her to exchange information (CoT, Ch. 15).
If anything, Mellar's expression grew more smug. "I didn't go by banners, my Queen. Anyone can carry a banner. I recognized Jurad Accan through my looking glass. Accan is Luan's man to his toenails. Once I knew that?" He made a dismissive gesture in a flurry of lace. "The rest was no more than taking candy from a baby." (To Elayne; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 11)
"If Shiaine thinks I'm not obeying orders, it bloody well is my business, and you ought to see it that way, too, if you have two bloody thoughts to rub together." (To Falion; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 15)