From Tar Valon Library
Author: Nairah Tarak
Bain is a Far Dareis Mai of the Black Rock sept of the Shaarad Aiel. She has fiery hair and dark blue eyes. She is taller than Chiad. She is first-sister to Chiad, Far Dareis Mai of Clan Goshien. It was hard for them to become first-sisters, as their clans are involved in a blood feud. She is contemptuous of Sevanna for using Maidens as a guard as Sevanna was never a Maiden (KoD, Ch. 5).
- Bain, Chiad, Aviendha, Jolien, and Dailin are among the last Aiel sent by the Wise Ones to hunt for He Who Comes With Dawn. Dailin is hurt, but the Maidens meet Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve and ask them to help. Later Egwene, Elayne, and Nynaeve are attacked, but Bain and Chiad come to help rescue them from the brigands and Fades (TDR, Ch. 39).
- Bain is in the Stone of Tear together with Chiad and the other Aiel. Mat tries to flirt with them and is annoyed that he can't manage to talk to one of them without the other (TDR, Ch. 56).
- Bain and Chiad become friends with Faile (as they spend time with Faile, they teach her some of the Maiden handtalk), and later agree to accompany her. They're going to the Two Rivers and Loial leads the party to the Waygate. He guides the party through the Ways and they come out through a Waygate from ancient Manetheren (TSR, Ch. 27).
- The party arrives at Emond's Field after three days of travel (TSR, Ch. 30). After Perrin has learned his family is dead, Marin al'Vere takes the party to the old sickhouse, where they meet Alanna and Verin (TSR, Ch. 31).
- Bain, Chiad, and Gaul help out in the Two Rivers. Together with Perrin and Faile, they rescue the Whitecloak's prisoners at Watch Hill (TSR, Ch. 33). They find a band of Trollocs and warn Perrin. It turns out to be an ambush (TSR, Ch. 40).
- Bain and Chiad report an imminent Trolloc attack and help with defenses (TSR, Ch. 44). Bain and Faile ride north to go for help and return with an army from Watch Hill that helps win the battle at Emond's Field. Bain, Chiad, Gaul, and Loial remain in the Two Rivers with Perrin and Faile (TSR, Ch. 56).
- Perrin and his band, including Bain, Chiad, and Gaul, arrive at Caemlyn (LoC, Ch. 45). They travel to Cairhien and accompany Rand and Min and the other Aiel to the Sun Palace (LoC, Ch. 49). Bain and Chiad stand guard outside the Grand Hall when Rand meets with the Aes Sedai. Galina tells them that Rand disappeared when the Aes Sedai leave with him in a chest (LoC, Ch. 51).
- Bain, Chiad, and Gaul accompany Perrin and Faile to Ghealdan. There Bain, Chiad, Faile, Alliandre, Maighdin, Arrela, and Lacile are captured by the Shaido and made gai'shain (TPoD, Ch. 30). Bain and Chiad follow meekly, as gai'shain should. Later they help Arrela and Lacile to escape, but they themselves will not break the code of honor and obligation, ji'e'toh (CoT, Ch. 9).
- Bain continues to teach Faile about Aiel ways (KoD, Ch. 5).
- Bain volunteers to divert any men who try and interfere with Faile when Faile goes with Galina (KoD, Ch. 28).
- Gaul kills the man who she is gai'shan to and she delights in tormenting him when she becomes Gaul's gai'shan (TGS, Ch. 21).
- She and Chiad prepare fresh arrows and spears for Gaul, claiming they were worried for his safety if he used the ones he prepared himself (ToM, Ch. 34).
"I stroked her hair and told her I would be very upset if I had to hurt her. Simple truth, considering how much toh even slapping her would cost me." (Explaining why Dairaine was so still; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 28).
"When you see Gaul, tell him Chiad is gai'shain to a man with strong hands, a man whose heart is fire." (To Faile; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 28).
"He couldn't kill the right man without accidentally slaying a few others." (about Gaul; The Gathering Storm, Chapter 21)