Suroth Sabelle Meldarath
From Tar Valon Library
Author: Estyrien al'Halien
SUE-roth sah-BEHL MEHL-dah-rath ; suggested
Suroth's full title is High Lady Suroth Sabelle Meldarath of Asinbayar and Barsabba (CoT, Ch. 6). She assumed the command of the Hailene after the disaster at Falme (TSR, Ch. 1). She has been praised repeatedly for her successes in Tarabon, Amadicia and Altara. Many people believe that Suroth has commanded the Forerunners to successes undreamed of by the Empress (WH, Ch. 14).
Suroth has both sides of her head shaved so that only a crest of black hair remains. To show that she is of the Blood, Suroth lacquers two of her fingernails blue. She has black eyes and is as tall as Liandrin. (TGH, Ch. 40) She is quite pretty (WH, Ch. 17).
- 998 NE: Suroth meets with Liandrin in Falme to capture Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne and Min. Nynaeve and Elayne escape (TGH, Ch. 40).
- 998/9 NE: Suroth rallies the Seanchan forces to Cantorin after the disaster at Falme (TSR, Ch. 1).
- 998/9 NE: Suroth sends Egeanin to Tanchico to find sul'dam who deserted after Falme. She also sends a Seeker to check on the progress being made (TSR, Ch. 38).
- 999/1000 NE: Suroth orders the attack on Tarabon and then Amadicia (ACoS, Ch. 26).
- 1000 NE: Suroth meets with Morgase in Amadicia and asks her to rule Andor in the name of the Empress; Morgase escapes (ACoS, Ch. 26).
- 1000 NE: Suroth travels to Ebou Dar by to'raken (TPoD, Ch. 6).
- 1000 NE: Suroth orders Captain-General Miraj to destroy the Asha'man (TPoD, Ch. 24).
- 1000 NE: Suroth speaks with Tuon, Tylin and Anath (WH, Ch. 17).
- 1000 NE: Suroth takes Tylin on a tour of Altara by to'raken (WH, Ch. 28).
- 1000 NE: Suroth returns to Ebou Dar when Egwene's army disappears from Murandy (WH, Ch. 31).
- 1000 NE: Suroth negotiates with Bashere and asks for Rand to meet with the "Daughter of the Nine Moons" (CoT, Epilogue).
- 1000 NE: After Tuon's disappearance Suroth worries about having to apologise to the Empress (KoD, Prologue).
- 1000 NE: She decides Elbar needs to find Darkfriends amongst the sul'dam to control Liandrin (KoD, Prologue).
- 1000 NE: Galgan tells her about Rodel Ituralde's raids in Tarabon. She orders Turan to take Rodel's head (KoD, Prologue).
- 1000 NE: Semirhage tells Suroth that the entire Imperial family is dead. Suroth decides to have Tuon killed and become Empress (KoD, Prologue).
- 1000 NE: Galgan tells her the Forerunners have been subsumed into The Return (KoD, Epilogue).
- 1000 NE: Tuon returns, with Elbar's head and orders Suroth made da'covale (KoD, Epilogue).
- 1000 NE: Suroth is being kept out of sight until her hair has grown back (TGS, Ch. 19).
- Suroth likes animals and owned a menagerie in Seanchan (TSR, Ch. 1).
- Suroth has a pet lopar called Almandaragal. He has killed assassins sent to murder her (ACoS, Ch. 26).
- Suroth's Voice of the Blood is Alwhin. She used to be sul'dam but Suroth promoted her because she knew that sul'dam could channel. (TSR, Ch. 1) Suroth does not like her (ACoS, Ch. 28) .
- Suroth moved into the Tarasin Palace shortly after the Seanchan invasion. She had the kitchen staff flogged when the meal was not to her satisfaction (WH, Ch. 16).
- Tuon was displeased by Suroth's defeat by the Asha'man (WH, Ch. 17).
- Suroth is surprised that Tuon lets Anath speak to her sharply (WH, Ch. 18).
- Renna Emain used to be Suroth's best sul'dam (WH, Ch. 20).
- Egeanin gave Suroth the male a'dam when she returned to Cantorin (WH, Ch. 21).
- Almurat Mor, a Seeker, believes that Suroth is responsible for the death of High Lord Turak and the kidnapping of Tuon. He believes that she is plotting with Aes Sedai, Egeanin, Thom and Mat (WH, Ch. 20; CoT, Ch. 4).
- Suroth is distraught when Tuon is kidnapped (CoT, Ch. 4).
- Her seal is three hands with each forefinger and little finger raised and the rest folded (CoT, Ch. 6).
- Suroth has dealings with Masema. He has a letter that puts him under her protection (CoT, Ch. 6).
- She is furious with Liandrin for killing Alwhin and having to call the Seekers into her household (KoD, Ch. 12).
- She despises Luan Galgan (KoD, Prologue).
"We both fear him. Yet even our master's needs will change with time. All marath'damane will be leashed eventually. Perhaps I will be the one who places the collar around your lovely throat." Suroth to Liandrin about Ba'alzamon (The Great Hunt, Chapter 40)
"I have begun the recovery in Tarabon. Many nobles of that land have already sworn to obey, await and serve; it will not be long before they all have... Now I begin in this Amadicia. Soon all will kneel to the Empress, may she live forever, the direct descendent of Artur Hawkwing." Suroth to Morgase about the Return (A Crown of Swords, Chapter 28)
"Under her, the Hailene had done far more than had been dreamed, reclaiming great stretches of the stolen lands... Continued success, and she might be able to shave her head entirely and paint a third nail on each hand. Adoption into the Imperial family was not unheard of for achievements so great." Kennar Miraj about Suroth (The Path of Daggers, Chapter 24)
"When we are ashore... the High Lady Suroth must be commended... And her ambition must be looked into. She has done more with the Forerunners than the Empress, may she live forever, dreamed of, but success on such a scale often breeds ambitions to match." Tuon to Anath about Suroth (Winter's Heart, Chapter 14)
"Suroth herself is even more distraught in private than in public. She sleeps poorly, snaps at her favourites, and has her property beaten over trifles. She ordered the death of one Seeker each day until matters are rectified, and only rescinded the order this morning, when she realised she might run out of Seekers before she ran out of days." Almurat Mor to Furyk Karede about Suroth and Tuon's disappearance (Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 4)