From Tar Valon Library
Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Juilin Sandar is a Tairen thief-catcher, the equivalent of a Shienaran thief-taker, though Juilin finds this second term insulting (TDR, Ch. 49; TFoH, Ch. 8). He is supposedly the best thief-catcher in Tear (TDR, Ch. 48). He carries around a staff made of pale wood that is as tall as he is and not much thicker than his thumb (TDR, Ch. 49).
Juilin is a lean man who looks as if he were carved from aged wood. He is handsome with short black hair, dark, quick eyes and very white teeth. He usually wears a flat, conical hat and carries a sword-breaker with him (TDR, Ch. 49).
Relationships with other Characters
When Juilin first meets Nynaeve, he is attracted to her, even though she discourages this. Juilin accompanies Nynaeve and Elayne to many places (Tanchico, Salidar, Ebou Dar), and saves them several times (The Stone of Tear, Ronde Macura). While Nynaeve and Elayne sometimes treat him rather badly, he still sticks with them.
Juilin and Thom often do things together. The first time they met was when they accompanied Elayne and Nynaeve to Tanchico. After that, they seem to stick together, though this could be because they are the only two guys and therefore get to know each other well. However, this means that they also obviously trust each other.
Mat and Juilin first meet in "The Dragon Reborn" when they rescue Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve from the Stone of Tear. After that, they meet again on the way to Ebou Dar. When the Seanchan attack, both are left behind. Mat trusts Juilin and vice versa; Mat enlists Juilin's help in escaping Ebou Dar with the Aes Sedai, and Juilin trusts Mat with getting his precious Amathera away from the Seanchan. They may not be the best of friends, but they have been through a lot together.
Juilin first meets Amathera in Tanchico, when Elayne and Nynaeve rescue her from the Black Ajah, and finds her again in Ebou Dar, though she is now a Seanchan slave. Juilin falls in love with her, and helps her to escape Ebou Dar. Thera has been changed a lot by her captivity, and is very jumpy and nervous all of the time. Nevertheless, she trusts Juilin and spends most of her time with him.
- Juilin is forced by a form of Compulsion to tell Liandrin where Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne are (TDR, Ch. 51).
- Juilin helps Nynaeve and Elayne on their mission in Tanchico (TSR, Ch. 39; Ch. 46; Ch. 51; Ch. 52; Ch. 54; Ch. 55).
- While passing through Amadicia, Juilin, Thom, Nynaeve and Elayne end up traveling with and working for Valan Luca's Circus. Juilin performs with Elayne on the high rope (TFoH, Ch. 8; Ch. 9; Ch. 10; Ch. 13; Ch. 16; Ch. 17).
- After scouting around Amadicia with Thom, Juilin returns to Salidar, and then accompanies Nynaeve, Elayne, Thom and Mat to Ebou Dar (LoC, Ch. 8; Ch. 29; Ch. 44).
- Juilin and Thom spend their time in Ebou Dar trying to watch over Nynaeve and Elayne (ACoS, Ch. 14; Ch. 21; Ch. 28; Ch. 37).
- Juilin, Thom, Olver, Mat and the Redarms are left behind in Ebou Dar when the Seanchan attack. (ACoS, Ch. 39; WH, Ch. 17).
- Juilin helps Mat with his plan to escape Ebou Dar with Joline, Teslyn and Edesina (WH, Ch. 19; Ch. 28)
- When they leave Ebou Dar, Juilin also helps Amathera, former Panarch of Tarabon, to escape (WH, Ch. 30).
- Juilin tries to put aside his differences with Egeanin and Domon (KoD, Ch. 10).
- Juilin stays with Mat after the group separate from Luca's Menagerie (KoD, Ch. 25).
- When Teslyn, Joline and Edesina leave for Tar Valon, Juilin goes with them. They have told him they can find him a job (ToM, Ch. 17).
Quotes by Juilin
"Once, while Rand al'Thor was in Tear, I saw a tossed coin land on its edge five times in a row. We finally walked away and left it standing there on the table. I suppose anything can happen." (Juilin to Mat; Winter's Heart, Chapter 29)
"When I was young, a cutpurse put her knife in my ribs because I thought a pretty young girl wouldn't be as quick to stab as a man. I do not make that mistake anymore. I will behave as if these women are all Aes Sedai, and Black Ajah." (Juilin to Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene; The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 49)
"That is the trick of it; their minds made up worse than I ever could. I have seen a tough man break when I sent for a basket of figs and some mice. You have to be careful though. Some will confess anything, true or not, just to escape what they imagine." (Juilin to Nynaeve and Elayne; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 10)
"Tarabon must be terrible now for a woman not used to taking care of herself." (Julin to Mat, supposedly about Amathera; A Crown of Swords, Chapter 14)
"Leave those two in Jurador, and the Seanchan might stop with getting them back. It might slow them down, at least. You keep saying you're going to turn them loose sooner or later." (Juilin to Mat about Tuon and Selucia; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29)
Quotes about Juilin
"He'll tell you the moon is green and water white if he thinks it will bring him a kiss, but he lies less than most men about other things. He may be the most honest man ever born in the Maule." (Ailhuin Guenna to Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene; The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 49)