From Tar Valon Library
|Location||Cincinnati, Ohio, USA|
|Join Date||January 9, 2002|
|Bonded to||Eleyan al'Landerin|
|Link to Forum Profile|
Valorian Edoras (Ben) is bonded to Eleyan al'Landerin, the former Amyrlin, and currently serves in several staff positions, including being primarily responsible for the site's design, user interface and content management software.
- Joined TarValon.Net: January 9, 2002
- Joined Tower: January 9, 2002
- Raised Soldier: April 6, 2002
- Raised Gaidin: April 6, 2002
- Web developer and graphic designer: February 2002 - present
- Company Commander of Val'Cueran: July 16, 2002 - September 16, 2004.
- Tar Valon Radio host and programmer: September 2007 - Unknown.
- Company Commander of Val'Cueran: June 13, 2009 - January 1, 2011.
- Merit Badge Focus Group: July 1, 2010 - March 15, 2011
- Warder Councillor: January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2008
- Library Editor
Other Tower Relationships
- In a relationship with Serinia Edoras.
Official Event Attendance
- Anniversary Party 2002 - Norman, Oklahoma, USA
- Dragon*Con 2002 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2002 - Portland, Oregon, USA
- Anniversary Party 2007 - Winter Park, Colorado, USA
- Dragon*Con 2007 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2007 - Cruise from Los Angeles, California, USA to Ensenada, Mexico
- Anniversary Party 2008 - Estes Park, Colorado, USA
- Dragon*Con 2008 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2008 - Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida, USA
- Anniversary Party 2009 - Millersylvania, Washington, USA
- JordanCon 2009 - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2009 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2009 - Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- Anniversary Party 2010 - Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, USA
- Winter Euro Party 2010 - Much Menlock, Shropshire, UK
- JordanCon 2010 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2010 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2010 - Washington, DC, USA
- Anniversary Party 2012 - Estes Park, Colorado, USA
- JordanCon 2012 - Roswell, Georgia, USA
- Dragon*Con 2012 - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Fall Ball 2012 - New York City, New York, USA
Senior Member Interview
Valorian Edoras, Senior Member Interview, April 18, 2010
- Why did you choose Val'Cueran?
Val'Cueran chose me as much as I chose it. I'd been a member for years before the Companies were created, and there was never any question or conscious choice - I was Val'Cueran from its conception, and I identify very strongly with its principles and personality types, even as I've helped to direct and form them.
- How was your time as Citizen/Recruit/Soldier?
Citizens, again, were way after my introduction to the Tower. I'm a special case, I suppose, being one of very few people who never really held any of the intervening ranks - I was raised to Gaidin (or Youngling, as it was called in those days) the same day I met other Tower members, Eleyan among them, for the first time, at 2nd Anni in Oklahoma City.
- What things do you do for TV.net?
I've held nearly every hat that a Gaidin can, in some way or another, though a number of positions have been created since that I haven't technically held. I've developed and designed the last four iterations of the website, holding the position of "Webmaster" (now Director of IT) for a few years; as of April 2010 I'm the only person to have held an HoA/CC position twice, currently in my second term as Company Commander of VC. I've been on various committees at events, designed logos and banners for dozens of things. I step in wherever I can help, which is usually on the web development/graphics side of things.
- How did you get to read the Series?
I was introduced to the books by some friends in high school. I don't remember the year exactly, but I think it was just before Lord of Chaos was released.
- To whom are you bonded, if you're bonded?
Eleyan al'Landerin, the Amyrlin Seat.
- Who is your mentee, if you have one?
I've had a few, but I can't recall their names as it's been years since my last one. I'm not very good at it. :)
- Who's your favorite character of the Series? Favorite Nation?
Mat Cauthon for sure. I've always been partial to the Odin/Norse mythos. Favorite nation... I'd have to say probably Cairhien, though that's probably more of an architectural bias.
- Have you ever attended any Real Life Functions? Did you like them if you did, and why? (Why do you think people should come to any future functions?)
Many, many, many events. I won't bother to list them, but I've been to every Anniversary Party and Dragon*Con since 2002, most of the Fall Ball events, and dozens of local gatherings. I like them, of course, and it's all about meeting and hanging out with everyone else who attends.
- What kind of music do you like?
I listen to a pretty wide variety. Lately I'm on sort of an electronic/pop kick - Sam Sparro, Peter Bjorn, MGMT, a few others. And I never tire of classic and British rock - The Who, Beatles, The Clash, Zeppelin. Because I play the piano, I also follow Tori Amos, Billy Joel, Ben Folds, The Fray, Mark Cohn, lots of others.
- What are your favorite movies?
Hrm... another tough one, since I have pretty broad tastes there. As far as directors go, I'm partial to the Coen brothers, Wachowskis, Kevin Smith, and smaller indie houses. To define it by way of example, check out: "Primer", "The Shawshank Redemption", "Bickford Shmeckler's Cool Ideas", "Children of Men", "A Serious Man". I could go on, but I won't.
- What job do you have?
I've been a web developer and IT project lead for a good 12 years now, at a variety of companies, in Tulsa, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and now Cincinnati. I very much enjoy my career (evidenced by the fact that I also do web development as a hobby/freelance).
- Do you have a pet?
Shannan and I have a cat, Andromeda, who we call Annie.
- What languages do you speak?
English and a smattering of Spanish.
- What profession did you want to have when you were a kid?
"Jet pilot" is the one that comes to mind, from when I was very young. By 10 or 11, though, I'd moved on to programming computers and learning my first computer languages, already creating little virtual worlds and graphics programs, so I guess that was a good indication of what I'd be doing two decades later.
- Egeanin or Suroth?
You've mistaken me for someone who has read the books recently. :P
- Shadar Logoth or Manetheren?
- Winter or summer?
- Board games or computer games?
- A short bio about yourself.
I'll just let the above suffice for now. :)
Trivia and Facts
- Within a few weeks of joining, he took on several graphics projects for the nascent Tower site, including a Flash intro that remains in use today. After meeting with Eleyan and several other then-admins at the First Anniversary Party, Valorian took on the responsibility of designing and constructing a new TarValon.net website, updating the look and feel. Since then
- Remains one of very few members to have never held the intermediate (Soldier/Accepted) rank; was raised from Recruit directly to Gaidin ("Youngling" at the time) in a real-life raising ceremony at the First Anniversary Party.
- Designed the current look and feel of the TarValon.net website and forums.
- Became the first two-term Company Commander upon being selected again on June 13, 2009.
- A digital art enthusiast, especially 3D rendering and animation, Valorian has created avatars for several Tower members: himself, Eleyan, Zhareen, Willow, and Emp Orer.
- Valorian took over Tar Valon Radio in 2007, changing its format from live Internet radio to a downloadable podcast, citing schedule accessibility and copyright concerns with the original format. The first podcast was released on October 3, 2007. Six more podcasts have been released since, all with Valorian as host and programmer.